NEWS Top Bronco sends SOS to Israel

One of the problems Folau had was that the major sponsor was Qantas. You’re right it’s a difficult and complex issue. Definitely a commercial/moral hybrid. I wonder if he would’ve had the same problem expressing these views to his congregation rather than on Twitter, a forum where he’s followed largely as a result of his football abilities. A fact I’m sure that’s a point that’s not lost to his handlers.

What a funny nation?
You'd think the most hated man would be Eddie McGuire for being a racist **** on air but no it's a talented islander who posted an image of a bible verse on his private twitter account.
Outside of one particular football club and one television network, I'd put it to you that McGuire IS one of the more universally hated people in Australia.

Also, to add, does this mean any high profile individual, from sports starts, to celebrities, to politicians, cannot talk about their faith in public, for fear of losing their jobs? You specifically said Izzy cant use his high profile and role model status to promote his views, regardless of how irrational you or i find them to be.
Sounds like discrimination and suppression of free speech to me Huge, and that can lead down a path where you are suppressed if your views differ from others, regardless of what side of the fence you sit on.
It isn't even that Izzy can't talk abut his faith in public, it is HOW he speaks about it.
From someone who was in organised religion, and isn't anymore, there are better ways to go about it.
Use your profile to speak positive messages about your god and how religion has made you a better person (if it has in your belief).
You don't have to spruke negative messages about how bad people are and what awaits them.
It's really very very easy to be a Christian, play NRL, and speak positively about your god, and not speak against the beliefs of your employer.

It isn't even that Izzy can't talk abut his faith in public, it is HOW he speaks about it.
From someone who was in organised religion, and isn't anymore, there are better ways to go about it.
Use your profile to speak positive messages about your god and how religion has made you a better person (if it has in your belief).
You don't have to spruke negative messages about how bad people are and what awaits them.
It's really very very easy to be a Christian, play NRL, and speak positively about your god, and not speak against the beliefs of your employer.
Totally. Plenty of folk have an imaginary friend yet still function quite well. Just keep to statements they can prove and all will be well.

Totally. Plenty of folk have an imaginary friend yet still function quite well. Just keep to statements they can prove and all will be well.
Im not a religious person but this is pretty ironic.

I agree, however the point is, that Izzy has done nothing illegal, or anything that should bar him from employment.
Is there better ways to promote his faith? For sure, but he is also well within his rights, according to the law, to promote his religion however he see's fit.

Additionally, what he is posting is not wrong according to his faith. If you take Izzy out of the picture for a minute, both the Bible and the Quran both teach what Izzy was posting.
So long as it is legal for Izzy to preach to the public his beliefs, then he is free to preach it how he wants without restriction from people who don't agree with him, certainly not to the point of telling him he is free to preach so long as he does it how we want him to do it or he wont be allowed to play football.
That has moved to the illusion of free speech at that point.

The bottom line is, Israel is being barred from employment because he preaches his faith.
He has done nothing illegal and to deny him employment on these grounds is religious discrimination.

This is nonsense.

No religion can prove their faith, not a single one, from Buddhists to Catholics and every religion in between, so you are efficiently saying no religion can preach their faith period.

This is nonsense.

No religion can prove their faith, not a single one, from Buddhists to Catholics and every religion in between, so you are efficiently saying no religion can preach their faith period.
You say that like it's a bad thing!

There's plenty within the religions that can be openly expressed. Things like love your neighbour, don't lie cheat steal or kill. Plenty of stuff but if it's a claim about a god or the properties of a god then no, it should always be explained that none of it is proven, that it's only a theory in the first sense of the word. In short, if it cannot be proven then it should have a dislaimer.

Yes - delightfully dripping with irony. As an agnostic I'd be most grateful if Huge could provide said proof to clear up a lot of confusion. This may well be a momentous event right here on BHQ!
I'm not the one making the claims about gods and the gods opinion, demeanour and views.

Again, I know Folau posted that image fucking ages ago and there was some footage of him leaked when he was giving a sermon, but it's not like he's out there spruiking this shit on the regular.

I agree, however the point is, that Izzy has done nothing illegal, or anything that should bar him from employment.
Is there better ways to promote his faith? For sure, but he is also well within his rights, according to the law, to promote his religion however he see's fit.

Additionally, what he is posting is not wrong according to his faith. If you take Izzy out of the picture for a minute, both the Bible and the Quran both teach what Izzy was posting.
So long as it is legal for Izzy to preach to the public his beliefs, then he is free to preach it how he wants without restriction from people who don't agree with him, certainly not to the point of telling him he is free to preach so long as he does it how we want him to do it or he wont be allowed to play football.
That has moved to the illusion of free speech at that point.

The bottom line is, Israel is being barred from employment because he preaches his faith.
He has done nothing illegal and to deny him employment on these grounds is religious discrimination.
Well, in that case they're going to find a different reason to block him. I always thought he was a champion player but that's all I want from a player. I don't care about role model status, his opinions on music, science, life, religion anything at all. When I hire an electrician I only want his electrical skill and nothing else. I think a club should have the right to hire a guy to play rugby league and that player should shut the **** up about other stuff especially stuff he cannot prove and is hurtful to others.

Well, in that case they're going to find a different reason to block him. I always thought he was a champion player but that's all I want from a player. I don't care about role model status, his opinions on music, science, life, religion anything at all. When I hire an electrician I only want his electrical skill and nothing else. I think a club should have the right to hire a guy to play rugby league and that player should shut the **** up about other stuff especially stuff he cannot prove and is hurtful to others.
I couldn't agree more, however the opposite also applies.
I only care about what Israel can do on the field, i could care less if he believes in God, or that he yells his beliefs on every social media platform out there as it has no bearing on me whatsoever.

I can easily ignore social media, nothing is compelling me to watch Folaus twitter feed or his Instagram account, the only time i see him is when his tearing down the sideline for a try in the Broncos jersey.

I also want to reiterate that really, the only people that Folaus silly tweets have an effect on, are people that believe in hell in the first place.
If Cameron Smith converted to Scientology and started tweeting that we all need to repent because Klatu's return is imminent and our souls are in mortal peril for whatever reason, i would laugh at him, call him a fool, then proceed to watch him tear it up as the Broncos captain for this coming season.

If you don't like his opinion don't ask it and if you didn't ask him don't read it or follow him on social media. People are acting like they are forced to listen, nobody is forced to listen to or follow him.

This modern world is always looking for reasons to be offended. Social media has given rise to everyone seeing people's opinions that they never usually would. But it's just the same as real life, you wouldn't be a friend with somebody who's values don't agree with yours so why would you go out of your way to essentially stalk somebody on Instagram you know is a conservative religious person just waiting for them to say something you disagree with. Ignore them and leave them alone. If the guy was talking about harming people, that's a different thing altogether but actually believing in what your faith says is not harming, especially seeing the way he sees it he is attempting to save people from a end point being hell that he believes is a very real outcome for those that don't trust in Jesus.

If you don't like his opinion don't ask it and if you didn't ask him don't read it or follow him on social media. People are acting like they are forced to listen, nobody is forced to listen to or follow him.

This modern world is always looking for reasons to be offended. Social media has given rise to everyone seeing people's opinions that they never usually would. But it's just the same as real life, you wouldn't be a friend with somebody who's values don't agree with yours so why would you go out of your way to essentially stalk somebody on Instagram you know is a conservative religious person just waiting for them to say something you disagree with. Ignore them and leave them alone. If the guy was talking about harming people, that's a different thing altogether but actually believing in what your faith says is not harming, especially seeing the way he sees it he is attempting to save people from a end point being hell that he believes is a very real outcome for those that don't trust in Jesus.
Well said.

Indeed that's true Huge. However you made the comment that people should 'keep to statements they can prove and all will be well'. In suggesting that people who believe in religion have 'imaginary' friends, and that 'smart logical' people are not involved in any religious beliefs, one can only assume you would have proof to back up your statements.
I cannot disprove the existence of the easter bunny and santa either. I can however prove that people have imaginary friends and that smart logical people do not have religious beliefs. You know how? By their stated belief that their friend cannot be seen, you have to 'imagine' them. Secondly, I didn't say ALL smart logical people do not have religious beliefs. There's proof that many smart logical people do not have religious beliefs because they've stated so.

I cannot disprove the existence of the easter bunny and santa either. I can however prove that people have imaginary friends and that smart logical people do not have religious beliefs. You know how? By their stated belief that their friend cannot be seen, you have to 'imagine' them. Secondly, I didn't say ALL smart logical people do not have religious beliefs. There's proof that many smart logical people do not have religious beliefs because they've stated so.
The typical reply I've got from discussions with religious people is that the absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence.
Its a strange notion because it can be applied to almost anything.
I cannot disprove purple octopuses live on the dark side of the moon, ergo purple octopuses must live on the dark side of the moon.
The other one is "God works in mysterious ways" which is cop-out speak for " i cant answer that with anything other than nonsense".

The fear of death, and what comes after really drives people to desperately seek reassurance, the church monopolized on this very early on and have established themselves ever since.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Sproj
  • Xzei
  • cento
  • Big Del
  • Foordy
  • Fozz
  • GCBRONCO
  • FACTHUNT
  • kiwi2
  • Fitzy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.