NEWS Walters: Milford can win it for Brisbane

A leg tackle wouldn't of stopped old mate popping the offload to Leilua , and good luck to most trying to tackle him when he has momentum . Bird needed to make the tackle , if you rush your man make the tackle. 3 or 4 guys standing in a tackle, wrap the fucking ball up.

The worst one was I think Whiteheads when they all just dropped off, pathetic...

THIS ... We knew that Leilua is a real threat close to the line and still we slacked off in the face of the bleeding obvious.

While tackling technique and 100% application of correct technique IS a key issue (still) Leilua's 2 tries were down to poor defence as much as tackling technique. 4 on 1 ... puh-lease. Schoolboy shit. This is where Seibold really needs to focus

A leg tackle wouldn't of stopped old mate popping the offload to Leilua , and good luck to most trying to tackle him when he has momentum . Bird needed to make the tackle , if you rush your man make the tackle. 3 or 4 guys standing in a tackle, wrap the fucking ball up.

The worst one was I think Whiteheads when they all just dropped off, pathetic...
That's what's wrong right there, you have already made up your mind. The first Leilua try Milford simply had to tackle Leilua from side on anywhere from hips to ankle. He had a perfect, unprotected side on shot. Instead he goes high, Leilua was 12 metres out and wouldn't have scored had Milford made a real effort.

The second try Milford was facing Leilua almost front on and, failing to learn AGAIN goes high. Leilua plants his hand in his face and brushes him again forcing Milford to jog alongside trying to pull him down, then AND ONLY THEN is it impossible to stop the unload. Had he tackled him low both times it's extremely unlikely either try would be scored.

I've watched both tries numerous times and I ask you to watch Milford make the same mistake he's been making for years, trying to go high on much bigger, heavily muscled gorillas. I'd dump him long before Boyd. Try imagining those two tries both with Milford going low.

The clock is really winding down on Milford’s chances of being better than mediocre. Kodi has been consistently the better half for almost a year now.

Milford seems to have a much higher ceiling than Kodi but he rarely gets near it. I am coming around to the possibility that Kodi and an organising half, and moving Milf back to fullback might work. Look at the difference it made in Ponga’s game being moved back there. I just don’t know if it’s too late for Milford to shift back.

Last edited:
The clock is really winding down on Milford’s chances of being better than mediocre. Kodi has been consistently the better half for almost a year now.

Milford seems to have a much higher ceiling than Kodi but he rarely gets near it. I am coming around to the possibility that Kodi and an organising half, and moving Milf back to fullback might work. Look at the difference it made in Ponga’s game being moved back there. I just don’t know if it’s too late for Milford to shift back.

Milford is not a fullback, he has no chance at fullback.

Really? Show me 6 legs tackles from the last two years. I'm watching all right and I wrote about his shitty tackling last year, the year before and the year before that. I've watched him make air grabs for so long I pray no one runs his way and that's a big commitment for an atheist!
I see you found your scapegoat... doesn't matter that he at least tries to tackle, is better at it than many other halves including his partner in the 7, and is let down by the players around him, such as Glenn and even Bird of late.

None of the Raiders tries is Milford's fault, that's just bullshit. Leilua is a really tough guy to tackle, especially the tree trunks of legs he has, and he had multiple players to go through after he bumped Milford off. Those all failed, but get no mention...

There is plenty to criticise Milford about, but that's just nitpicking for the sake of an agenda.

Last edited:
It's time people started talking about Milford's appalling tackling. His 'technique', such as it is is so poor that anything he does cannot outweigh his negative effect on the team. I haven't ever seen a player as frightened to make a tackle as Milford. He will not put himself in front of anyone nor will he bend at the hips and use his shoulders.

Halfbacks are often given a pass if they at least have a go but Milf is a 5/8th and he is simply not prepared to commit to the team. It's time to dump him to reserves. Yes, I did see his great kick last night.
100% correct!!! but only states half the issue - consider his complete lack of work off the ball in defence (re-watch his effort on Chee cam and lack of slide when the ball went past him for the Leilua try). He completely switches off once the ball goes past him. Complete lack of desire to win and compete! If only you could put the ticker of a Josh Reynolds in him...

That's what's wrong right there, you have already made up your mind. The first Leilua try Milford simply had to tackle Leilua from side on anywhere from hips to ankle. He had a perfect, unprotected side on shot. Instead he goes high, Leilua was 12 metres out and wouldn't have scored had Milford made a real effort.

The second try Milford was facing Leilua almost front on and, failing to learn AGAIN goes high. Leilua plants his hand in his face and brushes him again forcing Milford to jog alongside trying to pull him down, then AND ONLY THEN is it impossible to stop the unload. Had he tackled him low both times it's extremely unlikely either try would be scored.

I've watched both tries numerous times and I ask you to watch Milford make the same mistake he's been making for years, trying to go high on much bigger, heavily muscled gorillas. I'd dump him long before Boyd. Try imagining those two tries both with Milford going low.
I would put more blame on Bird than Milford for the first one and the second one - what the hell was Glenn doing?

I would put more blame on Bird than Milford for the first one and the second one - what the hell was Glenn doing?

Exactly, bird created the first one and milf , Glenn and I'm positive someone else should have wrapped up the ball to stop the offload.

Milford is not a fullback, he has no chance at fullback.

Yeah you might be right at this point. I guess what I’m saying is, maybe the 5/8th switch was a bit of a failure in hindsight.

I see you found your scapegoat... doesn't matter that he at least tries to tackle, is better at it than many other halves including his partner in the 7, and is let down by the players around him, such as Glenn and even Bird of late.

None of the Raiders tries is Milford's fault, that's just bullshit. Leilua is a really tough guy to tackle, especially the tree trunks of legs he has, and he had multiple players to go through after he bumped Milford off. Those all failed, but get no mention...

There is plenty to criticise Milford about, but that's just nitpicking for the sake of an agenda.
How typically Porthoz. It has nothing to do with scapegoating and you haven't even considered what I wrote but that's you. If I was scapegoating I wouldn't have been writing about Milford's atrocious tackling on this day but I've been writing about it for years. I mean I've written about it many times.

Please don't respond without answering this simple question.

Which tackle is likely to be more successful in this case. Lightweight Milford going high on heavily muscled Leilui or a low legs tackle?

Forget Bird missing his tackle because even though he misses a few he puts his body on the line and Milford had a simple side on shot and FUCKING CHOSE to go high even though it is ineffectual most of the time. It's not about blame for this game, it's a chancre that needs treating.

I agree it was stupid but Milfords tackling is fucking woeful and that's where the game was lost. Bad and amateurish from Kahu, simp,y terrible from Milford. A legs tackle would have slowed the player down enough and even if not totally successful would have been better than patting him on the shoulder as he strolled past.....

Milford and Hunt for that matter have never executed a whole of game plan. They may be given plans but have never followed them through for a whole match. During 2015 the team surprised us all but my guess, Hunt and Milford did as they pleased, more instinctual than conscious decision making and it masked a lot. I'm not sorry to see Hunt gone as he has proven that he is deeply scarred by the gf experience and he likely will always wilt and show fragility. Milford will only get better if he remains uncomfortable otherwise complacency will set in. At 22 he has plenty of upside and his contract should be incremental and not some flat million a year deal.

He is not making a first grade attempt at tackles. If you're shit at tackling you have to at least put your body in the way. His abysmal attempts have cost us games and if it doesn't improve we should, after giving him plenty of time and chances, release him. Seriously, if it doesn't get better and he refuses to at least get in the way then he will be a liability forever. Alfie knew how to tackle and even though they changed the rules, twice ! he kept on putting the big men down. I want Alf to teach Milford to tackle.

Thaiday is so close to playing reggies it isn't funny. Those idiotic runs back into the ruck accomplish so little. I mean the defenders are already there and don't have to position themselves. Where our greatest defence problem is located is in the first contact. Years ago I witnessed tiny little Jeff Robson drop ,in their tracks three big guys in a row, totally by himself. One big centre and two big forwards, not once did he go above their belly buttons.

If you watch last nights game check the first contact. Nobody bends at the waist and drives into the ribs or hips. They stand and try to one arm in an attempt to wrap up the ball. If you're falling face first at a great rate of knots you seldom see a player throwing beautifully timed passes as self preservation takes over. Alf used to face plant forwards time and time again, Milford runs along yelling tagged tagged. He simply will not tackle and this has gone on for years.

St George's Ah So loved it, he knew he wasn't getting his jersey dirty and plowed ever onwards. He would have been eating dirt if Alf tackled him and yes, I do remember them changing the rules yada yada yada

I just looked back on a few posts of mine and I've been consistent for years and years just as Milford has consistently gone high and consistently failed. No scapegoating. Just the facts.

I just looked back on a few posts of mine and I've been consistent for years and years just as Milford has consistently gone high and consistently failed. No scapegoating. Just the facts.

I thought he’d improved last year but he’s been fucking horrendous this year no doubt.

How typically Porthoz. It has nothing to do with scapegoating and you haven't even considered what I wrote but that's you. If I was scapegoating I wouldn't have been writing about Milford's atrocious tackling on this day but I've been writing about it for years. I mean I've written about it many times.

Please don't respond without answering this simple question.

Which tackle is likely to be more successful in this case. Lightweight Milford going high on heavily muscled Leilui or a low legs tackle?

Forget Bird missing his tackle because even though he misses a few he puts his body on the line and Milford had a simple side on shot and FUCKING CHOSE to go high even though it is ineffectual most of the time. It's not about blame for this game, it's a chancre that needs treating.
What would be the best way to tackle Leilua in that particular instance, especially for someone like Milford?
I doubt any method would be successful, because Milford is a lightweight taking on a heavily muscled player with tree trunks as legs. There probably are a few of them, but I'm struggling to think of a half that would have been successful at this point...

I'm not arguing Milford isn't a great defender, I'm disputing your assertion that Leilua's tries were his fault, while ignoring everyone else that failed. The rest is window dressing to push your bullshit agenda that he doesn't put his body on the line and should be dropped to reggies.

Halves are notoriously bad defenders in general. Milford isn't even amongst the worst of them, but his failures have been exacerbated by the fact he is left isolated too often. He needs more protection from his inside backrower and the team in general, just like Kodi or most other halves in the NRL do.

I would put the entire blame on our entire left edge defence for both tries. It was fucking appalling and after 6 rounds there really is NO excuse for that shitty effort. It happens again then Seibold will seriously lose support. Elementary tackling mistakes like those do not belong in an NRL side, especially not the Broncos. Seriously, I can't get my head around those tries. Forget the individual blame-shame, this is a question of the effectiveness of our entries left edge defence, or lack of it. Seibold had better get his head around that as an area for hard work

Last edited:
Milford should have gone low, no contest.
Thankyou. An honest non biased view. Porthoz invariably takes the opposite stance to me based on a intense dislike. It's true, Milford doesn't truly commit and there is absolutely no doubt going low would have a much greater chance of success.

I would put the entire blame on our entire left edge defence for both tries. It was fucking appalling and after 6 rounds there really is NO excuse for that shitty effort. It happens again then Seibold will seriously lose support. Elementary tackling mistakes like those do not belong in an NRL side, especially not the Broncos. Seriously, I can't get my head around those tries. Forget the individual blame-shame, this is a question of the effectiveness of our entries left edge defence, or lack of it. Seibold had better get his head around that as an area for hard work
I have no trouble with the blame being shared but both those tries before half time could have been stopped and the best positioned person did not make his best effort. Milford continues to use the softer non effective method. It's a real problem and thinking I have an agenda against Milford is wrong. I have an expectation that a million dollar player makes his best effort and he's fucking not doing that.

Active Now

• broncos4life
  • Midean
  • Justwin
  • Brocko
  • Xzei
  • Organix
  • GCBRONCO
  • dasherhalo
  • Sproj
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Harry Sack
  • Hurrijo
  • Broncosarethebest
  • broncoscope
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • Brotherdu
  • Mister Wright
  • phoenix
  • Fatboy
  • Jazza
... and 15 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.