MELTDOWN Wayne Bennett - Moves to Souths

Should Wayne Bennett's Contract be Extended?

• Total voters
Interesting. Smart play by Wayne. Will force the club's hand now... however, they still have the upperhand, as they can demand Souths pay compensation if they are to sack Wayne on their behalf.

Admission of the club's offer and his refusal because he wants to keep coaching, which is fair enough from both sides.

I didn't like the implications of what he said about the players staying for him. In that regard, I'd prefer he left, even if we do have to sack him, so players have a chance to work with Seibold and determine whether Wayne is the only bloke they really want to play for.

Can someone post an article or something about what actually happened?

Interesting. Smart play by Wayne. Will force the club's hand now... however, they still have the upperhand, as they can demand Souths pay compensation if they are to sack Wayne on their behalf.

Admission of the club's offer and his refusal because he wants to keep coaching, which is fair enough from both sides.

I didn't like the implications of what he said about the players staying for him. In that regard, I'd prefer he left, even if we do have to sack him, so players have a chance to work with Seibold and determine whether Wayne is the only bloke they really want to play for.
The Broncos won't sack him. It's as simple as that. An outcome I think that could occur is Seibold gets sacked and ends up coming up anyway and the Rabbitohs have a caretaker coach for the year. But the Broncos are never going to sack Bennett. It's a PR and Financial nightmare to do so. He would have to resign, and Wayne won't do that it seems.

You know what would be hilarious. Anthony Seibold. Director of Football 2019. It's coming.

I'm pretty sure I also heard Dobbo say that we've set up at press conference at 4pm up here to announce Seibold, I thought Seibold was still in Sydney? If we've flown him up here this arvo then there's absolutely no scenario we don't fire Bennett.

Last edited:
Wayne Bennett to remain as head coach of the Brisbane Broncos
Peter Badel and Rikki-Lee Arnold, The Courier-Mail

The Broncos-Souths coaching saga has exploded after Wayne Bennett sensationally called his own press conference today to declare he is staying at Brisbane.

In dramatic scenes today at Red Hill, Bennett emerged from his office to announce he is digging his heels in and will not walk away from the final year of his Broncos contract in 2019.

“I’ve spoken to South Sydney ... I have a responsibility here,” Bennett said.

“Players, staff that I work with, the fans, I felt I’d be letting them down if I went a year before I should.

“There’s a lot of things going on behind the scenes there.”

He said his relationship was good with CEO Paul White and chairman Karl Morris.

He’s supported me all the way through,” Bennett said of Morris.

“I think I’ve said things the way they were. I don’t think I’ve criticised anybody.

“That’s behind us, we’re all moving on and we’ll all be one.”

“They knew my position, they knew I was going to make a decision again today that I’ve made 10 times before. This is the last time I’m making it.

Bennett refuted suggestions that he had anythign to do with the drama engulfing the club.

“The drama hasn’t been me. The drama has been everybody else. It’s never come from me.

“Today the deadline for me was because the speculation was mounting and I was going back to training on Monday.”

“The Souths move was never instigated by me. We never talked about ‘19.

“It started when I was overseas the ‘19 bit and I kind of got drawn into it. It’s as simple as that.

“It’s none of my doing.”

Bennett singled out praise for Sydney who had been keen to get Bennett on board a year earlier than the original contract.

“They’ve been outstanding South Sydney. Richo came to England to see me to talk about the contract ... I’m disappointed for them but I’ll be there in 2020

“I have no problems about next year and how I’ll handle it. It’s not an issue for me.”

“I did it here in 2008 ... I’m ready to coach.”

Bennett said he is of the belief every Broncos official wants him to stay in 2019.
“I’m happy with what I’ve done.”

The bombshell has rocked Brisbane and Souths management, who have spent the past four days in delicate talks hoping to finalise a straight swap with Rabbitohs coach Anthony Seibold immediately.

The clubs had set a deadline of 5pm today and the key negotiators widely believed Bennett would succumb to pressure and finally agree to a swift transfer that would see him at Redfern this Monday.

But, right until the end, Bennett walked to the beat of his own drum, holding his own press conference to announce he is going nowhere.

Broncos powerbrokers must now decide whether to sack Bennett _ a scenario they were desperate to avoid given the super coach’s remarkable 25 seasons of service to the club.

The Broncos were hoping to unveil Seibold as their coach at a press conference later today, but that plan is now in tatters as the most toxic coaching drama in the club’s history spins out of control.

Bennett surprised Broncos players by turning up to training this morning at Purtell Park. He spoke briefly with the playing group but did not advise them of any decision, only telling them he would call his own press conference.

The Broncos and Rabbitohs have come under mounting pressure to initiate a straight swap after Seibold was last month named Brisbane’s coach for 2020 _ prompting Souths to respond by poaching Bennett.

Just last Saturday, Bennett looked certain to be coaching the Broncos in 2019 after a meeting with chairman Karl Morris failed to result in his sacking.

But Souths were determined to fast-track an urgent transfer, prompting Bennett and the Broncos to come back to the negotiating table.

Broncos skipper Darius Boyd said last week Brisbane players would have no issue working with Seibold if Bennett departed a year early.

“You have to take a business approach,” he said.

“It’s a business these days and coaches are not immune to it. I’d love to be coached by Wayne for the rest of my career but I have nothing against Anthony Seibold, as players we’ll get on with the job.”

Source: Courier Mail

You know what would be hilarious. Anthony Seibold. Director of Football 2019. It's coming.
giphy.gif

LOL Seibold was ALWAYS coming to Brisbane for the Mundine fight. This reporter blurted it out so Bennett staying on was always a possibility they always knew(but it wasn't what they wanted to hear or report) and if a press conference with Seibold to occur it would be his thoughts and to finally put to rest the dragging on of this saga. Did Bennett really make them look stupid or did they do that on their own?

Last edited:
I think this is in News Corp's hands now, the board won't have a say if Wayne gets the sack this arvo. Could be massive effects to the playing group though if News corp come over the top.

I think this is in News Corp's hands now, the board won't have a say if Wayne gets the sack this arvo. Could be massive effects to the playing group though if News corp come over the top.

I don't think Newscorp would even have the authority to do that (even if they are the major shareholders)

Public companies such as us are different to privately owned companies such as Souths ...

I can't see the Broncos sacking Wayne and surely we cant see Souths giving Seibold the punt either, we would likely just pick him up and give him a role in some capacity.

It would really hurt their 2019 season.

Last edited:
Is there a chance that this could happen

1/ hire Seibold for next year
2/ instead of sacking Wayne, place him on Gardening duties
3/ if he wants to coach next year, he’ll have to forfeit whatever is left, pro-rata

Bit vindictive, but well within there rights I suppose

Active Now

• Wolfie
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Fozz
  • Bish
  • BroncosAlways
  • HarryAllan7
  • Battler
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Morkel
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Big Del
  • Culhwch
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Cavalo
  • GCBRONCO
  • Fitzy
  • Skathen
  • Broncosgirl
  • bazza
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.