Trial 1: Broncos vs Cowboys

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
As much as I respect Vidot for his efforts last year, it might be worth debating whether or not we do get a much better, faster finisher on our wings. I'm not discounting his contribution to the team with his hit ups at all, but in light of Blair and Gavet coming up here, our circumstances require players with speed and agility over more metre eaters.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
That sounds great IBM, except we don't have any quick wingers who know how to finish.

Copley, Reed, Hodges are all centres.

Maranta is quick, but can't finish.
Vidot is big and strong, not quick, and can't finish.
Eden is a fullback, have no idea if he can finish or catch a ball.
Kahu will be playing fullback half the season.

Who does that even leave?.. Carlin Anderson? Never seen him play

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
That sounds great IBM, except we don't have any quick wingers who know how to finish.

One of the Nikorima brothers? One of them has to be broken in to first grade eventually anyway

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Thanks Pete

I went to the game with the mindset that it's just a trial game and if we catch bombs and complete our sets(a major improvement on last yeah) I'll be happy.

The first bomb of the night went up, I held my breath, Kahu went up, and came down without the ball. :( the ball was allowed to bounce a few times throughout the night.

No real big plays. there were a few half breaks and off loads (McGuire)that we made some extra meters off.

A mixed bag from KNiko, he came on and put joeOfa over close to the line for our first and only try. And that's about all the good from him a few handling errors early in the set.

Vidor looks good and think he's a certainty for a wing spot Making his standard 6-10m after contact every run. Maranta on the other hand... I don't want to be too hard on the guy cause you can see he tries hard But eventually you have to stop and measure the gap between him and the one yowyeh left to fill.

Not so much bad plays but bad errors McC rushing In from dummy half with the one hand pick up (in wet conditions) only to leave the ball behind him. Waddell did the same. (we really need to remove the unforced errors from our game)

No real bolters but Im impressed by gavet and think he's all but certain of a bench spot.

I think Joe Ofa has got some real talent and would like to see him maybe Get some game time this year.

Dodds went down with about 2mins to go after a heavy tackle (looked to be his leg)

It's good to hear about Gavet. From the few times watching him before this year, he certainly didn't lack the talent to be a good player. It seems like he only struggled with issues off the field, so hopefully that works out OK.

He's definitely the best signing other than Milford this year IMO. But who knows how things will turn out.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
One of the Nikorima brothers? One of them has to be broken in to first grade eventually anyway

The Nikorima brothers are both 5ft tall and are known to have massive problems under the high ball and defensively.. that would be career suicide to debut them on the wing.

Marty Deutschmann

Marty Deutschmann

NRL Captain
Oct 23, 2013
The Nikorima brothers are both 5ft tall and are known to have massive problems under the high ball and defensively.. that would be career suicide to debut them on the wing.

Yeah exactly. . The way I see it.. kodi is front runner for utility bench spot. Given he was the only player capable of piercing the Cowboys defense in the trial with milford and hunt both failing to setup points... That and his nines performance. I think Bennett really rates him

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
Yeah exactly. . The way I see it.. kodi is front runner for utility bench spot. Given he was the only player capable of piercing the Cowboys defense in the trial with milford and hunt both failing to setup points... That and his nines performance. I think Bennett really rates him

To be fair, the Broncos twitter said numerous Broncos players made line breaks throughout the game.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008

No, it leaves Darius Boyd in his best position which of course won't happen. But it does answer the question.

The other question is why Vidot is on the wing in the first place, and maybe another is what is our recruitment policy for 1st grade wingers.

I am not arguing for Oates on the wing, but his performance there in 2103 was rather satisfying, and, like Manu, shows that a big winger who can bloody run and score tries is what's it's all about (if you want a big man on the wing).

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
No, it leaves Darius Boyd in his best position which of course won't happen. But it does answer the question.

The other question is why Vidot is on the wing in the first place, and maybe another is what is our recruitment policy for 1st grade wingers.

I am not arguing for Oates on the wing, but his performance there in 2103 was rather satisfying, and, like Manu, shows that a big winger who can bloody run and score tries is what's it's all about (if you want a big man on the wing).

At least Vidot is consistent when he runs hard. Vatuvei only shows up once every three games. There aren't that many good wingers around and the ones that are around want to play at the back and whinge on social media.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013

Do you really think Boyd's best position is wing? I don't think you're giving enough credit to Thurston & Inglis. He's clearly a better Fullback than Winger, as many people have pointed out, his tries in origin are mainly due to the brilliance of those two guys.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Do you really think Boyd's best position is wing? I don't think you're giving enough credit to Thurston & Inglis. He's clearly a better Fullback than Winger, as many people have pointed out, his tries in origin are mainly due to the brilliance of those two guys.

can we bring back the dislike button for this post ...

Boyd is best at finishing off the good work of others, which is why when he plays in teams with the quality of Inglis, Thurston, Lockyer etc around him he scores boatloads of tries; but, however, when he is responsible for carrying the team on his shoulders, like he had to at the Knights ... he hasn't lived up to expectation for the most part

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013

Boyd is best at finishing off the good work of others, which is why when he plays in teams with the quality of Inglis, Thurston, Lockyer etc around him he scores boatloads of tries; but, however, when he is responsible for carrying the team on his shoulders, like he had to at the Knights ... he hasn't lived up to expectation for the most part

His best season ever was at fullback..

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011

So when he has to carry the expectations and fails, it embodies him as a player, but when he has to carry the expectations and he succeeds it has no bearing?

U

Unbiased Nostalgia

NYC Player
Jan 23, 2015
I don't rate him but I'll have to agree with unbreakable and cult about fullback being Boyd's best position.

But hey Foordy I can understand where you're coming from and you're pretty much spot on about Boyd as a finisher.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
when he is responsible for carrying the team on his shoulders, like he had to at the Knights ... he hasn't lived up to expectation for the most part

Yeah, screw that Boyd guy, can't even single handedly carry a team to a premiership, what a scrub lol, send him to QCUP imo.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Yeah, screw that Boyd guy, can't even single handedly carry a team to a premiership, what a scrub lol, send him to QCUP imo.

Where did i ever say to drop the guy ...

He is an awesome winger ... he is an awesome FINISHER and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

not every winger has to be a fullback, as much as many of them seem to want to these days

Active Now

• marw
  • sooticus
  • Old Mate
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.