MELTDOWN Wayne Bennett - Moves to Souths

Should Wayne Bennett's Contract be Extended?

• Total voters
Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Are we sure that's how it works? I'm almost certain we invite a bunch of different people to train with us that certainly don't have contracts. Fringe ISC / U20 guys, etc.

It was reported recently, so could be a load of shit.

maybe the guys we invite are covered under their ISC insurance, or something to do with our affiliate agreements mean they are insureable

Last edited:
Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Pass the tin foil hat, @Unbreakable , this saga is far from over.

Not because I believe the media, because I trust the Broncos.

What this does is force Souths’ hand. If they want Bennett now, they have to come up with the goods. Bennett is not interested in taking any less than his $900k payout, but he didn’t specify it had to all come from the Broncos. The negotiations now go between Brisbane and Souths to decide who pays what, and we’re holding all the cards. We’ve now publicly shown that we are comfortable with Bennett in 2019. Are they happy with Seibold?

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013

What this does is force Souths’ hand. If they want Bennett now, they have to come up with the goods. Bennett is not interested in taking any less than his $900k payout, but he didn’t specify it had to all come from the Broncos. The negotiations now go between Brisbane and Souths to decide who pays what, and we’re holding all the cards. We’ve now publicly shown that we are comfortable with Bennett in 2019. Are they happy with Seibold?

C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg

holdzy

holdzy

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
May 5, 2016

This somewhat assumes Wayne isn’t 100% genuine in saying he wants to be here next year. Will Wayne take the payout or be loyal to his (stated) intentions?

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
Only huge and faith in hook admit when they are wrong by the way, according to a guy with a HUGE opinion of himself. The rest of us should learn from his HUGE humility.
See, yet another misrepresentation of the facts. I didn't state it was so rather I wrote I believe we are the only ones. That leaves room for the possibility others could be capable of such a feat. Believing something and stating something is a fact are two different propositions.

O

ostin86

NRL Player
Jun 15, 2010
The club is only going to tell us what we need to hear. We won't get many truths out of them like what they are actually discussing and planning behind closed doors.

That's where the journo's come in and feed us a whole lot of bulls##t mixed in with some actual credible information.

But generally speaking, where there is smoke there is fire and this saga doesn't seem to reached it's conclusion.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
it doesn't just suggest he has signed ... it confirms it.

without a current contract, he wouldn't be able to train with the team, as he wouldn't be insured in the event he gets injured

There is i believe a level of cover that covers players for train and trial purposes which covers players at red hill, which is why you can get some ex players coming to train with us just for fitness purposes.

It would seem odd to me though that if players like Lodge weren't going to be here why they would even be training with us.

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...e/news-story/5583d7871ace0e96476ad21e43703460

A secret NRL State of the Game document has revealed the extraordinary monopoly the Broncos hold over their premiership rivals that will escalate demands for a second Brisbane team.
The report exposes the Broncos’ overwhelming dominance in sponsorship earnings, corporate support, game day revenue, membership income, merchandise sales and staffing numbers that obliterate their rivals.
The confidential document on the 2017 season reveals the Broncos are the only club in the NRL to be making a profit and that only a second Brisbane team will level the playing field and ensure the future fairness and integrity of the competition.
The reports shows:
  • The Broncos have 81 full time football club staff compared to rival teams that operate on shoestring budgets with less than 30 employees.
  • They also have the highest commercial revenue of $32.9 million, three times more than struggling Sydney based clubs the Manly Sea Eagles, the Wests Tigers and the Parramatta Eels.
  • The Broncos also make $7.3 million in game day revenue over the season, more than double their nearest rivals the Penrith Panthers, who make $3 million. The Warriors, Sharks and Eels ($1.1 million) and the Bulldogs ($1 million) were hopelessly out of the Broncos’ range.
  • Brisbane have 36,298 members spending an average of $186, compared to the Bulldogs whose 18,000 members spend an average of only $58.50.
Interestingly Melbourne Storm members spend the most in the competition, an average of $262.
The report shows clubs across the games have focused on the acquisition of members above profitability.
Memberships grew eight per cent but membership revenue increased by only two per cent. The Panthers average only $70 per member because they give away so many freebies.
Also members use only 50 per cent of their ticket entitlements which leaves thousands of empty seats at ‘sold-out’ games.
The NRL ranked the 16 clubs on a viability scorecard taking into account ticket sales, sponsorship, corporate hospitality, memberships, merchandise sales and game day revenue.
The Broncos blew their rivals away in every category.
In sponsorship the Parramatta Eels, the Canberra Raiders, the Sea Eagles and the Wests Tigers were the worst performing clubs. The Gold Coast Titans were by far the worst in merchandise sales.
The report will increase calls for expansion and a second team in Brisbane.
For too long the Broncos have had a city (2.4 million population) to themselves while nine Sydney clubs are competing against in other in the one market.
It is astounding they have not won a premiership since 2006 considering their financial superiority,
At least the NRL is soon to implement a cap on coaching staff spending to stop the Broncos and the wealthier clubs from getting too far ahead of their rivals.
The document reveals great detail the costs of running an NRL club in the modern era.
  • The average wage of an NRL head coach is $611,000. Five coaches were on more than $750,000 a season. Twelve coaches have free cars. Some coaches are on as little as $350,000 while the likes of Craig Bellamy and Wayne Bennett are on over $1 million.
  • The average salary for a chief executive was $411,000.
As I said, **** the media.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
This somewhat assumes Wayne isn’t 100% genuine in saying he wants to be here next year. Will Wayne take the payout or be loyal to his (stated) intentions?

Not really. He could genuinely still want to be here. But it sounds like his payout will be additional to his Souths’ salary. Plenty of players have genuinely wanted to stay with a club, but gone elsewhere when the financial benefit is too good to pass up.

Last edited:
holdzy

holdzy

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
May 5, 2016
See, yet another misrepresentation of the facts. I didn't state it was so rather I wrote I believe we are the only ones. That leaves room for the possibility others could be capable of such a feat. Believing something and stating something is a fact are two different propositions.

I thought you dealt in facts, not beliefs? What you are stating is an ignorant belief, which you rally against at every chance (where you aren’t exposed). I think you’ll find upon further research plenty of us admit when we are wrong. Or do you ‘believe’ it’s just you and faith in hook?

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008

Unread

Active Now

• Aldo
  • Jedhead
  • Swordfish
  • johnny plath
  • Fozz
  • ChewThePhatt
  • BroncoFan94
  • Bucking Beads
  • Brocko
  • Manofoneway
  • RolledOates
  • BroncosAlways
  • Big Del
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.