OFFICIAL Walsh signs with the Broncos until 2025

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
The fact that the Dolphins and others are salty shows we are back baby

I do wonder what the NRL's stance would be about this situation really. If Walker say said he wanted to leave the Rorters and come back to QLD i'd be pretty annoyed if they gave him permission, but they said he could only leave if he couldnt talk to the Broncos. Surely its the players choice who he talks to, not the clubs.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
I do wonder what the NRL's stance would be about this situation really. If Walker say said he wanted to leave the Rorters and come back to QLD i'd be pretty annoyed if they gave him permission, but they said he could only leave if he couldnt talk to the Broncos. Surely its the players choice who he talks to, not the clubs.
Wouldn’t be annoyed. It is what it is.

J

Johnny92

NRL Player
Jul 3, 2021
I dont see how anyone can say Martin is part of the deal when he isnt even contracted here in 2023. As others have said, it would have to be a release now for that to be possible.
That fact TMM name has been floated around with him only contracted to us this year makes me think Ikin, DD and the Warriors guys might be in talks to try make something happen before the cut off.
Not sure how much the Warriors will be in NZ for the remainder of the season but if they were to go back full time, Walsh will want to stay in Brisbane and the guys at the Warriors seem they might be all for him doing that.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
because do we know yet if the nrl change there mind on the rules and say the warriors cannot dictate who walsh plays for? he either stays with warriors or goes to open market.

I mean vlandys has proven he will change the rules on a dime if he thinks it helps the nrl.
And lets be honest taking our broncos hats off the nrl would be stronger if dolphins landed walsh

Again i got no idea. and neither do you. Maybe it has already been registered and the cooling off period is over.

All im saying i would rather our coach say nothing untl the broncos do an official announcement Just feels more professional that way and leaves less room for egg on face
Vlandys can’t change anything. He is contracted to NZ so for the period he is contracted they can put whatever conditions they want on it if he wants a release.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Wouldn’t be annoyed. It is what it is.

I must admit i would be. If a player wants to move back to say QLD for family reasons and then signs with a Sydney club, i think its clear he's doing some dodgy dealings, so i could see them saying you can speak to the QLD clubs like the Titans, Broncos and the Dolphins.

As much as other clubs might whine about it, i dont see there is much the NRL could do really if a player only wants to join one particular club. I'm just curious.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Vlandys can’t change anything. He is contracted to NZ so for the period he is contracted they can put whatever conditions they want on it if he wants a release.

Thats the thing that intrigues me about it. I've never seen a club put a restriction on a player like that before, which kind of makes me think this deal has been in the works for a while and we are sending a player or 2 their way and we could well get him for 2022. If another club got into negotiations it could throw a spanner in the works for them, hence them only saying he can talk to us.

Legally, i dont know if it could be classed as any restriction of trade. All they can do is basically tell the Warriors they cant put a restriction on like that, but you cant force a player to talk to a club anyway so it would be futile imo.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Thats the thing that intrigues me about it. I've never seen a club put a restriction on a player like that before, which kind of makes me think this deal has been in the works for a while and we are sending a player or 2 their way and we could well get him for 2022. If another club got into negotiations it could throw a spanner in the works for them, hence them only saying he can talk to us.

Legally, i dont know if it could be classed as any restriction of trade. All they can do is basically tell the Warriors they cant put a restriction on like that, but you cant force a player to talk to a club anyway so it would be futile imo.

They haven't put a restriction on him there is no smoke and mirrors, he's asked for a release and said he wants to stay in Brisbane- they've said if you can get a deal done with Brisbane we will release you.

The interesting thing would have been if Brisbane hadn't been interested and what that would have meant for his release.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
They haven't put a restriction on him there is no smoke and mirrors, he's asked for a release and said he wants to stay in Brisbane- they've said if you can get a deal done with Brisbane we will release you.

The interesting thing would have been if Brisbane hadn't been interested and what that would have meant for his release.

So where is this coming from about him only being allowed to talk to Brisbane? Seems to be quite a few different sources saying the deal is he can only leave to join us. Its not like if he joined the Dolphins he wouldn't be close enough to Brisbane.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
So where is this coming from about him only being allowed to talk to Brisbane? Seems to be quite a few different sources saying the deal is he can only leave to join us. Its not like if he joined the Dolphins he wouldn't be close enough to Brisbane.

I just explained that.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
I just explained that.

You didnt at all. I made the comment about the Warriors apparently only agreeing to it if he can get a deal done with us. If thats not true why are multiple sources saying he can only talk to us. I asked where those sources were coming from. Got no answer to that.

J

Johnny92

NRL Player
Jul 3, 2021
From what I've read Walsh has told the Warriors weeks ago he needed to stay in Brisbane for his daughter, they were sweet with it and Walsh said he wants to go to the Broncos. Instead of causing a circus theyve pretty much said if you want to go there that's where your going if we release you nowhere else and we'll get it done behind closed doors.
The Warriors have really looked after Reece with this.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
I must admit i would be. If a player wants to move back to say QLD for family reasons and then signs with a Sydney club, i think its clear he's doing some dodgy dealings, so i could see them saying you can speak to the QLD clubs like the Titans, Broncos and the Dolphins.

As much as other clubs might whine about it, i dont see there is much the NRL could do really if a player only wants to join one particular club. I'm just curious.
I agree that if he says I want to go back to SEQ then it should be opened up to all the applicable clubs in that region... but it also depends if it was a decision made by the player or the club putting a restriction on who he can talk to.

Walsh's management require approval from warriors before they can talk to anyone... maybe as part of that his management were also required to nominate who they want to talk to and they said broncos. When the compassionate grounds clause was first raised months ago (by Read I think?) it was flagged that it was very restrictive and not something he could just activate willy nilly, so it may have included caveats on how many teams he can negotiate with at a time.

Warriors have also flagged that they didn't want it to turn into a media circus... If it was opened up to SEQ clubs there would be a very real risk that it would become a bidding war between dolphins and broncos that could drag out for weeks. It's not a good look for the warriors if he's saying he wants to leave for family reasons, only to instigate a bidding war and go to the highest bidder.

If push came to shove and the warriors said you can only negotiate with one club and you cannot seek a significant increase on your current contract value, so who do you want to talk to.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
From what I've read Walsh has told the Warriors weeks ago he needed to stay in Brisbane for his daughter, they were sweet with it and Walsh said he wants to go to the Broncos. Instead of causing a circus theyve pretty much said if you want to go there that's where your going if we release you nowhere else and we'll get it done behind closed doors.
The Warriors have really looked after Reece with this.

I've got no dramas with Walsh wanting to come back here. Its as i said, if he wants to come here and we can do a deal then thats best for everyone. All im saying is i'm curious where these rumours he can only talk to us have come from. It seems multiple sources have the same info. Maybe they have just all got their wires crossed, who knows.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
The rule was scrapped in 2017 after being agreed to by both the NRL and RLPA. Once you sign on the dotted line now it’s 100% a done deal.

It’s a change that somehow a lot of people missed out on even media who still report about cooling off periods every now and then.

Good to know, thanks mate.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
You didnt at all. I made the comment about the Warriors apparently only agreeing to it if he can get a deal done with us. If thats not true why are multiple sources saying he can only talk to us. I asked where those sources were coming from. Got no answer to that.

I did. There is no restriction on Walsh- it's what he wants. He's asked to stay in this area and Warriors are happy to help him stay in the area if he can get deal done with Brisbane. The release wasn't the first option, they tried to work through it but it couldn't be done for six weeks. Only option was staying here in Brisbane and that's what Dawson and Walsh asked for. You're not restricted if you're getting what you want.

You're allowed to put certain club/s into releases.

Active Now

• I bleed Maroon
  • Dash
  • Organix
  • Volvo Driver
  • Aldo
  • broncsgoat
  • simplythebest
  • broncs30
  • Galah
  • Pablo
  • Loch Ness Monster
  • Morkel
  • Brocko
  • broncos4life
  • eazy-duzzit
  • Sproj
  • bb_gun
  • Santa
  • Financeguy
  • Alec
... and 21 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.