Trial #3 Warriors vs Broncos - POST GAME DISCUSSION

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
Why don't you read the threads for yourself Danoz or watch the game and formulate your own opinion?

Hunt - Put in a performance that would have caused a riot had it been Wallace.

This is quite an accurate assessment as well. I have always had a soft spot for Hunt and I felt that he was not being given a fair opportunity to develop as a half by the whole relief hooker brainstorm, but a few performances like we saw today will have to result in a conclusion that he is not a NRL half/playmaker.

He needs to take control and run things, otherwise we will be a rabble like we saw today.

noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
hunts game was as bad as a 7 can get.

fifth tackle in the attacking zone and he just hands hte ball to a standing still mcguire. that was basically his game

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
Too many halves shitting it up tells me it's not their problem as much as the coaching to be honest...

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
I would honestly rather chance my hand with Nikorima 6 and Strasser 7 at this point, rather then persist with Hunt as if he has a chance of becoming a different player overnight. The ****tiness of Wallace, Norman and Prince really shone a divine light on him that he really didn't deserve.

Barba must stay at the back. That is paramount in my eyes.

I really don't expect Barba to be our saviour to be honest (I know you did not say that and I agree he should be at fullback). He still looks limited by the ankle injury and does not appear to have full confidence in it. His stand out season came in 2012 on the back of a dominant Bulldogs pack. If our pack provide performances like today, he is not going to have space, time or the opportunity to play like he did in 2012 imo.

vertigo

vertigo

State of Origin Rep
Mar 2, 2010
I need to put my hand up and say I was wrong for putting so much faith in Hunt.

Pete's point about him being as bad as Wallace is spot on, it's just Wallace had been playing shit for years as starting halfback and had earned being on our shitlists. Hunt wont take long if he plays like that all year.

Last edited:
Russell Coight

Russell Coight

QCup Player
Jul 10, 2013
I have said my piece about the internal issues and have been criticized and told to gf on more than one occasion about my comments. Hopefully now everyone will see that all is not rosy in the club and then everyone can make some noise together and push for change.

GEE, HOOK and the rest of the CRONIES need to go.

I totally agree. You would think they would have at least changed the game plan after our worst season ever. Well done Griffin!

noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
Too many halves ****ting it up tells me it's not their problem as much as the coaching to be honest...

souths had both first choice halves out yesterday and for large parts of the game ran with 2nd tier outside backs yet their attack still flowed like a well oiled machine. you barely noticed a difference from their normal starting NRL players.

its all coaching.

Russell Coight

Russell Coight

QCup Player
Jul 10, 2013
I need to put my hand up and say I was wrong for putting so much faith in Hunt.

Pete's point about him being as bad as Wallace is spot on.

You were not alone, so many were seeing he would turn it around and be great with a full pre season under him. I think we need to just admit these players are getting no better.

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013
IMO I think Hunt will improve immensely, maybe he just had a shocker of a game.

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
I really don't expect Barba to be our saviour to be honest (I know you did not say that and I agree he should be at fullback). He still looks limited by the ankle injury and does not appear to have full confidence in it. His stand out season came in 2012 on the back of a dominant Bulldogs pack. If our pack provide performances like today, he is not going to have space, time or the opportunity to play like he did in 2012 imo.

We don't need him to replicate his 2012 form, we need him to lead by example. Say what you want about his off field discretions but whenever he is playing football, Barba always puts in 110%, or at least a shitload more than any of our mob today put in. All he cares about is getting go forward, finding gaps and scoring points, exactly what we need right now. He can do much more for us with space at the back than he can in the halves behind, as you said, our limp dicked forward pack.

Socnorb

Socnorb

NRL Captain
Contributor
Aug 5, 2013
I'm saving my full depression till round one. I doubt you would showcase any new moves in the trial games. That said I have fully prepared myself for a difficult season. At least we can have no expectations now.

ozzball

ozzball

QCup Player
Mar 17, 2013
Can't bear another season like last ... gonna go hibernate in a cave someplace and set the alarm for September :(

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
There is every chance that Hunt will take a while to settle into the halfback role as he has been developed as a bench impact player since his debut and only got a permanent halfback spot late last year. Most clubs have halfbacks that have always been used or developed as one while our first choice halfback is a newcomer to the role.

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008
I think Hunt had a lot of potential, that Griffin ruined. My hope is that it has only delayed his development and not killed it outright, but at his age, it's hard to know which it is. Hunt is 24 next month, which IMO is pretty old for a developmental player.

Still, I think he's our best hope, and for that reason alone we stick with him. I'll be clear, he was fucking shit today, and has never really excelled at any stage, but I blame that much more on Griffin than Hunt.

Unread

Active Now

• Financeguy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.