MELTDOWN Wayne Bennett - Moves to Souths

Should Wayne Bennett's Contract be Extended?

• Total voters
Now that the storm has passed, and I have had time to formulate my thoughts on the whole saga, I find myself surprisingly conflicted.

On one hand, it's incredibly hard to make a dent in the respect I have for Wayne after all he's achieved for us, and I think a fair few have underestimated how much of a turnaround he has delivered since returning. Oh the short memories. We were in the fucking doldrums from 2010-14, and watching the Broncs play had become an agonizing chore. And once again, the ripples of 2015 are still felt. If we had won the Grand Final, would we be here discussing this now? Something tells me we wouldn't be, whether Wayne decided to retire then and there or not. So if you really want someone to level blame at for the shitshow we find ourselves in now, make it the handful of players who choked hard when we needed them at their best the most.

On the other hand, Wayne's behavior over the past few months, IF it has played out like we are assuming it did, has not ingratiated him to me very much. And we are well within our rights to make such assumptions. It's evident that Bennett has never been one to leave clubs in a better state than he found them in, and it raises questions about his motives in terms of making himself look more important to a clubs fortunes than perhaps he really is.

And then there is the likes of White and Morris who, when it was crystal clear they needed to show a bit of balls and deal with this emphatically early on, allowed the circus to drag on for way too long in a sort of cold war with the coach to achieve, what? As it turns out, not much at all. They may have found an excuse not to pay Bennett's final year out, but what did it cost them in terms of credibility?

I'm not even gonna bother talking about Souths and the effect this has had on them, because if we're all being honest with ourselves, none of us really give a shit. Sink or swim with Bennett is all I have to say, because for better or worse, he's your problem now. As for Seibold, well to be frank I would have been a lot more optimistic about him before this shit storm piled a mountain of pressure onto his shoulders, and lets not forget Bennett was 2 and 0 over him last season. For my own sanity, all I can do is put that down to a clear difference in the quality of the squads, and not the coaches.

Speaking of the squad, that is pretty much the most important end game for me. If we retain the likes of Oates, Lodge and TPJ over the next couple of weeks, swell, I can sleep well knowing things could have been a lot worse. If they don't, well....Lets just say I will be keenly awaiting the Broncos board simultaneously falling on the biggest sword they can find in the armory, because by that point, the whole thing has been a complete catastrophe.

Bennett got out-wayned and now thats a blemish on seibold? Bennett lied to his employers and manipulated the media to put seibold into a box and seibold fought back. What was he meant to do? Say “haha good work wayne, whenever you want to move give me a call, i will just wait for you buddy! Cheers for fucking me around!”

I applaud seibold! The hipocrisy for the pro-bennett group is laughable. Bennett gets applauded for manipulating the media but still we are told it isnt about money and he has some moral reason for doing what he is doing whilst he always has his players best intentions at heart, yet seibold calls him out for the bs on all fronts and now its a blemish on his record? Haha

Absofuckinglutely spot on!

Wayne Bennett to Join Rabbitohs as Head Coach for Season 2019

Author
South Sydney Rabbitohs
Timestamp
Sun 2 Dec 2018, 06:23 PM
The Rabbitohs have also agreed to a request for a contract release for Anthony Seibold to join the Brisbane Broncos this coming season.
Coach Bennett had already signed a deal to join the Rabbitohs in 2020 on a two-year contract, which is now extended to a three-year agreement including Season 2019.
"I'm really pleased it's all resolved and that I can join this great Club with a free mind, knowing I did the right thing by the fans, staff and players," Bennett said.
"I'm really looking forward to being at South Sydney and working with the players, staff, Board and all of the Members.
"It's a wonderful Club, South Sydney, and I feel privileged to have the chance to coach this team."
Rabbitohs General Manager of Football, Shane Richardson, is very happy to have Bennett on board for the coming season.
"Wayne is ready to go for 2019 and we're ready for him to start his tenure with us," Mr Richardson said.
"Everyone is really excited about the season ahead and we're sure it will be a great year for our Members and supporters.
"We thank Anthony for his efforts over the past two years and we wish him, his wife Hollie and his three daughters Isabella, Ava and Sienna the best for the future."

Last edited:
Excited for change but very disappointed with how it all came about.

Nobody, and I mean nobody, has come out of this smelling like roses.

The really disappointing thing though, is the reaction on here by so many.

Nobody but the very few insiders (Wayne, Seibs, and the boards) actually know what happened.

The rest of us are basing our opinions on press conferences and media reports, and that's exactly what they are; opinions.

Yet you decide that your opinion is actually, fact.

Heads up, it isn't.

IMO, the man who built the club and bought us 6 premierships at least deserves a little benefit of doubt.

He may have engineered the entire thing, and if so, I'd be disappointed but bottom line I don't know if he did or didn't, but I'm open to the possibility that he did and so there is now a shadow over his legacy, a question mark if you will. But so many of you have decided with 100% certainty that he is guilty and now despise the man. You simply don't know for sure what happened and would do well to remember that.

And further, if Wayne did get the shits on because the club he built wouldn't give him an extension and engineered this whole thing as a big **** you, who am I to say I wouldn't have done the same thing if I was put in the same position? I'm only human and I may well have acted the same way.

For all of you ready to burn Wayne at the stake, remember you are human too, and you may be wrong in your assumptions about this whole saga, and even if you're right, whose to say you wouldn't have done the same thing in the same situation?

This place needs a big load of humility.
There’s no doubting that Bennett made sacrifices for this club, but more than some of his players? More than some of his staff? I guess none of us fans will ever really know. But I reckon it’s safe to say he didn’t break bones, destroy joints or shed blood for the club like some of the players he coldly and clinically pushed out the door did.

In fact, one of the favourite BHQ punching bags, Gordon Tallis, broke his neck playing for the club and continued to give everything to the jersey when he could have walked away. That didn’t stop Bennett denying him the sendoff many thought he deserved. Bennett pushed Lazarus out the door too. The same with a raft of other players who put everything and more into the jersey over their careers.

Hopefully, Bennett did what he did because he thought those players could no longer deliver. Now, the board thinks Bennett can no longer deliver. They may very well be right; Bennett hasn’t delivered since his return and even his biggest fan must seriously question if he still can.

So why does he deserve something he denied so many of his players over their careers?

I want to be clear, I’m not disagreeing with everything you’re saying. Indeed, some of what you’ve said is bang on, but to be honest, it seems you have gone to the extreme in both your support of Bennett and also justifying your view whilst criticising others for theirs.

Bennett is not the Broncos. He didn’t invent sliced bread, part the sea or save the world. He coached an absolute star-studded team to success in the 90’s and 2000. The 2006 win was his best achievement, but let’s not forget he had the greatest player to lace a boot at his disposal then too.

Great coach. Best record. No one can debate that. It’s fact.

But he is not the only reason this club is what it is. Like I said in my previous post, so many others have helped make this club what it is, but people tend to forget that and let emotion get in the way of reason in their support of him whilst turning a blind eye to how he treated some of the clubs great players.

That I can’t understand.

Last edited:
So Bennett has been manipulating everything behind the scenes to either force Brisbane to pay him out or shaft Seibold's season at the Rabbitohs so he looks good coming in as the savior of Souths.

He deserved to be hung out to dry. He was banking on no one releasing this stuff and it backfired. People want clarity in these situations, that email release gave it, it showed the person taking the highest road publicly to actually be the person being the most manipulative.

I dont know why you are asking me, i know the same as everyone else on here, nothing. Still doesnt change though they both may have both resorted to underhanded methods at some point.

So true , I only watched about 5 full games last year. Definitely not going to come close this year either. All this has made me " meh" about the Broncos and aussie sport in general. Oh and the media can suck my balls.
I lost a lot of interest during the Henjak/Hook era, a period in which the Broncos officially lost their aura and became mere mortals. My interest spruced up a bit when Bennett returned but after all this rubbish that has taken place in this off season (not only this situation with Brisbane), the sport is becoming farcical. Thankfully the season is a ways off.

Still haven't seen any of this supposed email that everyone has an opinion on, could someone assist me please?

Wayne Bennett to Join Rabbitohs as Head Coach for Season 2019

Author
South Sydney Rabbitohs
Timestamp
Sun 2 Dec 2018, 06:23 PM
The Rabbitohs have also agreed to a request for a contract release for Anthony Seibold to join the Brisbane Broncos this coming season.
Coach Bennett had already signed a deal to join the Rabbitohs in 2020 on a two-year contract, which is now extended to a three-year agreement including Season 2019.
"I'm really pleased it's all resolved and that I can join this great Club with a free mind, knowing I did the right thing by the fans, staff and players," Bennett said.
"I'm really looking forward to being at South Sydney and working with the players, staff, Board and all of the Members.
"It's a wonderful Club, South Sydney, and I feel privileged to have the chance to coach this team."
Rabbitohs General Manager of Football, Shane Richardson, is very happy to have Bennett on board for the coming season.
"Wayne is ready to go for 2019 and we're ready for him to start his tenure with us," Mr Richardson said.
"Everyone is really excited about the season ahead and we're sure it will be a great year for our Members and supporters.
"We thank Anthony for his efforts over the past two years and we wish him, his wife Hollie and his three daughters Isabella, Ava and Sienna the best for the future."
So..sounds like Wayne can answer Richardson's phone call, but couldn't answer the CEO of (at the time) his employer - Paul White..
Probably sums up Wayne to a tee, and this mess that he has been front and centre of.

Last edited:
I havent seen any proof that email is legit or has come from Seibold. Genuinley, if there is a link to prove it i'd like to see it. All i've seen are some quotes to newscorp, and thats about it.

Regardless of anything though, if Bennett apparently has been underhanded, then so has Seibold. They have both been equally as bad imo and ive lost respect for how both have handled this as well as the Broncos as an organisation. Its obvious they didnt want him here for 2019, so they should have bitten the bullet and done this weeks ago and spared everyone this whole circus. Probably the reason they didnt do it is the fear of the backlash from the playing group.

I'm not pro Bennett or pro Seibold either, but you cant slate one bloke for being underhanded and praise the other for doing the same, surely thats hypocrisy? You cant have it both ways. Bennett has done what Bennett always does, he has played people to get his own way. I dont see Bennett as coming out of this a loser and i just dont see how he has been out wayned. If he wanted the sack ( which all the signs are pointing to ) then he has got what he wants.

If Seibold leaked it than good for him! Something had to be done. What was transpiring was not helping anyone, including Bennett.

How does your mum feel about all this?

Come on mate, that's a pretty uncalled for sledge. I thought you were better than that. What are you trying to say exactly?

Last edited:
Terms confidential sounds like there was a payout involved to me.
Yeah I don't understand how they can confidentially sack him. If they've cancelled the contract, surely he's not bound to any privacy agreement.

Maybe someone who understands employment laws can comment on it.

Lol wow... the media lie but what you are claiming they have done there they would get sued for.....and for a hell of a lot of money too! You are claiming that they have fabricated an email and made up false statements from seibold?

Also, bennett brought this on! Seibold was quiet on all fronts before bennett boxed him into a corner with his games. Seibold then showed up bennett...

Bennett wanted to get sacked, true.. WITH A PAYOUT! He wont get that. He lost...

The media have fed us a vague story so far from what ive read. Like i said, if you can link me the whole story i'd appreciate it. I'm also not claiming they have fabricated anything, i'm saying what i've seen doesnt tell me a great deal. If its true, then Seibold has been as devious as Bennett. Two wrongs dont make a right, if Bennetts been underhanded you dont have to stoop to that level, you can have your own standards. Like i said, its very hypocritical to bag one and not bag the other.

As for the payout, that remains to be seen. I reckon judging from the comments he has got something. They would have no reason to keep thing confidential otherwise. I guess we will see what Bennett does next.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that even after the way Bennett has conducted himself, dickheads will still find a way to shit on the club.

I’ll think you will find he is shitting on Bennett.

Yeah I don't understand how they can confidentially sack him. If they've cancelled the contract, surely he's not bound to any privacy agreement.

Maybe someone who understands employment laws can comment on it.
A survival clause can be written into contracts specifying which clauses, or indicating clauses that, by their nature, would survive termination, do so.

Confidentially can most certainly be one of those clauses to survive termination. Specifically, or generally.

There could be a period of survival (e.g. 12 months) or it could be perpetual. Most likely, there will be a period of survival.

Last edited:
I havent seen any proof that email is legit or has come from Seibold. Genuinley, if there is a link to prove it i'd like to see it. All i've seen are some quotes to newscorp, and thats about it.

Regardless of anything though, if Bennett apparently has been underhanded, then so has Seibold. They have both been equally as bad imo and ive lost respect for how both have handled this as well as the Broncos as an organisation. Its obvious they didnt want him here for 2019, so they should have bitten the bullet and done this weeks ago and spared everyone this whole circus. Probably the reason they didnt do it is the fear of the backlash from the playing group.

I'm not pro Bennett or pro Seibold either, but you cant slate one bloke for being underhanded and praise the other for doing the same, surely thats hypocrisy? You cant have it both ways. Bennett has done what Bennett always does, he has played people to get his own way. I dont see Bennett as coming out of this a loser and i just dont see how he has been out wayned. If he wanted the sack ( which all the signs are pointing to ) then he has got what he wants.
Yeah.. But with no payout
Wayne always manipulated people and media to do what was best for the club.
Now it seems he was trying to tank the club and AS

Seibold was along for the ride because everyone was trying to keep Bennett's legacy in tact out of respect.

But he chucked a huge tantrum and tried to just monopoly flip the whole thing and take his payout.

Glad he gets nothing and glad the other staff and families now have clarity

Active Now

• Sproj
  • Harry Sack
  • IceWorks
  • bert_lifts
  • Painin the Haas
  • Ejbroncos
  • Fozz
  • NSW stables
  • barker
  • Santa
  • lynx000
  • broncotville
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.