We need a halfback

Fox sports ran a story which said Gallen talked to DL about offering Maloney a contract; DL then said some complimentary things about Maloney...

And that's it.....just some banter amoungst former players but i reckon its something that has crossed the minds of at least 1 of our current directors...

Doesnt mean anything is pending mind.....just banter..!

Last edited:
Stick with the young fellas I reckon, both have looked like they can handle the top flight. O'Sullivan seemed a little out of his depth in his first 2 outings but by the 3rd he was up for it and will only improve, as will Dearden who was up for it from day dot.

We'll miss Turpin's energy but I'm still backing him to stick it out underneath Macca and eventually take his starting spot. He'll be good coverage for the halves as well from the bench.

Darius to play left centre, him and Oates have always had a good combination so having them side by side should work well. It's no coincidence that Staggs has been looking his most lethal since being shifted back onto that right side either.

Fox sports ran a story which said Gallen talked to DL about offering Maloney a contract; DL then said some complimentary things about Maloney...

And that's it.....just some banter amoungst former players but i reckon its something that has crossed the minds of at least 1 of our current directors...

Doesnt mean anything is pending mind.....just banter..!
It was on the sunday footy show in nsw, i am not sure if qld gets it.

Maloney was raised but locky didnt really buy into it too much. He Mentioned dearden, paix and SOS. Said that dearden had been in the box with seibs during games when he has been injured and showing good knowledge of the game.

I am happy to run with dearden and sos in 7 and 6 when they are fit (havent seen paix play so he may by around there too).

I dont see us picking up a half without losing other players we want to keep.

As some of u may have seen, the roosters have signed yet another halfback in flanagan. So all those people that were concerned about losing walker to them a few months back, if we were keen on him, we could pick him up again in two years at probably similar price as he would be a fair way down the pecking order.
[automerge]1563790141[/automerge]
As some of u may have seen, the roosters have signed yet another halfback in flanagan. So all those people that were concerned about losing walker to them a few months back, if we were keen on him, we could pick him up again in two years at probably similar price as he would be a fair way down the pecking order.
Have him develop his skills whilst on someone elses dollar.

Last edited:
[automerge]1563790141[/automerge]

Have him develop his skills whilst on someone elses dollar.
We tried that already.

They got Flanagan to replace Cronk and Walker to replace Flanagan. It’s called succession planning. Something our mob have never heard of unfortunately.

They got Flanagan to replace Cronk and Walker to replace Flanagan. It’s called succession planning. Something our mob have never heard of unfortunately.
No we just get picked apart by the rest of the clubs.

If you look at the points lost by being unable to close out a game we have lost five potentially winnable points against the Dragqueens, the Tigers and the Worriers. We certainly need a half back that can successfully execute a clutch play when needed.

Those five points would see us sitting currently just out of the top four.

That's the minuscule margins between success and failure in this comp.

If you look at the points lost by being unable to close out a game we have lost five potentially winnable points against the Dragqueens, the Tigers and the Worriers. We certainly need a half back that can successfully execute a clutch play when needed.

Those five points would see us sitting currently just out of the top four.

That's the minuscule margins between success and failure in this comp.
Dearden wasn't playing in any of those matches

Flannigan is like 20... is Walker playing reserve grade till he's 28??
I stand corrected but thought Sam Walker is 16. If he is as good as reported then Flanagan can keep the seat warm until he’s ready. Options is good.
[automerge]1563801758[/automerge]
Sorry my bad he turned 17 in June. Never the less he has time on his side.

Last edited:
I stand corrected but thought Sam Walker is 16. If he is as good as reported then Flanagan can keep the seat warm until he’s ready. Options is good.
[automerge]1563801758[/automerge]
Sorry my bad he turned 17 in June. Never the less he has time on his side.
By the time his contract ends he is 19/20. If he is still showing promise, the broncos could make a play at him then.

By this time we should have a better idea if he is on course to meet his potential, and asses if he is a good fit.

By the time his contract ends he is 19/20. If he is still showing promise, the broncos could make a play at him then.

By this time we should have a better idea if he is on course to meet his potential, and asses if he is a good fit.
Thing is Flanagan’s contract is only for two years from 2020. So when young Walker is at an age, like you say 19/20, and ready to hit his straps he is already in the Roosters system and they'll have a choice. They have a strong model and can sit back and future proof every position and it’s what the good teams and top teams do. Don’t forget Walker was never in our system and with Keary’s history of head knocks and concussion the Roosters may have their halves sorted for the next ten years in these two young blokes.
I wouldn't be surprised at all if by then Dearden and SOS are right up there with them.

Thing is Flanagan’s contract is only for two years from 2020. So when young Walker is at an age, like you say 19/20, and ready to hit his straps he is already in the Roosters system and they'll have a choice. They have a strong model and can sit back and future proof every position and it’s what the good teams and top teams do. Don’t forget Walker was never in our system and with Keary’s history of head knocks and concussion the Roosters may have their halves sorted for the next ten years in these two young blokes.
I wouldn't be surprised at all if by then Dearden and SOS are right up there with them.
Walker's contract with the Broncos finished this year, so how wasn't he in our system?

In front of walker they have lam, lamb and some other bloke i cant recall the name of.

Based upon this generation of players who are not really willing to bide their contracts time into firstgrade, i think he could be poached if it looked like he would have greater opportunities elsewhere (and we were desperate).

Besides by the time he is getting to first grade level, dearden and sos will have 2
years of first grade experience on him, we have paix in the background and probably some other person behind him, so i think we will be ok.

I get succession planning but i

In front of walker they have lam, lamb and some other bloke i cant recall the name of.

Based upon this generation of players who are not really willing to bide their contracts time into firstgrade, i think he could be poached if it looked like he would have greater opportunities elsewhere (and we were desperate).

Besides by the time he is getting to first grade level, dearden and sos will have 2
years of first grade experience on him, we have paix in the background and probably some other person behind him, so i think we will be ok.

I get succession planning but i
I would say the order for their halves is more like

Keary
Flannigan
Walker
Lam
Drew Hutchinson (may not be signed to next year though)
Lamb

So of that lot you'd think Lam would be a possible poaching target. Given he'll be in reserve grade, hasn't looked out of place in first grade and has decent potential as a junior. If I'm the tigers I'd be putting a call through to his manager as a 2020 Benji replacement.

I think Brock Lamb gets sent packing end of this year.

I like the look of Hutchinson, but that ACL he copped a few years back has put question marks on him.

Last edited:
Walker's contract with the Broncos finished this year, so how wasn't he in our system?
ISC but was under the impression he was a part of the Ipswich system that is no longer a part of our system.

Active Now

• Wolfie
  • Big Del
  • mitch222
  • Fitzy
  • Mister Wright
  • Broncosgirl
  • Santa
  • The True King
  • Jazza
  • Bucking Beads
  • thenry
  • Culhwch
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Wild Horse
  • bert_lifts
  • ChewThePhatt
  • LittleDavey
  • Brotherdu
  • Financeguy
  • Mr Fourex
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.