Wallace has to go

Re: Round 23 - Bulldogs vs. Broncos - Build Up Thread

I rather Hunt take control than Norman. Norman seems lost..

Norman is either lost, or still figuring it all out. Or maybe it's ego. That would be tragic

You just might be right, but then thinking of the prospect of Hunt taking control might be just too much for him.

Wallace either lacks, or has lost, his instincts, his ability to see things unfold, think ahead, set up plays and players. But then I bet he could find touch from a penalty

Time for Macca to step right up

Well he couldnt the week before against the eels

I haven't read all the posts but my opinion of Wallace has always been as a defensive half back rather than an attacking one. He is usually a solid and reliable foil for more attacking players such as Lockyer. Good in defence, moves players around in attack, usually positions the team well for someone else to take advantage of the field position. Without an attacking player in the halves, Hooker or fullback he lacks the ability to make those scoring plays or even line breaks. Some things to ponder.

1. How many quality line breaks come off him?
2. How many long distance tries do the Broncos score?
3. In comparison to other teams and worse, previous Bronco teams, how many tries are scored by our outside backs?

What is highlighted in my eyes is the fact that our number one try scorer is a second rower. This tells me about the type of attack we have and has been my biggest concern all year.

Hodges and to a lesser extent Reed and Beale are our strike players, yet rarely see open spaces and usually only get a try by either a kick, an offload, a quick play the ball or individual brilliance. Of course Norman and to a lesser degree Hunt's role as well, but as the senior player, it is more his responsibility than that of the junior. At this stage of the season IMO it's too late to drop this player or that player, we don't have the depth and again injuries have created havoc with our line up. We needed to get at least one win from our last 3 and again against the Panthers to make the 8. Although that is for another thread. All I'm suggesting is that there is no good complaining about the things that Wallace isn't, because he will never be an attacking half or we would have seen it by now. The question is what will the Broncos do about it?

Drop the c*nt already.

The question is what will the Broncos do about it?

Signed the hopeless merkin for another 2 years is what they've done about it ..........:001_rolleyes:

Talk about premature ejaculation from the Broncs management. Wallace puts in above his usual mehhhh type of game for the first few rounds and Hook, Andrew Gee and the money men fall over each other to sign him up.

Gee for one seems to be ruing the decision right now.

this is somewhat wallace related but are there publicly available stats on 'play the ball' speeds?

i dont know if its our own lack of urgency, the defense monstering us, the refs not calling defenders off our guys, or a combination of the three.. but deadset - we must have the slowest play the balls across the field in the comp. ok wallace isnt good but damn the ruck speed is really making it tough. the defense seems to have so much time to crowd our halves all the time..

this is somewhat wallace related but are there publicly available stats on 'play the ball' speeds?

i dont know if its our own lack of urgency, the defense monstering us, the refs not calling defenders off our guys, or a combination of the three.. but deadset - we must have the slowest play the balls across the field in the comp. ok wallace isnt good but damn the ruck speed is really making it tough. the defense seems to have so much time to crowd our halves all the time..

Andrew McCullough is faaar from the quickest passer out of dummy half, though I don't think it's him that's making it slow.

Signed the hopeless merkin for another 2 years is what they've done about it ..........:001_rolleyes:

Talk about premature ejaculation from the Broncs management. Wallace puts in above his usual mehhhh type of game for the first few rounds and Hook, Andrew Gee and the money men fall over each other to sign him up.

It's not that big of a deal really. If we want to offload him all we do is tell him he will be in Q Cup next year and he is no longer in our plans for NRL. Wallace won't hang around and with the lack of halves available in the NRL he would be picked up quickly.

The Broncos were right to sign him when they did because he was playing very well.

All this debate about Wallace has gotten too far over the top IMO.

Macca is at fault as well but not much gets said.
If you compare Wallace to the better halves then start comparing Macca to the better hookers around and he comes up short.

He doesn't bring his forwards onto the ball that well, he doesn't know when to run and he goes too often from half when something is on out wide but nothing is on for him. He also goes on the 4th a lot which leaves a prop or second rower throwing the pass when our halves need quick ball.

Macca is a good player but there are a few things going on in this side that get overlooked and some that get focused on a little too much.

This ^^^^

And fair dinkum, the slowest of the slow for us is Gillett .... he takes longer than Petero to get to his feet and play the ball.

We have to get quicker play the balls if we are going to have any chance of our halves creating something in attack,

Our play the ball speed was fine yesterday until we went back to running one out and being turned over by three defenders. Our whole set is going nowhere when this happens and it happens a lot.

Also it doesn't help when the refs are so keen to call surrender. Yesterday Maranta took the restart from the 20 and ran hard into the line, got tackled but held his ground without going to fully to ground. Archer immediately called surrender and gave the Dogs that extra couple of seconds to set their line.

Classic example of why I hate the tackle interpretations, he should have been allowed to play the ball as fast as he could.

Yeah that's a fair point, but to be fair what other options were there. Name a halfback that we could have gotten instead of Wallace?

Yeah that's a fair point, but to be fair what other options were there. Name a halfback that we could have gotten instead of Wallace?

DCE was up for grabs / exploring his options around the same time.

I wonder if anyone from Brisbane even bothered to call his manager......?

you're kidding yourself if you ever thought DCE was going to leave manly.

you're kidding yourself if you ever thought DCE was going to leave manly.

Probably right........another one who knows exactly how the mind of a 20 something yr old NRL player works.:001_rolleyes:

Wouldn't have hurt to at least talk to the guy, would it?

Certainly not for the price tag he was commanding. One of the most overrated players in the comp when compared to his pay packet. Politics royally screwed Manly over by selecting him in the Aus team. Not on merit, but a token GF selection to increase his value and put even more pressure on the salary cap of a successful team.

Over rated.....Pfft !!

Do you watch Manly? He drifts in and out of games at an alarming rate. He plays on the strongest attacking edge in the comp and has G. Stewart and Lyon either side. He has been blessed with his run in first grade.

Good kicking game, so he has an OK base to work from, but he has plenty of development left. Des has a proven track record at developing halves - I'm interested to see how he goes without him over the next season or two as Manly begin to decline.

Well he isn't as good as he was last year with out Des coaching, he wouldn't be any better than Wallace or Boreman at the Broncos.

Look at how flat we play, then look at how we played with Lockyer. We're defs being coached to not overplay our hand and instead we underplay it massively, DCE wouldn't make a difference.

Active Now

• Jazza
  • Fozz
  • Harry Sack
  • Waynesaurus
  • Manofoneway
  • BroncosAlways
  • Broncosarethebest
  • broncos4life
  • Morkel
  • Manifesto
  • MasterWright
  • Bish
  • Browny
  • Porthoz
  • Fatboy
  • lynx000
  • BruiserMk1
  • Stix
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Johnny92
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.