OFFICIAL Titans get their man with Fifita signing three-year deal

I think Gus Gould pretty much nails this situation, he's speaking truth to power regarding the Broncos over the past few months I have thought.

TLDR: Gus is saying that:

* Why did the negotiations go on for 12 months with Fifita? Should have been locked up (oops) on contract earlier
* Titans are overspending irresponsibly on Fifi, if Jason Taumolo is on 1M at the cows and regulary their best player and still can't win them games.. what is Fifi going to do at the Titans?

Kind of hard to argue with any of that logic...

Isn't it going to be interesting what happens on the coast with a few of their cashed up young gentleman this off season :)

On paper it reads as $1m difference; however this is purely cap only.
However let's face the reality here. With the size and scale of our club and third party reach, the pay gap would've been a whole lot smaller with corporate sponsorship.
Who was bloody advising him?
His mum 🙄

I just heard a new theory on the Fifita signing.

I watched the start of Inside NRL on NRL.com. to sum up their opinions:

Chammas said that this signing was all about money and the offer was simply too good to refuse.

Soward said the biggest factor was coaching and Fifita would have weighed up who could make him better as a player and that Holbrook is a very good coach. '

Then Soward dropped his theory ... that Fifita signed a 3 year contract with the Titans because that's hopw long Seibs has left on his contract if he doesn't get sacked. he left out the fact that the vast majority of contracts in rugby league are either 2 or 3 year deals.

if this was even remotely the case, then Fifita (or his mum or both) is insanely stupid. because Seibs is at long odds to be the coach in 2021 (despite what the board say publicly). either hold out until October or sign a 1 year deal, then you don't get locked into the shithole down the road for three years

Last edited:
Well, we do know they paid overs for Fifita but that may result in some savings on others who MAY wish to join him. We cannot know the future and it's fine to say 'it's all a mistake etc' but until proven it's just speculation as is contrary views. Which 2021 players aren't decent and ASIDE from an objection to others spending THEIR money as they see fit, what is the issue with the team assembled so far??

The team assembled so far mainly consists of depth players that would not be in the top 30 of most other clubs, overpaid players chosen because of highlight reels, and even more overpaid players because it was the only way to get them to play for them. There are a handful of legit first graders in there that are getting paid what they're worth, but it is the exception.

Notable examples:

Cartwright & Peachey. Both recruited because of their highlight reels, both incredibly talented but incredibly dumb and inconsistent. If they played their best football every week then they may be worth close to what they paid them, but their entire careers suggest that they never, ever will. Peachey at least has a dig, Cartwright has the work ethic of a trophy wife of a bum that won lotto. I'm surprised they never had a dig at Krisnan Inu for $600k a season, and I'm not ruling them out of signing BJ Leilua at a cool eight-fiddy when the Tigers get sick of him.

Wallace, Arrow, even Boyd, are players that actually made sense for them, but they had to pay a good 20-30% more than market value to pry them away. That does not bode well for the rest of the club's roster. Wallace was worth his money for around a month, and Arrow would be worth it if he could get over his various niggles. Arrow is now gone. Coming in is Ese'ese, who was nabbed by the Knights from us in a Titanesque fashion, at more than he was worth, and even though he's been going okay for the latter part of this season, there is no guarantee it's more than a purple patch for him. The Knights obviously weren't convinced, otherwise they wouldn't have let him go.

Then we have Taylor, and now Fifita and Tino, on the "what the **** are they getting paid?" scale. Fifita is the only one that is somewhat proven, hence why his salary is eye-watering. Taylor has proven what a bust he is, and Tino is no different to various other hyped up young forwards who may prove to be worth their current value in maybe 5 years time.

Its just smacks of misamangement on his behalf. The sheer fact it took so long means his camp doesn't currently have the clarity to weight up pros and cons easily. Its a worry for sure, as there was no need to drag it out, unfortunately it looks worse for him the longer it went on. Thats not a great start to a cash busting career.

Last edited:
Any news on how his management issue was magically resolved?

I've wondered for a while now, is there anything stopping a club just paying a player manager direct? Just invoices as consultancy etc?

The team assembled so far mainly consists of depth players that would not be in the top 30 of most other clubs, overpaid players chosen because of highlight reels, and even more overpaid players because it was the only way to get them to play for them. There are a handful of legit first graders in there that are getting paid what they're worth, but it is the exception.

Notable examples:

Cartwright & Peachey. Both recruited because of their highlight reels, both incredibly talented but incredibly dumb and inconsistent. If they played their best football every week then they may be worth close to what they paid them, but their entire careers suggest that they never, ever will. Peachey at least has a dig, Cartwright has the work ethic of a trophy wife of a bum that won lotto. I'm surprised they never had a dig at Krisnan Inu for $600k a season, and I'm not ruling them out of signing BJ Leilua at a cool eight-fiddy when the Tigers get sick of him.

Wallace, Arrow, even Boyd, are players that actually made sense for them, but they had to pay a good 20-30% more than market value to pry them away. That does not bode well for the rest of the club's roster. Wallace was worth his money for around a month, and Arrow would be worth it if he could get over his various niggles. Arrow is now gone. Coming in is Ese'ese, who was nabbed by the Knights from us in a Titanesque fashion, at more than he was worth, and even though he's been going okay for the latter part of this season, there is no guarantee it's more than a purple patch for him. The Knights obviously weren't convinced, otherwise they wouldn't have let him go.

Then we have Taylor, and now Fifita and Tino, on the "what the **** are they getting paid?" scale. Fifita is the only one that is somewhat proven, hence why his salary is eye-watering. Taylor has proven what a bust he is, and Tino is no different to various other hyped up young forwards who may prove to be worth their current value in maybe 5 years time.
Okay, whatever but there's a thread for the Titans stuff now. I'll not go off this threads intented topic but happy to answer, rebutt there some of your post.

Any news on how his management issue was magically resolved?

I've wondered for a while now, is there anything stopping a club just paying a player manager direct? Just invoices as consultancy etc?
Or is it a 1 year deal with PO for the next 2.
Ditch after 1 year and come back with a new manager whilst pocketing a large amount of $$

Mate if you are so keen on the Tits, just sign up to their forum and debate away to your hearts content. I am sick of reading about them on here.
Huh? I'm the one suggesting WE NOT discuss the Titans in this thread. Wtf?

Ditch after 1 year and come back with a new manager whilst pocketing a large amount of $$
This is what I was thinking. Are there any clauses or options in this contract?

That would be hilarious, but his PO would be at $1M+, he would have had a taste of the sweet sweet dollars after year 1, that would be hard to break away from.

I love the way this signing puts all of the pressure on the Titans.

Mate if you are so keen on the Tits, just sign up to their forum and debate away to your hearts content. I am sick of reading about them on here.
Morkel writes hundreds of words about the Titans and I say, let's not discuss it here and you decide that you won't mention Morkel but you quote me who is literally saying 'let's NOT talk about the Titans in this thread' as if I'm continuing the discussion. How about being reasonable and fair?

Morkel writes hundreds of words about the Titans and I say, let's not discuss it here and you decide that you won't mention Morkel but you quote me who is literally saying 'let's NOT talk about the Titans in this thread' as if I'm continuing the discussion. How about being reasonable and fair?

That would be hilarious, but his PO would be at $1M+, he would have had a taste of the sweet sweet dollars after year 1, that would be hard to break away from.
I hear ya ! Although it's the first year that blows our offer out the door , $700k - $1.25m.
So $550k hit the first yr then to $300k down to $200k , so really the first yr is more than the next 2.

First post I have seen from Morkel about the Titans, about the 10th I had seen from you. Hence my observation.

Active Now

• Culhwch
  • GCBRONCO
  • LittleDavey
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Lurker
  • Xzei
  • Waynesaurus
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Wolfie
  • Skyblues87
  • broncs30
  • Manifesto
  • Wendall Taylor
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.