MELTDOWN Wayne Bennett - Moves to Souths

Should Wayne Bennett's Contract be Extended?

• Total voters
O

ostin86

NRL Player
Jun 15, 2010
Gee thinking about it, I reckon an Ipswich team is a no-brainer. Can you imagine the potential support around that fast-growing region. Appoint 2 local lads, Kevvie as coach and Alfie as his assistant, and I'm sure many of us Broncos fans would quickly adopt them as their 2nd team too.

They would definitely be a better option than a few of the Sydney clubs.

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
Gee thinking about it, I reckon an Ipswich team is a no-brainer. Can you imagine the potential support around that fast-growing region. Appoint 2 local lads, Kevvie as coach and Alfie as his assistant, and I'm sure many of us Broncos fans would quickly adopt them as our 2nd team too.

And that historic moment when Ipswich beats the broncos at suncorp. Will Never hear the end of it.

CaptainHook

CaptainHook

NRL Player
Jun 17, 2013
Gee thinking about it, I reckon an Ipswich team is a no-brainer. Can you imagine the potential support around that fast-growing region. Appoint 2 local lads, Kevvie as coach and Alfie as his assistant, and I'm sure many of us Broncos fans would quickly adopt them as our 2nd team too.

It's pie in the sky stuff but my solution is to actually promote the Ispswich Jets to the NRL.

It would accomplish several objectives.

For one thing, you start with a pre-existing fanbase and wouldn't have to start from scratch with a new brand, new club etc.

It opens the door for the ISC to include another expansion team. I think I read somewhere there was a Darwin proposal floating around.

They'd obviously play out of Suncorp but that wouldn't be so bad and it beats the heck out of relocating a Sydney team up north.

Again, I don't know if legally and practically it could be done.

Also, it's the NRL. Finding someone who works there and thinks outside the square and who is interested in growing the game is about as rare as shark shit in the desert.

Last edited:
O

ostin86

NRL Player
Jun 15, 2010
In time I could see both a team in Ipswich and a second Brisbane team working. Unfortunately it probably won't happen.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
My old man was in the Air force. I have spent a good portion of my life living here. There are good and bad people here just like anywhere else. They would definitely be my Second favourite team behind the Broncs.

I do think that given the distaste a lot of people in Brisbane have for Ippy, it would be silly to name the team after Ipswich. I'm sure they could come up with something else.
Born and bred Ipswich, live around the corner from Alfie's mum. Like I said, I'd be conflicted.

Gaz

Gaz

NRL Captain
Contributor
Oct 7, 2017
I don’t want your money: Bennett
Wayne Bennett has slammed suggestions he is trying to get sacked by the Broncos to pocket a $2 million payday in 2019.
Bennett’s rollercoaster ride at the Broncos took another turn on Saturday after a crisis meeting with chairman Karl Morris determined he would remain in Brisbane next year.
Bennett was widely expected to immediately swap jobs with South Sydney coach Anthony Seibold, given they will trade clubs from 2020.
Behind the scenes negotiations for the immediate swap have hit a stalemate, however league sources are convinced Bennett and Seibold will trade clubs before the 2019 season begins.
Bennett, 68, has been accused of wanting a full payout of his $1 million Broncos contract for 2019 to link with South Sydney, where he will pocket a similar salary to coach the Rabbitohs.
But the seven-time NRL premiership winning coach hit out at those suggestions, insisting he did not want to walk out on his players at the Broncos.
5ba19315b5e132208b5573113bbdfc86

Wayne Bennett says he is committed to his players, not money.
“This is not about money,” Bennett told The Courier-Mail.
“I don’t want any payout. It’s about the promise I made to my players and I’m keeping my word to them.
“There’s been no doubt I have wanted to be at Brisbane next season. I said way back in April that I wanted to see out the final year of my contract and I haven’t wavered on that. I have been very consistent with my position.
“The Broncos have said they intend to honour my deal and I can only take their word on that.”
7baeecfd3c1ffa04069be97726f9998c

Wayne Bennett pounds the pavements of Brisbane recently.
The Broncos are reluctant to sack Bennett and fork out a significant salary for Seibold to coach the club in 2019, a year before his four-year contract is due to begin.
It was a $2 million turnaround for the Broncos to sack Anthony Griffin in 2014 and bring Bennett back to the club to try and deliver Brisbane a first NRL title since 2006.
The Broncos went within seconds of winning a seventh title in 2015, Bennett’s first year back in Brisbane, but have been unable to win a premiership.
Morris and Broncos CEO Paul White rejected Bennett’s proposal to end his coaching career at Red Hill with a farewell season in 2020, prompting a bitter falling out between the parties.
Bennett has maintained he is committed to seeing out his current contract, meaning the Broncos would have to sack him and pay out $1 million to move him on.
19072ca52309fc7ba4fd5f55e34c9f45

Wayne Bennett hides in his office this week as players train. Picture: Annette Dew
The “promise” Bennett referred to relates to a group text message he sent to Broncos players on September 25 after being informed 2019 would be his last year at Brisbane.
“Hi Guys, There will be a press release at 4.30 stating that 2019 will be my final season for the Brisbane Broncos,” the message read.
“I’m committed to you for 2019 and excited with what we can achieve together. It was a club decision that 2019 was my last and you know regardless of that we know what a great group we are together.
“Have a good rest for us to have the best possible season. Have a fire in the belly for 2019. Coach.”
Bennett has denied suggestions South Sydney was expecting him to join the club on December 3 and he has been planning pre-season training programs for the Rabbitohs.
After hiding in his office during training last Thursday, Bennett will be expected to return to his duties if he is to fulfil his current contract.

https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...y/news-story/26c79c3b8bdc7f88c5fe39a0523de16d

K

Kyall

NRL Player
Oct 4, 2016
While ever WB is coach Boyd will be fullback and I truely believe that we won’t win a premiership with him playing there.

Gaz

Gaz

NRL Captain
Contributor
Oct 7, 2017
Wayne Bennett can’t lose in coaching saga but Anthony Seibold is under siege no matter how it ends
The Great Coaching Circus may have one last spectacular somersault to come but through the maze of possibilities, one fact is clear.
Wayne Bennett is the most formidable foe there is in the game of rugby league politics.
Bennett has as many critics as fans these days and his life is sprinkled with undignified moments, such as hiding in a coffee house toilet to avoid the media on the weekend soon after meeting with Broncos chairman Karl Morris.
1d57ae1ebb5a58f45dddc642fa071056

Wayne Bennett hides at a cafe in Brisbane.
But of the two clubs and two coaches involved in the coaching swap with Anthony Seibold, Bennett alone is assured of a winning outcome thanks to his ability to sit like a stone-faced poker player knowing he has a joker up his sleeve — a contract to coach the Broncos next year.
The Broncos claim Bennett will stay in 2019 — the rumour mill says otherwise.
Either way, Bennett is smoking his pipe.
If Bennett stays in Brisbane he will relish guiding an emerging team with premiership potential, all the while knowing he can have the occasional pot shot at the club’s hierarchy, which effectively cannot sack him because he is going at the end of next season anyway.
f17cd19f91f44e2e215473e10b33db15

Wayne Bennett has played the perfect political game. Picture: Annette Dew
If he goes to South Sydney he will pick up a second wage and instant goodwill from the likes of the Burgess boys whom he jelled with in camp recently with the England team.
Even in accepting the deal to go to South Sydney in 2020, Bennett still gave young Seibold a clip behind the ears, signing with the Rabbitohs with such haste it happened before Seibold had talked turkey with the Broncos.
Given he had parted with Souths by the time he talked money with Brisbane, Seibold was effectively in limbo and it weakened his bargaining power because he suddenly needed the Broncos more than they needed him.
While Bennett cannot lose, Seibold, by contrast, has arrows flying at him from all directions and he will need to be a strong man to get through it.
0c3f4aa1b97ecb1000774be8b468de59

Anthony Seibold is under serious pressure.
The shamelessly ambitious Seibold may have the keys to the kingdom of Brisbane but must tiptoe through a minefield before he puts them in the front door. He is caught between two groups of angry players — the current Souths team if he stays in Sydney and the Broncos old boys.
Souths players are reportedly off him following his defection to Brisbane, so much so that his position at the Rabbitohs coach is deemed by some to be untenable.
No matter whether he arrives in Brisbane this or next year, Seibold will be greeted by a Broncos old boys network angry that Kevin Walters did not get the job.
There will be no honeymoon period for Seibold in Brisbane, where the Broncos are premiership-hungry after a 12-year drought and anything less is a failure of sorts.
Significantly, the bar was not initially as high for the only other two men apart from Bennett to coach the club, Ivan Henjak and Anthony Griffin.

https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...s/news-story/0b5c9a3ff31238bf7f54ee284ca1b93e

Gaz

Gaz

NRL Captain
Contributor
Oct 7, 2017
Wayne Bennett wants media blowtorch turned on his Brisbane bosses
Fed up with having his own privacy invaded, a fired-up Wayne Bennett has asked the question: why doesn’t the media start camping outside the home of his Brisbane bosses Karl Morris and Paul White.
“They have gone missing in action,” Bennett declared in an exclusive interview with The Daily Telegraph.
With the Broncos coaching circus descending into a deeper farce by the day, Bennett also opened up about his treatment since returning home from England last week, adamant “I have done nothing wrong”.
Bennett also hit out at suggestions that he has been holding out for a massive payout, so he can immediately join South Sydney.
82c8583df90532f8b4d40c54f2d655ce

Wayne Bennett says Brisbane’s brass need to be held accountable for the coaching saga.
It has been widely reported Bennett stands to pocket $900,000 if he is sacked by the Broncos.
“There has been these ridiculous suggestions that I am only hanging out for a payout. I am not interested in a payout,” Bennett said.
“I have had 31 years (coaching) in the NRL and I have never been paid out for anything.
“I have never got a cent from a payout, anywhere, and I don’t intend to.”
Bennett also defended his decision to do a runner from Brisbane training last Thursday in an attempt to evade the waiting media.
MORE NRL NEWS...
BENNETT: I don’t want your money

Told it portrayed him as looking like he had something to hide, Bennett fired back: “My problem is that I am not the one making the decisions here.
“I have stated my position and it hasn’t changed.
“But I am still expected to give explanations for decisions and behind-closed-doors conversations which I am not privy to.
“I have said all along that I will honour my contract.
“There is no ifs and buts and maybes about it, all the words people use so they can give themselves an out.
68af9d661bd9cab7e443297fce3bebb5

Wayne Bennett was followed to a Brisbane cafe by media.
“But because (the media) can’t get access to the chairman (Morris) and they can’t get access to the chief executive (White), they have gone missing in action, I am out there trying to defend the indefensible.
“I don’t want to be in that situation because I haven’t been party to the boardroom decisions and other discussions.
“I’d rather do a runner and get that headline then stand in front of a camera and lie.
“The comment I hate most of all is no comment. I just leaves everyone feeling empty.
“For four days in a row I have had people camped outside my house including today (Sunday).
“(Saturday) I was at a restaurant down the road and they arrived there.
“I was embarrassed.
0dde6ada0ef66d6d1b8444a619e36bc4

Bennett tries to escape the media.
dd548b99c464eafdfcac9bceabd8a74a

Bennett says media has been camped outside his house for four days.
“I was there for well over 40 minutes hiding in toilets and backrooms while they tried to stick cameras in through walkways and in through windows.
“Seriously, I have (a reporter) sitting outside my house now.
“Why aren’t they sitting outside homes of the people making the decisions? Why aren’t they being made accountable?
“They know a hell of a lot more than what I do.
“My decision is made.
“They created the issue.
“They can only answer all the questions.
“I have done nothing wrong.”

https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...s/news-story/17421399f2df1f3130fcd531a0827644

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
I really don't understand what the media actually want now that it has been confirmed Bennett is staying in 2019... I get the obvious being that they want clicks, but how are they still writing articles about the Broncos.

Would be more interesting wondering what the **** rabbits are gonna do after their director of football came out and slammed their existing (and currently contracted) coach during a press conference about their incoming coach for 2020.

Perhaps what I don't understand is how these tabloid league writers keep getting paid....

Last edited:

Active Now

• Old Mate
  • winslow_wong
  • Rambstien
  • Harry Sack
  • BroncosAlways
  • Midean
  • Sproj
  • Strop
  • Xzei
  • Dash
  • Bucking Beads
  • Browny
  • Behind enemy lines
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.