7pm — Saturday February 26: Rabbitohs vs Dragons
5.45pm — Sunday February 27: Storm vs Knights
7pm — Monday February 28: Sharks vs Bulldogs

M

mstreet

QCup Player
Sep 3, 2020
Lol at all the drama queens on here.

It was a trial, you try different combos.
Depends on how far down the ladder you are. Where did we finish last 2 years? I get the sentiment though. It's the little things that keep adding up to big loses. Game after Game...

J

Justwin

BRL Player
Feb 18, 2022
I’d be conservative based on what we’ve seen so far..
  1. Mead (defensive sets)
  2. Cobbo (roving FB role in attacking sets and coordinated season transition)
  3. Staggs
  4. Lee
  5. Farnworth (FB backup option # 3)
  6. Walters/Mam (if not 6, Mam in ISC - he absolutely cannot be wedged into any other role)
  7. Reynolds c.
  8. James/Carrigan - Flegler rd 4
  9. Paix
  10. Haas
  11. Capewell
  12. Riki
  13. Hetherington
14. Turpin/Gamble (despite tonight’s rubbish, I really want Gamble in the team somewhere to start the season.. motivation is critical.
15. James/Carrigan
16. James/Carrigan - both pushed to bench when Flegler is back
17-21. Too many available options to make a call at this stage which is awesome!

As Cobbo transitions into fullback Periera comes in (while destroying ISC in the mean time).

The challenge appears to be when and how Ezra is brought in without the need to remove other quality players as they start to perform (eg. Billy). I expect we start with Walters at 5/8 and over time Mam comes into the 6 while Walters shifts to a starting 9 and Turps finds something else.

Other thing is obviously Oats - if he gets his shit together he takes that wing every day of the week. For some extremely unfortunate reason he just can’t get it together. I’m rooting for him though.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Depends on how far down the ladder you are. Where did we finish last 2 years? I get the sentiment though. It's the little things that keep adding up to big loses. Game after Game...
What does last years position have to do with trials?

Morepudding

Morepudding

NRL Captain
Dec 16, 2015
Billy Walters has been our best halves player in the two trials so far. Paix has been our best hooker. I really don’t think Turpin deserves the spot and can imagine Paix solidifying himself as our 9 this year. Although, I actually think Walters was even better at 9, but we need him more at 6 I think.

W

WASSHHH

Aug 24, 2017
I didn’t read the forum as I missed the live game, so watched a replay and had to catch up on about 20 pages of everyone’s posts.

If aliens invaded overnight and destroyed all of mankind; some time into the future, they may stumble onto this forum and come to the conclusion that someone called Kennedy was by far and away the best player to have ever played a sporting contest called Rugby League.

Source: Huge.

something

something

QCup Player
Jun 6, 2015
I hope our end of season halves are
9. Paix
6. Mamm
7. Reynolds
14. Walters

And I think our round 1 halves will be
9. Turpin
6. Walters
7. Reynolds
14. Paix

And I'm okay with that for now.

Accept

Accept

NRL Captain
Sep 27, 2016
They are still struggling with the basics which is what has been haunting them for three years. Basic handling errors, slow line speed and a bendable defensive line. Still a shitload of work to be done.

But the new recruits alone will make this a better side than last year. It won't make them a strong side by any means but hopefully a side that can make some noise concerning a playoff spot. Although graduating from easy beats to a finals side in the space of one season is probably asking a bit much.

J

Johnny92

NRL Player
Jul 3, 2021
I think fullbacks the biggest question mark now. Out the 2 that have trialed there (Mead and Issako) neither have convinced me their the guy to fill Tesi's shoes. Even though it's a new year Issakos 2021 brain fades can't be forgotten.
Cobbo and Herbie are yet to get time there and both could potentially hold that position even when Tesi is fit if they fire. This would free up positions to have both Peirira and Lee in the team who have been solid in both trials so far.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
Kennedy had nothing to do with it. Patty had at least 9 blokes trying to stop him and he still got his guns free to throw that offload.
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Too many cones tonight!

Brocko

Brocko

NRL Captain
Contributor
Feb 23, 2014
Kev in his post match chat on Fox said it'll be Mead or Isaako for fb in rd1 and next week will likely be the decider.

Sounds like the plan is still Tesi back in once fit.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
I didn’t read the forum as I missed the live game, so watched a replay and had to catch up on about 20 pages of everyone’s posts.

If aliens invaded overnight and destroyed all of mankind; some time into the future, they may stumble onto this forum and come to the conclusion that someone called Kennedy was by far and away the best player to have ever played a sporting contest called Rugby League.

Source: Huge.
Nope, he was better than that. He played very strongly tonight and as usual doesn't get the deserved wraps.
Big front rower, 49 minutes, 24 tackles, zero miss, 2 offloads, 7 hitups, 70 metres and 4 of those tackles were belters. Best hit up was his last from the kick off, 13 metres and had the team going forward, pretty damn good after playing the full second half. Real good effort. Of his tackles I didn't include the 9 tackles where he contributed but wasn't the lead.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
Kev in his post match chat on Fox said it'll be Mead or Isaako for fb in rd1 and next week will likely be the decider.

Sounds like the plan is still Tesi back in once fit.
Isaako was pretty good tonight. Didn't do much wrong aside from one mistimed pass.

N

nopatience101

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Broncos hooker Cory Paix showed soon after why he is a serious challenger for the starting hooker spot when he split the defensive line.

He should be, but I don’t get that impression from Kevvie at all.

Xzei

Xzei

State of Origin Rep
Mar 13, 2017

He should be, but I don’t get that impression from Kevvie at all.
Idk i still think the fact turpin isnt locked in beyond this year says alot about where he sits

NSW stables

NSW stables

NRL Player
May 3, 2019
I was initially a bit disappointed with mam's defensive reads tonight (it was consistent with his issues with defence in ISC last year), however I do think it has to be taken into consideration walters played next to capewell and brenko (two seasoned first graders and origin players) and mam played next to hosking and mariner (two reserve graders).

When he hit he was making good contact so with more experience and practice i think he will get there.

I almost think brenko and pereira have to be in the team. The titans were tearing our right side apart in the first half but then brenko and pereira moved to the right side in the second and they locked it up. Although they are not flashy, they get the job done.

This team is going to need to learn how to defend and win ugly. In 2006 we won largely on basic football using our strong forward pack and locky's kicking game to win territorial advantage and apply pressure. With our forwards and reynolds kicking game we may be able to do this again, but we have to increase our line speed and learn to attack with our defence. Line speed is so important in today's game and we have none.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Pete's take:

"playmakers bumbled their way"​
"towelled up"​
"disjointed"​
Walters, Kelly and Gamble "struggled for control"​
none "made a compelling case"​
"completed at a woeful 58 per cent"​
"failed to stamp their authority"​
Walters "moments of zip"​
Kelly "fumbled early" "struggled to take control"​
"lacklustre in defence"​
"largely beaten in the middle third"​
"must fix their defensive structures"​
"take heart" from Staggs, Flegler, Paix, Hetherington, Carrigan.​
Paix "sharp around the rucks"​
Flegler "outstanding"​
Capewell "tireless"​
Staggs "showed his class"​

Walters:

“It was a bit mixed We certainly need to be better with our ball control and it has been spoken about. I thought they (halves) played OK at different times. I don’t think anyone is in front at the moment. There was a try in the first half that was soft. We need to keep working on our defence, but I sense more togetherness this season.”​

Man of the match

McHunt

Unread

Active Now

• Jedhead
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • heartly87
  • Redfern_1980
  • BroncosAlways
  • broncos4life
  • winslow_wong
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Bucking Beads
  • The Don
  • Morkel
  • Ejbroncos
  • theshed
  • Manofoneway
  • FACTHUNT
  • scobie
  • Totally Unr3al
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.