We need a halfback

If you have to lose Glenn to retain Fifita, it is a shame but you do it in a heartbeat.

Re-signing Gillett on so much for so long was stupid. I have no idea why Brisbane has made these kind of decisions with other, bettered guys. Re-signing Gillett on that contract will probably cost Glenn who would have been a more astute re-signing. Hopefully it doesn't cost Fifita.

Fifita wants to play on an edge, and rightly so. Currently being used a bit all over the place. There is an opportunity at the Storm to lock down an edge position. Could be tempting for him.
It could be tempting..
But the biggest drawcard for playing for the storm is about to retire. Bellamy is a great coach but his record without c Smith is attrocious. For the first time since about 2005 you would be going to Melbourne not 100% sure they will be a top 4 team every year.
Is moving away from your home state and the club you drempt of playing for who are quite obviously growing a dynasty of their own if the young guys who grew up playing together stick together worth it when success isn't guaranteed?
Fifita is just the next cab off the rank for the media. TPJ and lodge were out of the broncos months ago if they were to be believed. Storm may have interest, but I don't think he will be any chance of leaving. They can't dangle the playing with a qld immortal and guaranteed success carrot anymore than any other club until everyone sees how they play without their second coach....

I wish my team could just run up a score to 40 like Panthers and Roosters have done so far.
Cronk/Keary & Maloney/Cleary keep probing till the 80th minute laying on try after try assisting their sides to healthy differentials.
Loved it when Cleary took the tap right in front, twice, when his side was up by 4 and when they were up by 10.

But alas, I have to watch Boyd and Milford point to the sticks for the penalty or take meaning less field goals whilst being at least 3 tries up. Fox callers were questioning this as well against the Dogs. Does the current leadership group know that we are minus 40 or even look at the ladder?
Pet-fucking-hate of mine, this penalty goals :sake:

I wish my team could just run up a score to 40 like Panthers and Roosters have done so far.
Cronk/Keary & Maloney/Cleary keep probing till the 80th minute laying on try after try assisting their sides to healthy differentials.
Loved it when Cleary took the tap right in front, twice, when his side was up by 4 and when they were up by 10.

But alas, I have to watch Boyd and Milford point to the sticks for the penalty or take meaning less field goals whilst being at least 3 tries up. Fox callers were questioning this as well against the Dogs. Does the current leadership group know that we are minus 40 or even look at the ladder?
Pet-fucking-hate of mine, this penalty goals :sake:
Just shows a lack of confidence. And rightly so with so many changes in the spine over the season. We are improving each week though. The chooks and the Panthers have great sides that have played a lot together and it shows. We aren’t going too bad really when you look at all the injuries and disruption to key positions, not to mention age and inexperience. I know we won’t threaten much this season but I have high hopes for the next 3-5 years. Good times ahead!!

Fifita wants to play on an edge, and rightly so. Currently being used a bit all over the place. There is an opportunity at the Storm to lock down an edge position. Could be tempting for him.

Do you think he will stay?

I would have thought that it would be way easier to lock down an edge spot here. Surely he wouldn't oust Kaufusi or Bromwich for a while, unless they are looking to move one of them on?

I would have thought that it would be way easier to lock down an edge spot here. Surely he wouldn't oust Kaufusi or Bromwich for a while, unless they are looking to move one of them on?
Bromwich has only grabbed that spot this year... at the start of the year he was on the bench.

There's also Tino coming through who is an edge forward... I think

I think Fifi will lock down the left edge spot this year with Glenn to left centre... done

Last edited:

I find it amazing that clubs with more than one million dollar player can throw big money around. The cows, Storm (Smith’s on over a mil, which he’s still worth, but I can’t believe he didn’t take a pay cut because of his age and apparent love for the club), and rorters (naturally) are all in the market. Then you have the sharks who just got done for rorting still sniffing around and the Knights still wanting to sign players despite buying their entire squad.

It’s almost like the Broncos don’t want to tempt fate because we’re a public entity and getting caught cheating the cap would hurt us more than any other club.

Edit: if the cows signed Holmes, who they were offering big money to, they’d potentially have three million dollar players plus others like McLean and McGuire who they paid overs for.

Bromwich has only grabbed that spot this year... at the start of the year he was on the bench.

There's also Tino coming through who is an edge forward... I think

I think Fifi will lock down the left edge spot this year with Glenn to left centre... done

The club has lost the plot if Glenn is re-signed for anything more than 200k with Fifi still not locked up.

Last edited:
I like how this thread was taken way off the tracks... Nice work lads.

To answer the original question, why? Why do we need to sign a half back on big money (Which there are none who are off contract. Yes we could get Maloney but I still reckon he would go elsewhere.

Dearden and SoS will be a great combo. Dearden will direct traffic and has a nice kicking game which he was just starting to show when he was injured. SoS is the more aggressive running half with a nice short game (kind of reminds me a little of Norman). Both will complement each other I reckon.
Milford at 1 who can also kick along with Turpin at 9. I feel like that's a solid spine which will do really well and will complement each other nicely.
We just haven't had the chance to see them play together yet. A full pre season and hopefully no Boyd (ISC or to centre) and Macca (ISC) and I can see us doing really well behind that forward pack.

I like how this thread was taken way off the tracks... Nice work lads.

To answer the original question, why? Why do we need to sign a half back on big money (Which there are none who are off contract. Yes we could get Maloney but I still reckon he would go elsewhere.

Dearden and SoS will be a great combo. Dearden will direct traffic and has a nice kicking game which he was just starting to show when he was injured. SoS is the more aggressive running half with a nice short game (kind of reminds me a little of Norman). Both will complement each other I reckon.
Milford at 1 who can also kick along with Turpin at 9. I feel like that's a solid spine which will do really well and will complement each other nicely.
We just haven't had the chance to see them play together yet. A full pre season and hopefully no Boyd (ISC or to centre) and Macca (ISC) and I can see us doing really well behind that forward pack.
Would happen in a perfect world, given the 2 dinosaurs still contracted, it still creates a huge speed bump to happen

Okay, I need an update on Dearden and SOS. Does anyone have a progress report? SOS seemed to have a minor hamstring complaint so should he be available soon?

Dearden either next week or Storm, SOS I think is another 3-4 weeks or so.

Dearden either next week or Storm, SOS I think is another 3-4 weeks or so.

If he’s ready to go I’d ease him in with the titans game. Be a daunting task to throw him in undone against the storm.

Yep I agree. If he doesn’t get up this week, I’d leave Dearden out against Storm and play him in ISC that week.

Okay, I need an update on Dearden and SOS. Does anyone have a progress report? SOS seemed to have a minor hamstring complaint so should he be available soon?

From the club website
Tom Dearden (return round 20)
Sean O'Sullivan (return round 21)

Matt Gillett (return round 20)
Gehamat Shibaski (return round 21)

Back row, centre, halves conundrum...who to omit?

I think I’d be happy to never see Shibasaki named again!! I’d rather Glenn or Farnworth.

Glenn and Fifita defending together on that left edge is pretty potent. The only worry is they’d get beaten by speed but no way anyone is running over the top of them.

And tino and tama
Glenn and Fifita defending together on that left edge is pretty potent. The only worry is they’d get beaten by speed but no way anyone is running over the top of them.
Fifita is quick???

Active Now

• Financeguy
  • Ondi
  • porouian
  • broncotville
  • Broncosgirl
  • Foordy
  • Tim K
  • Fitzy
  • Socnorb
  • ChewThePhatt
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.