MELTDOWN Wayne Bennett - Moves to Souths

Should Wayne Bennett's Contract be Extended?

• Total voters
Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
Well now that it's settled that Benny is staying the rags will need to invent some other drama to create click bait and to sell their daily digest of dirge. If it involves the biggest club in the NRL so much the better.

Gaz

Gaz

NRL Captain
Contributor
Oct 7, 2017
Well now that it's settled that Benny is staying the rags will need to invent some other drama to create click bait and to sell their daily digest of dirge. If it involves the biggest club in the NRL so much the better.
Yes unlike 6.00 o’clock news programs they can’t throw to the ubiquitous You Tube videos.

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
That's Buzz Rothfield for you.

It's such a shame he took such an interesting report and had to put such a simple minded slant on it. Now that's all most people will read about it, and they won't get a fair indication of the shape the game is in.

As far as the dig at the Broncos recent success, I genuinely hope that fans don't think there's a direct correlation between off-field success and on-field success. The Broncos could be as big as the New York Yankees, it doesn't matter because the club is hamstrung by the salary cap. If the Broncos were actually able to reap the benefit of being the most successful club in the game, Melbourne would have died a long time ago.

Yep, the Roosters have been in 6 GFs since 2002 and won 3. Along the way they have lost 3 prelims , where is the story in the Roosters tearing them down. By Rothfields logic there isn't enough teams in Sydney if this business can go on.

O

ostin86

NRL Player
Jun 15, 2010
Funny thing is that if there was a second Brisbane team they would probably be the second biggest NRL club almost instantly haha

Accept

Accept

NRL Captain
Sep 27, 2016
Funny thing is that if there was a second Brisbane team they would probably be the second biggest NRL club almost instantly haha
Very unlikely. You can only drain so much support out of Caboolture, Logan and Ipswich. And most of these fans are Bronco fans and unlikely to switch over. A second team would survive but it wouldn't thrive.

Battler

Battler

State of Origin Rep
Dec 4, 2013
The storm are basically the second Brisbane side. Full of qlders and artificial success to foster bandwagon support (will evaporate almost instantly when they hit a rough patch). Between them, the Sydney sides with their fingers in qld (ironic), and the titans they poach enough of the SEQ talent.

Also, why is the pull of Sydney never mentioned? There are heaps of players who will choose a Sydney club over the Broncos just because of the city (Lodge in the future). I don’t like Melbourne personally, but the same applies for it.

O

ostin86

NRL Player
Jun 15, 2010
Very unlikely. You can only drain so much support out of Caboolture, Logan and Ipswich. And most of these fans are Bronco fans and unlikely to switch over. A second team would survive but it wouldn't thrive.

I have met a tonne of people who only support other clubs because they dislike the Broncos. It's usually had something to do with the way in which the Broncs entered the competition or how the BRL was never the same after they did. Surely there would be a large number of potential supporters in Brisbane and Ipswich/Logan.

I guess we will find out if they add another team in the region, there are literally millions of people to build a fan base on.

Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013
What about Alex Glenn? Are the rumours of him leaving put to bed now too?

It means he already has a contract, which Lodge didn’t, ergo for Lodge to be at training means he must have re-signed, otherwise he wouod not be insured...

It says nothing about whether any release from contract may be granted.

The Titans have said they can’t afford him however, so it seems put to bed, for now.

Last edited:
Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
I have met a tonne of people who only support other clubs because they dislike the Broncos. It's usually had something to do with the way in which the Broncs entered the competition or how the BRL was never the same after they did. Surely there would be a large number of potential supporters in Brisbane and Ipswich/Logan.

I guess we will find out if they add another team in the region, there are literally millions of people to build a fan base on.
I think you're spot on with this. I've also met loads who hate the Bronco's but would support another team. Most of their criticism is utterly ridiculous but I'm sure another team would be supported. I'd support them from a distance when playing anyone except the Bronco's just as long as they were honest, dignified, open and exhibited the same traits the Bronco's have always had. I'd be conflicted if they were an Ipswich based side though!

O

ostin86

NRL Player
Jun 15, 2010
I think you're spot on with this. I've also met loads who hate the Bronco's but would support another team. Most of their criticism is utterly ridiculous but I'm sure another team would be supported. I'd support them from a distance when playing anyone except the Bronco's just as long as they were honest, dignified, open and exhibited the same traits the Bronco's have always had. I'd be conflicted if they were an Ipswich based side though!

My old man was in the Air force. I have spent a good portion of my life living here. There are good and bad people here just like anywhere else. They would definitely be my Second favourite team behind the Broncs.

I do think that given the distaste a lot of people in Brisbane have for Ippy, it would be silly to name the team after Ipswich. I'm sure they could come up with something else.

Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay

QCup Player
Jun 5, 2013
My old man was in the Air force. I have spent a good portion of my life living here. There are good and bad people here just like anywhere else. They would definitely be my Second favourite team behind the Broncs.

I do think that given the distaste a lot of people in Brisbane have for Ippy, it would be silly to name the team after Ipswich. I'm sure they could come up with something else.
If you're going to do Ipswich, you need to embrace Ipswich. They would have to play in Ipswich and have Ipswich be part of the team's identity. Brisbane people who look down on Ipswich are not the NRL's target audience. Ipswich loves rugby league, but they are not going to get behind a team that plays in Brisbane, lives in Brisbane and doesn't have Ipswich in their name just because you put their training grounds somewhere on the cusp of Ipswich. Generally speaking, Ipswich rugby league fans already like the Broncos so unless you're giving them their own team they won't have any interest.

O

ostin86

NRL Player
Jun 15, 2010
If you're going to do Ipswich, you need to embrace Ipswich. They would have to play in Ipswich and have Ipswich be part of the team's identity. Brisbane people who look down on Ipswich are not the NRL's target audience. Ipswich loves rugby league, but they are not going to get behind a team that plays in Brisbane, lives in Brisbane and doesn't have Ipswich in their name just because you put their training grounds somewhere on the cusp of Ipswich. Generally speaking, Ipswich rugby league fans already like the Broncos so unless you're giving them their own team they won't have any interest.

You make some great points. Their only concern may be limiting their potential supporters in Springfield/Logan areas which are some of the fastest growing regions in Australia.

Battler

Battler

State of Origin Rep
Dec 4, 2013

They'd 100% play out of Suncorp. In all likelihood a second Brisbane side will be plastic like the Titans and need an AFL/ storm style leg up (cap relief/ cheating) to achieve even a rorters-esque following (SFA). They'd be good for TV though.

FaithinHook

FaithinHook

NRL Player
Jun 4, 2013

Gee thinking about it, I reckon an Ipswich team is a no-brainer. Can you imagine the potential support around that fast-growing region. Appoint 2 local lads, Kevvie as coach and Alfie as his assistant, and I'm sure many of us Broncos fans would quickly adopt them as our 2nd team too.

Last edited:

Unread

Active Now

• I bleed Maroon
  • Fozz
  • winslow_wong
  • KickHaas
  • davidp
  • Broncorob
  • Culhwch
  • Dash
  • Waynesaurus
  • Bucking Beads
  • Lurker
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.