TRIAL 3: BRONCOS 6 v COWBOYS 26

SATURDAY FEB 26, 8PM (QLD TIME), 9PM (COCKROACH TIME): BRONCOS v COWBOYS. BB PRINT STADIUM, MACKAY

WEATHER

GUSTY STORM CLEARING. 23 DEGREES.

ScreenFMVl9reVcAA97uv

BRONCOS TEAM
1. Selwyn Cobbo
2. Corey Oates
3. Kotoni Staggs
4. Herbie Farnworth
5. Jordan Pereira
6. Tyson Gamble
7. Billy Walters
8. Pat Carrigan
9. Cory Paix
10. Payne Haas
11. Kurt Capewell ©
12. Jordan Riki
13. Kobe Hetherington

14. Ryan James
15. Keenan Palasia
16. Jake Turpin
17. Rhys Kennedy
18. Corey Jensen
19. Tyson Gamble
20. TC Robati
21. David Mead
22. Ezra Mam
23. Brenko Lee
24. Jamayne Isaako

COWBOYS TEAM
1. Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow
2. Kyle Feldt
3. Valentine Holmes
4. Peta Hiku
5. Murray Taulagi
6. Tom Dearden
7. Chad Townsend
8. Jamayne Taunoa-Brown
9. Reece Robson
10. Coen Hess
11. Heilum Luki
12. Jeremiah Nanai
13. Reuben Cotter

14. Jake Granville
15. Jordan McLean
16. Mitch Dunn
17. Tom Gilbert
18. Brendan Elliot
19. Scott Drinkwater
20. Griffin Neame

Match will be telecast on Fox/Kayo.

Other matches in @theshed Cockroach time. Subtract an hour for QLD:

4pm — Sunday February 20: Panthers vs Sharks
6pm — Sunday February 20: Eels vs Dragons
7pm — Monday February 21: Bulldogs vs Knights
6pm — Friday February 25: Sea Eagles vs Raiders
8pm — Friday February 25: Roosters vs Tigers
3pm — Saturday February 26: Warriors vs Titans
5pm — Saturday February 26: Panthers vs Eels
7pm — Saturday February 26: Rabbitohs vs Dragons
5.45pm — Sunday February 27: Storm vs Knights
7pm — Monday February 28: Sharks vs Bulldogs

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
They used to have such a gun forward pack, now they have JT2 and a bunch of plodders.

Luki and Nanai are two really good young back rowers. Still think Gilbert will go onto be a very good player as well. They seem very light on quality props.

Skathen

Skathen

NRL Player
Contributor
Feb 25, 2015
After Oates admitted to phoning it in for a couple of years, really couldn't care less if he has a tanty. He's been paid far too much for too many errors and nonsense. Earn the spot or Foxtrot Oscar to dolpins

J

Johnny92

NRL Player
Jul 3, 2021
Whilst yes it will make metres. I personally think that Farnworth should play wing until Tesi is back to accommodate and reward Brenko for his good form. We can't all agree, seems kev is valuing metres over reliability to start with and well who am I to complain.
Yeah I do agree based on the trials specifically the titans one Brenko deserves a spot but if you were going off trial form he would be in over Staggs as well.
Herbie hasn't done anything to loose his centre spot at this point.

Marty Deutschmann

Marty Deutschmann

NRL Captain
Oct 23, 2013
I think it's a myth that Paix is attacking and not defensive- his technique and tackling last year was great in a team that leaked points.

Souths averaged 28 missed tackles a game and Paix missed 14 in 10 games and only one in six of his 10 games.

I have said a lot he's more robust in 21 than 19 and his tackling has improved. He does sometimes get fatigued and go back to the wrong spot.
More worried about effectiveness than completed

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
After Oates admitted to phoning it in for a couple of years, really couldn't care less if he has a tanty. He's been paid far too much for too many errors and nonsense. Earn the spot or Foxtrot Oscar to dolpins

He had those bad infections on top of his injuries and he was talking more about how he wasnt looking after himself and not doing enough to get his body right when he was talking about just doing enough to get by. He wasnt talking about his effort in games. As much as his form was down, his effort in games i dont think has ever been an issue.

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
starting at center in this trial according to Badel.

BRONCOS LIKELY TEAM FOR COWBOYS TRIAL

1. Selwyn Cobbo
2. Jordan Pereira
3. Kotoni Staggs
4. Herbie Farnworth
5. Corey Oates
6. Billy Walters
7. Albert Kelly
8. Ryan James
9. Cory Paix
10. Payne Haas
11. Kurt Capewell (c)
12. Jordan Riki
13. Kobe Hetherington

14. Jake Turpin
15. Pat Carrigan
16. Tom Flegler
17. Keenan Palasia
18. Corey Jensen
19. Rhys Kennedy
20. Brenko Lee
21. Jamayne Isaako.
I'm cool with that lineup for Round 1.

Accept

Accept

NRL Captain
Sep 27, 2016
He had those bad infections on top of his injuries and he was talking more about how he wasnt looking after himself and not doing enough to get his body right when he was talking about just doing enough to get by. He wasnt talking about his effort in games. As much as his form was down, his effort in games i dont think has ever been an issue.
Yep, I think most fans are unaware of the toll the staph infection had on him. It was a really serious matter and it has forever altered his career. He is cooked and I don't see him figuring prominently in the squad this year and I highly doubt the Dolphins are interested for next year. It is a real shame.

W

WASSHHH

Aug 24, 2017
Yep, I think most fans are unaware of the toll the staph infection had on him. It was a really serious matter and it has forever altered his career. He is cooked and I don't see him figuring prominently in the squad this year and I highly doubt the Dolphins are interested for next year. It is a real shame.
Good points.

I guess it’s about how much he wants it though. If he wants it bad enough, he could look to reinvent himself. Turn himself into the back rower he’s always said he is, or even a versatile super sub - no shame in that. Plenty of players have come back from horror injuries and, if required, tweaked their game accordingly.

Oates is still young enough if he wants it, or at least young enough to try. And he really should, as I think you’re right, it appears his time as a first grade winger is all but over.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
I totally agree with you, I don't think he's ever slacked in games but I have extremely low tolerance for a seasoned first grader on 10k a week with their only job being to look after themselves, yet they slack off.

It's completely disrespectful to the club and fans. You get paid big bucks, harden up and give 100% or negotiate a downgrade of your salary if you can't give 100% anymore.

He was more than happy to take up POs and only when he has no contract in front of him for the following year did he remember he needs to look after his body.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
I totally agree with you, I don't think he's ever slacked in games but I have extremely low tolerance for a seasoned first grader on 10k a week with their only job being to look after themselves, yet they slack off.

It's completely disrespectful to the club and fans. You get paid big bucks, harden up and give 100% or negotiate a downgrade of your salary if you can't give 100% anymore.

He was more than happy to take up POs and only when he has no contract in front of him for the following year did he remember he needs to look after his body.
Honestly, i think at one point it was such a struggle for him after those infections it makes you wonder why none of our medical staff noticed it. Really took it out of him and i reckon it took him quite a while to realise the damage it did. I think it would have been disrespectful if he was doing it deliberately, but i do think he just didnt realise what was happening to him. He got himself into a bad place sadly for him and us.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Honestly, i think at one point it was such a struggle for him after those infections it makes you wonder why none of our medical staff noticed it. Really took it out of him and i reckon it took him quite a while to realise the damage it did. I think it would have been disrespectful if he was doing it deliberately, but i do think he just didnt realise what was happening to him. He got himself into a bad place sadly for him and us.
He was one of my favourites, I genuinely hope he does have a second wind in his career because it's not like he doesn't have the physical talent too. A bit of drive and determination and this year could be his revival.

Skathen

Skathen

NRL Player
Contributor
Feb 25, 2015
Like that game where he had a full meltdown and got binned for being a moron and swearing at the ref?

Or when his form went off a cliff, becoming captain dick fingers under the highball?

His attitude on the field was not like that of a senior player in the squad.

Unread

Active Now

• Manofoneway
  • Brocko
  • Porthoz
  • winslow_wong
  • Fitzy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.