Trial 1: Broncos vs Cowboys

Very strong side for a trial game but getting the spine game time and time to gel can do wonders for your team so they will know each others games well by the first week of the season. Hope Kahu takes his chance with both hands I would love him to get a shot in the starting team this year.

Kahu was strong at the back when he played there in the trial last year. I have no doubt he will be strong at the back again.

this is a little bit off topic but still highly relevant. the sad passing and funeral of the young cowboy regan grieve was today in mackay. Over a 1000 people attended including some young broncos and a large contingent of cowboys players and officials. I expect to see a highly emotional local crowd and players on saturday evening for the trial. R.I.P

What's the deal with Green? Dude has done nothing but play ISC since we signed him but he's still in our top 25? Surely we can promote another young player ahead of him.

Been thinking about the team all week, bloody makes everything go slow, wish the season would start already.

So apparently Cullen is no longer associated with us. Anyone know what qld cup team he will be playing for and if he has actually been signed by the cowboys? Or is it more like trialling with the first grade team?

Hi everyone, just noticed nobody has updated the site with the result of the trial game.

18-6 to the Cowboys. Was 6 all at half time. Then the Cowboys ran in two tries in the last 12 mins.

The thing that lost us the game was just poor ball handling.

One of the first things I noticed that i found interesting was that Vidor lined up on the right and Maranta on the left edge.

Our forward pack looked good. Gavet ran hard defended well. Blair was solid. McGuire was our best and threw a few good off loads.

If you guys have any questions about the game I can try and answer them.

Hi everyone, just noticed nobody has updated the site with the result of the trial game.

18-6 to the Cowboys. Was 6 all at half time. Then the Cowboys ran in two tries in the last 12 mins.

The thing that lost us the game was just poor ball handling.

One of the first things I noticed that i found interesting was that Vidor lined up on the right and Maranta on the left edge.

Our forward pack looked good. Gavet ran hard defended well. Blair was solid. McGuire was our best and threw a few good off loads.

If you guys have any questions about the game I can try and answer them.

I think the thing most people would be interested in is how Hunt and Milford went together. Anything you can share there?

I'll be honest it was a little lack luster. (Not really a reflection of them specifically but Nothing fancy about the game at all really). Having said that, Hunt was definitely the dominant half and the organiser. Milford was sniffing around the ruck a few times and defended well, a few times he had to come across in cover defence and either made the tackle or held them up till help arrived.
Being only their 2nd hit out together I don't it will take much to really get them to click.

Thanks Astro this kind of insight is greatly appreciated

Yeah no worries. I've been reading these forums for A while now and thought I should contribute!
You said Blair was solid, was he playing as a prop?

Were there any set plays beyond the second man to Kahu?

Any big plays that stand out for you?

Or any bad plays?

Were there any bolters?

Or any players who you think could be in for a tough year?

Glad to finally have you on board mate!

Thanks Pete

I went to the game with the mindset that it's just a trial game and if we catch bombs and complete our sets(a major improvement on last yeah) I'll be happy.

The first bomb of the night went up, I held my breath, Kahu went up, and came down without the ball. :( the ball was allowed to bounce a few times throughout the night.

No real big plays. there were a few half breaks and off loads (McGuire)that we made some extra meters off.

A mixed bag from KNiko, he came on and put joeOfa over close to the line for our first and only try. And that's about all the good from him a few handling errors early in the set.

Vidor looks good and think he's a certainty for a wing spot Making his standard 6-10m after contact every run. Maranta on the other hand... I don't want to be too hard on the guy cause you can see he tries hard But eventually you have to stop and measure the gap between him and the one yowyeh left to fill.

Not so much bad plays but bad errors McC rushing In from dummy half with the one hand pick up (in wet conditions) only to leave the ball behind him. Waddell did the same. (we really need to remove the unforced errors from our game)

No real bolters but Im impressed by gavet and think he's all but certain of a bench spot.

I think Joe Ofa has got some real talent and would like to see him maybe Get some game time this year.

Dodds went down with about 2mins to go after a heavy tackle (looked to be his leg)

Vidot on the right and Maranta on the left is an interesting observation..

Perhaps we might be looking at Maranta left wing, Copley left centre, Hodges right centre, Vidot right wing... It would kind of balance out the team a little more I think, Copley is awful under the high ball, Maranta is good under the high ball, Maranta can't finish, Copley can..

If that's the case, hopefully Vidot turns out to be a better finisher on the right than Maranta, it shouldn't be too hard.

Active Now

• Broncorob
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.