MELTDOWN Wayne Bennett - Moves to Souths

Should Wayne Bennett's Contract be Extended?

• Total voters
Who actually said that the Broncos would have a 4pm press conference? The media? Because the last thing they've said is that they had Seibold "on standby" for a 4pm unveiling as the Broncos' new coach. Does that mean that 4pm will come and go, Souths' deadline for the swap will come and go, and we can FINALLY resume with our 2019 prep???

Yeah there was a few different wordings, someone said they scheduled a presser with Seibold at 4pm, someone said he was on standby for a presser.

I think it's safe to say that if nothing has happened by 6pm tonight, nothing will be happening, that'll be the end of it.

The only positive thing I have to say about this shitstorm today at Red Hill is, thank **** it is f'ing Friday!

At least the Dreamboat is on board for next year now. Don't know why these signings are taking so long.

Last edited:
4pm has come and gone.......nothin.

19d15sk1b7qx9gif.gif

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/11/30...ett-anthony-seibold-swap-wont-happen-in-2019/

South Sydney players have been told Anthony Seibold will remain as coach for next season after Wayne Bennett rejected a proposed swap to serve out his final year in charge of Brisbane.
Broncos officials were hoping to confirm Seibold as their new coach on Friday after high-level negotiations involving the club’s major stakeholder, NewsCorp, to facilitate the exchange for next season but Bennett announced he was staying put.
Bennett and Seibold will switch clubs in 2020 but Rabbitohs general manager of football Shane Richardson advised captain Greg Inglis and other senior players, including Sam Burgess, John Sutton and Damien Cook, that it would be business as usual next season.
"I have spoken to Seibs and the senior players this afternoon and we are all moving forward in 2019 together," Richardson said.
"I spoke to Greg before he flew out on his holiday and he is really happy, so is Sam and John Sutton and Cookie, so we are in a good space that way.
"We’ve just now got to knuckle down in 2019 and get on with the job of trying to win it. That would be the best thing for everyone."
Seibold was at Redfern Oval when Bennett advised Broncos players he would continue at the club next season and the 2018 Dally M coach of the year later flew to Brisbane to attend a fundraising event for his former school and Friday night’s Anthony Mundine-Jeff Horn fight.
While there was speculation he would also be unveiled as the Broncos coach, Richardson insisted Bennett had never made a commitment to Souths that he would take charge next season.
Both clubs were keen for an immediate swap but Seibold will now oversee Rabbitohs training on Monday and Bennett will remain at the helm of the Broncos.
"At the end of the day it comes down to whether the administration, the coaches and the players can get on with the job, and we can because no one has got a problem with each other," Richardson said.
"There is no animosity between Seibs and I, and there is no animosity between the senior players and Seibs so we will just keep going in the same direction in 2019."

c2192f9c1e4c9eb5c17e1f24affe37eb67c08459f991487cc19016e1c660cd73.jpg

Last edited:
Well I just heard from my neighbour's barber's twice removed cousin's brother in law's personal trainer that this swap is 100% going to happen. We'll hear more next week.

The thing that's so amusing yet so frustrating about all this is that it was completely driven by the media. If you block out all the speculation and look at the official interviews, on-the-record comments, etc, everything indicated that Bennett and Seibold would stay put until 2020.

The "untenable" situation will prove over the next few weeks to be absolute bullshit, and both teams will go in to 2019 wanting to spill blood for their respective coaches in their final seasons with them.

Who said that Bennett had told Souths' officials that he'd be there next week? The media.
Who said that JD's family had been told that they'd be moving to Sydney soon? The media.
Who said that Brisbane's officials wanted Bennett gone immediately, and the situation was untenable? The media.
Who said that Souths' players were filthy at Seibold for dumping them and wanted him gone? The media?

It is so fucking obvious that the media get the slightest whiff of bullshit and spread it as truth. It is equally as obvious that Bennett not only played the media perfectly, but did not once even look like blinking, and maintained the whole time that he wanted to coach the Broncos in 2019 and that plan had never changed. As did the Broncos.

Bennett has so many points against the media, and they have not got him once. They have tried time and time again to sabotage him because he simply does not play their game. Every time they have tried to force Bennett's hand, to try to get him to fall on his sword, use their influence to force him in to a position he does not want to go, Bennett has outwitted them. Easily.

The thing that's so amusing yet so frustrating about all this is that it was completely driven by the media. If you block out all the speculation and look at the official interviews, on-the-record comments, etc, everything indicated that Bennett and Seibold would stay put until 2020.

The "untenable" situation will prove over the next few weeks to be absolute bullshit, and both teams will go in to 2019 wanting to spill blood for their respective coaches in their final seasons with them.

Who said that Bennett had told Souths' officials that he'd be there next week? The media.
Who said that JD's family had been told that they'd be moving to Sydney soon? The media.
Who said that Brisbane's officials wanted Bennett gone immediately, and the situation was untenable? The media.
Who said that Souths' players were filthy at Seibold for dumping them and wanted him gone? The media?

It is so fucking obvious that the media get the slightest whiff of bullshit and spread it as truth. It is equally as obvious that Bennett not only played the media perfectly, but did not once even look like blinking, and maintained the whole time that he wanted to coach the Broncos in 2019 and that plan had never changed. As did the Broncos.

Bennett has so many points against the media, and they have not got him once. They have tried time and time again to sabotage him because he simply does not play their game. Every time they have tried to force Bennett's hand, to try to get him to fall on his sword, use their influence to force him in to a position he does not want to go, Bennett has outwitted them. Easily.

I think it's relatively unfair to say the whole thing was driven by the media when there was a meeting this morning where the Broncos & Bennett had to decide what they were going to do. If there was zero truth to anything the media was saying, there would've been zero reason to have any sort of meeting or press conference today. Bennett even said when he arrived at Red Hill this morning that "There's an important decision to be made" or something along those lines. This was definitely driven by the Broncos & Rabbitohs and gradually leaked throughout the media, but ultimately the final decision came down to Bennett, and he wants to stay, which is absolutely fair enough. Hopefully everyone moves on with their lives now and we can have a good 2019.

But my daughter's best friend's sister won the Seibold kids nanny job. She was told she'd be starting next week. It's not over yet...

Well I just heard from my neighbour's barber's twice removed cousin's brother in law's personal trainer that this swap is 100% going to happen. We'll hear more next week.

I heard when the broncos finally play the rabbits the coach swap will happen for one game just to ease both coaches into their new roles.

I think it's relatively unfair to say the whole thing was driven by the media when there was a meeting this morning where the Broncos & Bennett had to decide what they were going to do. If there was zero truth to anything the media was saying, there would've been zero reason to have any sort of meeting or press conference today. Bennett even said when he arrived at Red Hill this morning that "There's an important decision to be made" or something along those lines. This was definitely driven by the Broncos & Rabbitohs and gradually leaked throughout the media, but ultimately the final decision came down to Bennett, and he wants to stay, which is absolutely fair enough. Hopefully everyone moves on with their lives now and we can have a good 2019.

Maybe. It certainly looked like there was a lot of paddling under the water. But none of that paddling was ever done by Bennett. Most of it was Souths, and some of it was supposedly Brisbane scrambling to offer Bennett a severance package. None of this was official though, all of it was speculated by the media, so it too could be horse shit.

And how do we know that the press conference wasn't called by Bennett simply because today was supposedly the deadline for Bennett to decide whether to switch or not, and he knew what the media would think and let them run with it. He could also have been doing nothing more than reassuring the fans - the same ones who were desperate for constant updates and felt like the club wasn't providing it.

I look forward to next Friday’s press conference

And how do we know that the press conference wasn't called by Bennett simply because today was supposedly the deadline for Bennett to decide whether to switch or not, and he knew what the media would think and let them run with it.

Bennett said he was the one who put the deadline on today, nobody else did that. Broncos & Bennett were in discussions as late as this morning discussing about the potential switch, this is all coming from the mouth of Bennett, not the media. Both the Broncos & Souths were praying Bennett would sign off on the switch so we could be done with this circus, alas, he did not.

It's a weird situation though, I genuinely don't think the media got anything wrong, I think everyone in their right mind was expecting him to agree to the switch this morning, including his own coaching staff & loved ones. What stopped him? We may never know.

Bennett said he was the one who put the deadline on today, nobody else did that. Broncos & Bennett were in discussions as late as this morning discussing about the potential switch, this is all coming from the mouth of Bennett, not the media. Both the Broncos & Souths were praying Bennett would sign off on the switch so we could be done with this circus, alas, he did not.

It's a weird situation though, I genuinely don't think the media got anything wrong, I think everyone in their right mind was expecting him to agree to the switch this morning, including his own coaching staff & loved ones. What stopped him? We may never know.

I genuinely think he stayed with the Broncos simply because he said he would, publicly. He didn’t want to go back on his word.

Active Now

• AscotinOz
  • Broncorob
  • Mighty Bronx
  • Brocko
  • bb_gun
  • Harry Sack
  • MrMoore
  • winslow_wong
  • Galah
  • BroncosAlways
  • Broncosgirl
  • cento
  • MrRobot
  • Fatboy
  • Locky's Left Boot
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.