Trial #3 Warriors vs Broncos - POST GAME DISCUSSION

conspiracy-keanu.jpg

What if Hunt just isn't talented enough to play first grade halfback and hooker was his only option?

I've been the biggest roller coaster fan and hater of Ben Hunt since he first came into the team, some days I think he's absolutely phenomenal and is the answer to our halves problem, then other days I watch him and he literally looks like he's never played Halfback in his life.

I'm starting to honestly believe that it's a combination of problems that leads to his inconsistent performances -

Consistently a different Five-Eighth along side him - 20%
Doubting his ability to control the team - 30%
Horrible coaching, attacking structure - 50%

I was unbelievably excited about this season, mainly to see how well Hunt gelled with Barba, but I don't see it happening whilst we're constantly chopping and changing Five-Eighths and while Griffin is in charge.

Ben Barba is a Fullback, and a damn good one, all the talk of him being an answer at Five-Eighth is non-sense at this stage of his career, he hasn't got a great passing and kicking game, and he's a liability in defense.

If we gain some positives out of 2014, it needs to be off the back of Hunt, and the only way Hunt is going to start putting up consistent performances is if he has the same Five-Eighth next to him for a majority of the season, and if we either sack Anthony Griffin or we hire someone to coach our halves properly (Similar to what Johns did with Foran & Cherry-Evans in Manly)

I personally would have Nikorima there for Round 1, we simply don't have many options, Strasser seems to be slightly more level headed than Kodi, but he doesn't bring the X-Factor that Kodi does, which our attack desperately needs. After (Hopefully) a full season of watching Nikorima and Hunt working together in the halves, we'll have to make a choice of which one is our future, the person to partner Milford in 2015.

Mind you Milford hasn't proven himself in the halves either, so we could potentially have the exact same problem in 2015, but let's hope not.

Last edited:
I was unbelievably excited about this season, mainly to see how well Hunt gelled with Barba, but I don't see it happening whilst we're constantly chopping and changing Five-Eighths and while Griffin is in charge.

TBF it was a trial and I would expect that sort of thing. When the start of the season kicks off, I don't see that being an issue and hopefully he can begin to form a combo with someone. The concerning thing for me is that this was the last trial before the start of the season.....there should be a fair idea about who will partner him by now and the 3(?) different 6's we threw in beside him today just smacks of indecision/incompetence.

someone start a change.org petition to remove our coaching staff.

There already is one about Griffin. I posted it before and it was moved into this thread somewhere. Just search Anthony Griffin on change.org and you'll find it. It's been around for a while.

Last edited:
I am absolutely disgusted by that trial performance, and what can I truly say that hasn't already been said?
Yes it was only a trial, but that was our full entire squad playing barring a few, and that is what we dish up? It's appalling.

Do us fans seriously start considering emailing the Broncos organisation, calling them, letting them know of our displeasure?

What do we do from here?

For the first time in my life, I can foresee us possibly winning the wooden spoon, & I never thought that thought would even enter my mind!

Kahu was Hooks selection and him getting injured has probably got Hook the sack

I didn't expect us to score too many points tbh...

a) We're without our 2 most potent attacking players
b) Our halves are untested
c) Our halves keep changing so there's no continuity.

...but that does not excuse that shit house D.

In hindsight, I should have gone to the effort to actually generate that meme, but it was just a quick thought that floated through my head.

I agree with Ari on Hunt. Always thought we should have tried our very best to develop him as a half as I thought we were fine in the hooking departments and no doubt Griffin's decision to keep him as a bench utility has hurt his game a lot. I don't think he's the player the NYC Player of the Year made him out to be (same can be said about Beau Henry) but you just have to look at his opposite in Townsend to see what consistent opportunities in the halves can do for your game.

However, Townsend's performance also highlights how important it is to have some support when it comes to playmaking. It's easy to shine when you have the likes of Johnson & Tomkins easing the pressure to create opportunities & unfortunately, Hunt had basically nobody else to play off the back of. Hunt really isn't the organisational type. He can run a decent short play where he has bodies in traffic, but he needs somebody else with a bit of confidence to keep things stable to give him those opportunities. He didn't have that this afternoon and all bar maybe one opportunity, basically HAD to go the bomb because the Broncos had built no momentum or were positioned awkwardly on the field.

In saying that, Hunt had to call for the ball earlier and play like Wally and dictate those terms! Throw some different lines at players, keep the defence on their toes, work for a quick play the ball and play off the back of it. Trying to play footy on Tackle 4 each time is a recipe for disaster and if we continue to go down that path, we'll be getting used to a brand new coach in a matter of weeks.

I was confused with our structure. One particular sequence which was disturbing was Parker taking the ball one out on the 4th tackle and throwing a cut out pass to Reed. Reed gets tackled and then McCullough bombs it on the 5th.

A 5/8th or halfback not touching the ball on the 4th or 5th tackle when in the opposition half. That doesn't happen with good teams.

Then we had the Hoffman and Nikorima fullback five eight switcheroo. If you can't defend in the front line then you shouldn't be an NRL half. It's that simple. Not be a 5/8th in attack and then a fullback in defence.

Mills is woeful when he doesn't have the ball. With ball he's big, strong and powerful. In defence he is weak and timid. Unsure under the high ball. 35th minute mark where the Warriors throw a loose pass out the back and he kicks the ball out was just so stupid.

Possibly we are all overreacting. The Warriors thrash us regardless of where our team stands the last few years.

A club with that roster shouldn't be putting in performances like this. Has he ever watched a Manly/Melbourne/Souths/Roosters game and seen how they structure their attack? Seems like he is stubborn and believes that his boring style of play is the answer.

It is a trial but if this rubbish continues I hope that they deal with him swiftly and don't piss away half the season first.

I'm saving my full depression till round one. I doubt you would showcase any new moves in the trial games. That said I have fully prepared myself for a difficult season. At least we can have no expectations now.

No, but you do use moves that every club should have and they are rucking patterns which the whole club should know so no matter who is standing where you know what part you are playing in that pattern.

All teams play defensive patterns which means that you know how the defence will react and should be able to get players to move how you want and draw an over reaction or other error to create space by moving the ball.

Look at the try the Warriors scored just before half time, that was a perfect example.

We will win our fair share of games this season but to beat any of the good sides we will need to be nearly perfect with our execution and catch them on an off night as well.

I'm just so disappointed right now, even after watching the Redcliffe trial and seeing our one off structure again I was still hoping that was because of the second stringers.

I remember 1910 said that Griffin works on attack and Kearney works on defence.

Why not swap them, they are both hopeless at their current jobs? They'll probably still be hopeless, but there's always a chance.

Big Pete; we'll be getting used to a brand new coach in a matter of weeks.[/QUOTE said:
Let's hope so big p, let's hope so. Hopefully a new defensive coach too because Kearney has ruined our D

No, but you do use moves that every club should have and they are rucking patterns which the whole club should know so no matter who is standing where you know what part you are playing in that pattern.

All teams play defensive patterns which means that you know how the defence will react and should be able to get players to move how you want and draw an over reaction or other error to create space by moving the ball.

Look at the try the Warriors scored just before half time, that was a perfect example.

We will win our fair share of games this season but to beat any of the good sides we will need to be nearly perfect with our execution and catch them on an off night as well.

I'm just so disappointed right now, even after watching the Redcliffe trial and seeing our one off structure again I was still hoping that was because of the second stringers.
Like you, I'm disappointed. I working on deferring that disappointment, but it's a freight train rattling down the track towards me.
we've seen in the past poor trial form translate to something better round 1 . Would be a massive turnaround. Ummm you learn more from a loss than a win.

Last edited:
Well I'd love Griffin to leave before Rd1 and us sign a capable half. Also improve defence ten fold.

That's not too much to ask is it?

Also on a side not, why is it that every game (last year too) we seem to get steamrolled through the middle because we let the opposition play the ball far too quickly. Manly and Melbourne have one premierships because of their 'wrestle' in the ruck and slowing down the play, whereas we seem to let them jump up the instant they hit the ground. It's ridiculous.

Because as soon as we lay down slightly, for even less time we get penalized. I would have watched almost every game last year and the Broncos are on the shortest leash when it comes to the refs.

Active Now

• the_next
  • Painin the Haas
  • Dash
  • Hurrijo
  • Robboi_321
  • Cavalo
  • broncoscope
  • Slippin Jimmy
  • Maroon4life
  • Foordy
  • GCBRONCO
  • Dexter
  • heartly87
  • jarro65
  • The True King
  • broncsgoat
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Skyblues87
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.