OFFICIAL Titans get their man with Fifita signing three-year deal

It just highlights how far they've got to go. They've brought in some decent building blocks but in the case of Ese'ese and Fa'asuamaleaui, are these the type of players that can shape a team, or are they the type of players that need a team to shape them? It wasn't even 12 months ago Ese'ese was struggling to play consistent NRL footy. Fa'asuamaleaui is a quality prospect running off the back of Melbourne structures but without having the likes of Bromwich, Finucane, Asofa-Solomona working in tandem will he be as effective?

Man, listening to these jokers on NRL360 talking about the Broncos mismanaging their salary cap. The only mistake they really made was Boyd. Milf had a great 2015 and was promising still when he signed in 2017. Bird was probably a little too much, but could have been the motivator that the Broncos needed. He puts in work. They make out like signing Haas and Lodge before Fifita was a huge mistake. They were literally unable to do much more than they could. Bloody even just said that Kevin Walters would need more support around him than Seibold is getting after just saying they need to fire Seibold. This is some dissonant thinking.

Evening BHQ,
The more I think about it, I'm beginning to agree with the sentiment that Fifita should not play for us moving forward.
Firstly I don't agree with the argument that by benching him we will ruin any chance of potentially re-signing him in the future. 3 years is an eternity in sport and anything can happen. We need to do what is best for our club and not feel sorry for someone's feelings who doesn't want to be apart of the organisation in any case.
Could we sit here and honestly say Fifi would play hard and give max effort for us? Given the timing of this season, one serous injury such as a pec, Achilles or ACL would essentially rule out his entire preseason with the Titans. Can we trust him?
Also I think we will all agree it will be awkward as **** watching Fifita break two tackles and score a 30m solo try! Do we cheer? Does Fifita celebrate and show any passion? How will the other players react. Seems like a disaster to me.
Just my two cents, but we need to work out who our best players and combinations are. Sorry Dave, but all the best.

I wonder if Gus will give a sufficient answer to Webster's reasonable question at the end.

I wouldn't be surprised if Macca ends up at the Titans. This is Peats last year and someone like macca would be a good fit in that club. AJ Brimsom to come back as well, I can see the green shoots coming through.

2BE71624 01FF 4FF7 B20E AFDFF98EB769

If only the club were able to come to an agreement back then.
Unfortunately we cannot control the ridiculous amount of $ that was chucked Fifita‘s way.
Just sucks that the club didn’t secure him long term prior to him going on the market.
Look at how the Roosters have handled Keary, will all reports saying he will re-sign prior to hitting the market on November 1.

Edit: This is obviously nothing on Joe.
It’s more acknowledgement that we were clearly in the box seat, and should have acted before he went to market.
The club was obviously extremely confident of retaining him.
It might be an expensive mistake that the club *hopefully* learns from but, I would also say we may see some players hit the market to see if they can get a bit more elsewhere and I guess you can’t blame them.

Last edited:
Evening BHQ,
The more I think about it, I'm beginning to agree with the sentiment that Fifita should not play for us moving forward.
Firstly I don't agree with the argument that by benching him we will ruin any chance of potentially re-signing him in the future. 3 years is an eternity in sport and anything can happen. We need to do what is best for our club and not feel sorry for someone's feelings who doesn't want to be apart of the organisation in any case.
Could we sit here and honestly say Fifi would play hard and give max effort for us? Given the timing of this season, one serous injury such as a pec, Achilles or ACL would essentially rule out his entire preseason with the Titans. Can we trust him?
Also I think we will all agree it will be awkward as **** watching Fifita break two tackles and score a 30m solo try! Do we cheer? Does Fifita celebrate and show any passion? How will the other players react. Seems like a disaster to me.
Just my two cents, but we need to work out who our best players and combinations are. Sorry Dave, but all the best.

- yes. David is good friends with the boys in this team and probably already feels bad missing half the season, on top of that he probably feels like a dog (he isn’t) and wants to bust his gut for the boys to make it up to them. I don’t think players think like that about injury. The deal is done, he gets paid regardless. He doesn’t care about the titans, he wants the money. I’d hate to see him injured but I would at least get joy out of titans misfortunes.

- no it won’t be awkward and yea I will cheer. Finally someone will be performing on our shitty team. It’ll be bitter sweet but that’s still better than our current season which is just bitter. I think the boys and Fifita will react with a lot of passion. Firstly because there hasn’t been much to celebrate for them this season but also because it’s possibly the last time some of them will ever play with their close mate.

If the boys really do understand Fifita leaving, and if they are as close to him as they say they are, this being their final season together will give them some extra motivation to perform.

It just highlights how far they've got to go. They've brought in some decent building blocks but in the case of Ese'ese and Fa'asuamaleaui, are these the type of players that can shape a team, or are they the type of players that need a team to shape them? It wasn't even 12 months ago Ese'ese was struggling to play consistent NRL footy. Fa'asuamaleaui is a quality prospect running off the back of Melbourne structures but without having the likes of Bromwich, Finucane, Asofa-Solomona working in tandem will he be as effective?
Well, we have the underpaid Haas, 21 starting with possibly Lodge 25. Not hugely experienced and still a very young pairing. I rate both of them of course. Not sure what the past has to do with Ese'ese, not long ago he couldn't get a start...somewhere! It's not relevant.

The Tits might start with Ese'ese 26 and Joliffe 24 or Lisone 27, basically mature props and most of us agree that the more mature props are better over a season. Bearing in mind an older and wiser Wallace 28 is still battling away. That's four of their props, the more mature types and they've got another three ready to go too. Considering they have Fotuaki as one of the younger breed they seem to have the blend pretty right.

It's when you look at the pack as a whole that it's apparent it's pretty bloody solid but the hooker and lock are areas that need strengthening. One guy who amazed me earlier on in the season is Young To-Numb-To-Pee, he was incredible the game I watched. Flat out and ran hard, pretty much all game. He may be out injured or out of favour, don't know but the Titans are definitely going to be stronger next year and I would not be surprised if they finish ahead of us. Would that be a first time ?

Last edited:

- yes. David is good friends with the boys in this team and probably already feels bad missing half the season, on top of that he probably feels like a dog (he isn’t) and wants to bust his gut for the boys to make it up to them. I don’t think players think like that about injury. The deal is done, he gets paid regardless. He doesn’t care about the titans, he wants the money. I’d hate to see him injured but I would at least get joy out of titans misfortunes.

- no it won’t be awkward and yea I will cheer. Finally someone will be performing on our shitty team. It’ll be bitter sweet but that’s still better than our current season which is just bitter. I think the boys and Fifita will react with a lot of passion. Firstly because there hasn’t been much to celebrate for them this season but also because it’s possibly the last time some of them will ever play with their close mate.

If the boys really do understand Fifita leaving, and if they are as close to him as they say they are, this being their final season together will give them some extra motivation to perform.

He should feel like a dog because he is one, I guarantee he doesn’t give a shit though.

Don’t be surprised to see him want to come back in 12-18 months

The titans won’t win shit and we could start going maybe

I feel like he’s gone all in on the titans and will struggle to go anywhere else unless he’s happy to take a massive pay cut now. We certainly won’t be able to pay him big to come back.

Well, we have the underpaid Haas, 21 starting with possibly Lodge 25. Not hugely experienced and still a very young pairing. I rate both of them of course. Not sure what the past has to do with Ese'ese, not long ago he couldn't get a start...somewhere! It's not relevant.

The Tits might start with Ese'ese 26 and Joliffe 24 or Lisone 27, basically mature props and most of us agree that the more mature props are better over a season. Bearing in mind an older and wiser Wallace 28 is still battling away. That's four of their props, the more mature types and they've got another three ready to go too. Considering they have Fotuaki as one of the younger breed they seem to have the blend pretty right.

It's when you look at the pack as a whole that it's apparent it's pretty bloody solid but the hooker and lock are areas that need strengthening. One guy who amazed me earlier on in the season is Young To-Numb-To-Pee, he was incredible the game I watched. Flat out and ran hard, pretty much all game. He may be out injured or out of favour, don't know but the Titans are definitely going to be stronger next year and I would not be surprised if they finish ahead of us. Would that be a first time ?

As I said, is Ese'ese the type of player who needs the club to influence him or can he influence the club? When the Knights were struggling, his form fell off the cliff as well and he was in and out of first grade as a result. I've seen nothing yet to suggest he can come into a struggling club and lift them.

The likes of Lisone and Joliffe are solid players to have in your rotation, but the competition is filled with really good rotations. This is supposed to be the Gold Coast's biggest strength and at this stage I'm not sure if I would put them in my Top 8 let alone Top 4.

As far as the Broncos, all bets are off until they get a new coach. At this very second I believe they have similar prospects but that could all change in a day let alone by the time the 2021 season rolls around.

I believe the player you're talking about is Young Tonumaipea. He played well against Wests, certainly one of his better games but I'd have to see more from him before getting too carried away. He never really kicked on at Melbourne and he always struck me as a middle of the road player.

As I said, is Ese'ese the type of player who needs the club to influence him or can he influence the club? When the Knights were struggling, his form fell off the cliff as well and he was in and out of first grade as a result. I've seen nothing yet to suggest he can come into a struggling club and lift them.

The likes of Lisone and Joliffe are solid players to have in your rotation, but the competition is filled with really good rotations. This is supposed to be the Gold Coast's biggest strength and at this stage I'm not sure if I would put them in my Top 8 let alone Top 4.

As far as the Broncos, all bets are off until they get a new coach. At this very second I believe they have similar prospects but that could all change in a day let alone by the time the 2021 season rolls around.

I believe the player you're talking about is Young Tonumaipea. He played well against Wests, certainly one of his better games but I'd have to see more from him before getting too carried away. He never really kicked on at Melbourne and he always struck me as a middle of the road player.
Last to first, yes it was probably against the Tigpies, a team the Titans beat and also the team who absolutely flogged us to a nil response. I thought he did a two year mission? Maybe that was the reason he didn't 'kick on'. Mind you, I could totally have that arse about or just be plain mistaken.

As for the pack it's been my observation that you don't need to have the very best pack, it's more that you need a pack that can nullify the opposing pack, cancel them out, so to speak. This new pack just might provide that. My point is well made I believe with the Titans last game. Look at the opposition, Penrith. Certainly they've always been a forward oriented team and boy, are they ever going well yet the Titans matched them and gave themselves a genuine shot at winning.

Sure, the Broncos will rise again but it just may be they'll be hoping to be going as well as the Tits in two years time, hell in 12 months time. I just think Holbrooks finally the right coach and he's already started building a good team even without a roster of his choosing.

Last edited:
Last to first, yes it was probably against the Tigpies, a team the Titans beat and also the team who absolutely flogged us to a nil response. I thought he did a two year mission? Maybe that was the reason he didn't 'kick on'. Mind you, I could totally have that arse about or just be plain mistaken.

As for the pack it's been my observation that you don't need to have the very best pack, it's more that you need a pack that can nullify the opposing pack, cancel them out, so to speak. This new pack just might provide that. My point is well made I believe with the Titans last game. Look at the opposition, Penrith. Certainly they've always been a forward oriented team and boy, are they ever going well yet the Titans matched them and gave themselves a genuine shot at winning.

Sure, the Broncos will rise again but it just may be they'll be hoping to be going as well as the Tits in two years time, hell in 12 months time. I just think Holbrooks finally the right coach and he's already started building a good team even without a roster of his choosing.

Tonumaipea had been around for years prior to his mission and he couldn't have done the full two years since his last game was in 2018. He played well in that one game, but based on his career in general he's got a lot way to go before I consider him a plus.

As you illustrated with your XIII, the rest of the roster has a long way to go. Based on what we've seen from the players you named, the players are among the worst in the competition and it's going to take a lot of development and turn-over to function as a successful team.

Tonumaipea had been around for years prior to his mission and he couldn't have done the full two years since his last game was in 2018. He played well in that one game, but based on his career in general he's got a lot way to go before I consider him a plus.

As you illustrated with your XIII, the rest of the roster has a long way to go. Based on what we've seen from the players you named, the players are among the worst in the competition and it's going to take a lot of development and turn-over to function as a successful team.
Respectfully I'm going to have to disagree with your 'worst in the competition' description!! That worst beat our best and also beat the team that smashed us. They're even better in attack and defence than us so this year, we're close to worst. Tell me BP, this worst team, will we finish higher or will they? Who is a better chance of winning games over the last nine rounds? I do respect your opinion and the research you do but I think you WANT to believe something this time with scant evidence or reason to believe.

We are talking about next year too and they're adding Ese'ese, Fifita and Tino to the roster that was already too good for us, who are we adding that is going to make us stronger? Yes, I know we've had injuries but our best side? It still contains Croft, Milford and Boyd with only Boyd gone next year. Also we must be weaker next year because we'll have lost Fifita. What are our gains that give you such optimism about the Broncos and such pessimism toward the Titans?

Respectfully I'm going to have to disagree with your 'worst in the competition' description!! That worst beat our best and also beat the team that smashed us. They're even better in attack and defence than us so this year, we're close to worst. Tell me BP, this worst team, will we finish higher or will they? Who is a better chance of winning games over the last nine rounds? I do respect your opinion and the research you do but I think you WANT to believe something this time with scant evidence or reason to believe.

We are talking about next year too and they're adding Ese'ese, Fifita and Tino to the roster that was already too good for us, who are we adding that is going to make us stronger? Yes, I know we've had injuries but our best side? It still contains Croft, Milford and Boyd with only Boyd gone next year. Also we must be weaker next year because we'll have lost Fifita. What are our gains that give you such optimism about the Broncos and such pessimism toward the Titans?

I didn't say THE worst, I said among the worst which they are at 3-8.

My opinion has nothing to do with the Brisbane Broncos. As I said with them, all bets are off until they get a new coach. My point on the Gold Coast Titans is that they still have a long way to go before they can be considered a decent team.

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • Brocko
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.