Vossy v Hadley

Hadley needs to have an "accident" happen to him.

How he is still calling is incredible and to think he'll still be there in 5 years is just ****ed.

Hadley's call is tripe. He ads nothing to the viewing experience, and often worsens it. I don't mind listening to him on radio and I think he is quite good during '5 in the bin' but as a caller he is simply shocking. Voss on the other hand is classy. The Roast is poo with Tim Gilbert and Brohman just doesn't do 'Things You May Have Missed' like Vossy did. Bring him back!

His callback show is great and his radio calls of sporting events are great. I have never liked how it converts over to television, it just doesn't feel right. He is better at creating the visuals with his voice than actually commentating to what we already see. For that reason I haven't been able to watch many of the 2nd Friday matches this year, plus the amount of Broncos matches didn't help either.

When Vossy has done the calls on the other hand (even though so few), I have tuned in more and he has come up with some funny one liners. I even find him better than Rabs at times. Mostly due to Rabs is really starting to struggle to see, the amount of players he gets wrong is starting to pile up in matches. Then there is the endless debate that him and Gould get involved on in every match as well, about the most minor things too.

Another thing about Vossy that he has over Ray is I find him less agenda driven. Ray is very vocal about his opinions and I find his calls can be sometimes very biased to one team. To the point where he is basically predicting the team he is behind is basically going to win this match without much trouble and if they lose then it was them that lost it and not the other team playing better than them. He does this on the radio calls as well.

I think there's a pretty good chance Voss will end up at Fox Sports next season. Have followed him on Twitter at various times this year and it's pretty clear he's been over channel 9 since the whole statue incident (which by the way was a complete gee up - he just said the statue didn't resemble Warren, he wasn't actually bagging him) and that management are trying to drive him out.

Yep Voss to Fox Sports in place of Braybrook. Gawd that guy is an ordinary caller.

he just said the statue didn't resemble Warren, he wasn't actually bagging him

I agree with Voss, but others think it's a spitting image of him.

079058-ray-warren-statue.jpg

940448-ray.jpg

It was pretty rich of a host of a show who's primary purpose was to make fun of rugby league and its players, coaches, referees, callers, cheerleaders, mascots, and television presenters, to make a off-hand, tongue-in-cheek remark like that.

The fact that Ray Warren wasn't the least bit offended by it should've been enough for Hadley, but no, he had to take a personal issue with it because he was behind the statue in the first place.

Hadley is a ****ing dickhead.

I think there's a pretty good chance Voss will end up at Fox Sports next season. Have followed him on Twitter at various times this year and it's pretty clear he's been over channel 9 since the whole statue incident (which by the way was a complete gee up - he just said the statue didn't resemble Warren, he wasn't actually bagging him) and that management are trying to drive him out.

Yep Voss to Fox Sports in place of Braybrook. Gawd that guy is an ordinary caller.

Fox Sports is where its at with regard to credible coverage / analysis of NRL at the moment & Voss would be a great asset to their ever improving stable of callers & 'expert' commentators.

The only reason Hadley is better at calling on the radio is that if you are listening you can't actually see that he's calling it wrong, unlike on tv......

Exactly.

eg, player takes a hit up.
TV Commentary: "[Player] charges into the defence, good run, took 3 to drag him down".
Radio commentary: "[Player] takes the ball up now and is held in a good 3 man tackle 30m out from his own line"

Needs more words for radio. Less for TV. Too many words on TV commentary gets overwhelming and irritating.
Even more so when your voice is as irritating as Hadley's.

Way back in 92 I was living in Sydney following the fortunes of my beloved Broncos. I listened on the radio to Hadley especially when the Broncs were playing. One day at the end of the regular season I heard Hadley discussing the various chances of each team in the upcoming finals series. Every team had a chance to win the GF EXCEPT the Broncos according to Hadley. In response to a callers question he went to great lengths to explain why Brisbane could not win.

No finals experience, have to lose one before you win one, not a Sydney team, suspect under pressure, yada yada yada...
I was incensed and decided to ring him on the talkback portion of the show...naturally I passionately defended the Broncs but Hadley would have none of it. It was then that I decided Hadley was a know nothing idiot, not because he disagreed with me but because in the face of the evidence he would still call black,white and vice versa.

That season we had smashed just about everyone winning the minor premiership by 6, only lost 4 games during the regular season and outscored the second placed team (Saints) by about 80 points !!! All the indicators were we would do well but I still remember Hadley telling his audience that , and I roughly quote,'I don't know who is going to win this years premiership but I can tell you for sure, I know who won't and that is Brisbane Broncos'..yeah good call idiot.

Not only Ray Hadley is a rubbish league caller he is a useless grub of a human-being that has just got to the top by sucking up to mates and publicly criticising anyone who is better than him. Vossy was just having some fun and I do agree that statue doesn't really look like him, and Hadley just saw this as a chance to get the job he really wanted and sucked Gyngell's balls and brought down 9's best caller single handedly. He just ruins watching the game, i had to watch our game against Penrith and the final against NQL with one of Nirvana's live gigs on in the background. **** he is going to be around for another 5 years.

Please be careful what you say about him. He's known to be litigious with online forums like this when he's criticised. Nearly got Rleague shut down about 10 years ago.

We can still bag him but not call him names right Coxy?

Pride is the sign of a foolish man.

You can pay $500M for television rights, but when arrogance and school yard boys clubs produces a poor television broadcast that actually detracts from the product then you've got to wonder question Channel 9's business savy.

Thank God someone else will have a crack at it in 5 years time. The One HD and Foxtel panels are something different, a bit novel with their approach and not tainted with the boring prejudices/biases that were entertaining in 1995.

Active Now

• Santa
  • Xzei
  • Rowdy124
  • Skathen
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.