PLAYER Billy Walters

What role should Billy Walters play?

• Total voters
says the guy who's used it as much as anyone else
No……no I haven’t. Sure mods could bring up some stats on this if you want. Aren’t you the guy who got the dislike button removed?

HE IS THE BEST AVAILABLE FUCKING OPTION ****.

YOUR BOY IS FUCKING USELESS ... SO USELESS IN FACT THAT HE CAN'T FIND ANOTHER TEAM ANYWHERE. NO ONE WANTS HIM.

WHETHER SMOOTHY OVERTAKES BILLY IN THE PECKING ORDER DURING THE TRIALS ONLY TIME WILL TELL.
Why are you bringing up Turpin? I don’t want to link myself to McHunt but he hasn’t said anything but negative things about Turpin for ages as far as I’ve seen.

Why is Walters the best option? Do I have to post the 15 hookers who gave changed clubs since Kev has been coach again?

Why are you bringing up Turpin? I don’t want to link myself to McHunt but he hasn’t said anything but negative things about Turpin for ages as far as I’ve seen.

Why is Walters the best option? Do I have to post the 15 hookers who gave changed clubs since Kev has been coach again?

and you know for a fact that Ikin / Scanlon didn't speak to any of them

and if they didn't why didn't they?

and I'm pretty sure that 15 hookers (especially better that what we got from Billy this year) haven't changed clubs since Kev became coach ... happy to be proven wrong, so please list all 15

p.s. you know i meant the best option on our books, not the NRL FFS

No……no I haven’t. Sure mods could bring up some stats on this if you want. Aren’t you the guy who got the dislike button removed?

nope that would be the people who used the dislike button in a retaliatory fashion (although those were usually aimed at me)

p.s. you've used either the roll eye or yawn emoji on at least half my posts. I seem to upset you because I don't hold the BHQ approved opinion

nope that would be the people who used the dislike button in a retaliatory fashion (although those were usually aimed at me)

p.s. you've used either the roll eye or yawn emoji on at least half my posts. I seem to upset you because I don't hold the BHQ approved opinion
No, no I haven’t, you’re making stuff up now. What is the bhq approved opinion?

No, no I haven’t, you’re making stuff up now. What is the bhq approved opinion?

you can relax, i'm not going to go back through all my posts to prove that you use the specified emoji's on half of them. I can't be fucked doing that.

as for the BHQ approved opinion. you should know, because you hold it ... but if you really want me to tell you, then 🤔

well, let's just say that myself and a handful of others hold the opinion that the glass is half full, the approved opinion is pretty much the complete opposite of that

and you know for a fact that Ikin / Scanlon didn't speak to any of them

and if they didn't why didn't they?

According to Ikin, they had no plans to enter the market and weren't looking for a hooker, they wanted to give the guys at the club a chance to prove themselves.

I highly doubt they spoke to any of the hookers on the market, which was a mistake because it's very clear we need a hooker.

According to Ikin, they had no plans to enter the market and weren't looking for a hooker, they wanted to give the guys at the club a chance to prove themselves.

I highly doubt they spoke to any of the hookers on the market, which was a mistake because it's very clear we need a hooker.

I rarely believe those sort of absolute statements, so many times a statement like that has been made (doesn't matter which club) only for it to be shown to be incorrect shortly later.

those statements get made for few reasons

1. PR
2. to stop player managers from thinking that a club has a war chest that they can pillage
3. to give the players the confidence that management believe in them.

unless you have a hooker like Cam Smith, a fullback like James Tedesco, a halfback like Adam Reynolds, a clubs always (or at least should be) keeping one eye on the player market.

for example, Ikin said we weren't going to enter the market, then goes and signs Reece Walsh.

I rarely believe those sort of absolute statements, so many times a statement like that has been made (doesn't matter which club) only for it to be shown to be incorrect shortly later.

those statements get made for few reasons

1. PR
2. to stop player managers from thinking that a club has a war chest that they can pillage
3. to give the players the confidence that management believe in them.

unless you have a hooker like Cam Smith, a fullback like James Tedesco, a halfback like Adam Reynolds, a clubs always (or at least should be) keeping one eye on the player market.

for example, Ikin said we weren't going to enter the market, then goes and signs Reece Walsh.

Reece Walsh came to us. We didn't go to him. He was pretty much handed to us on a silver platter. There is a difference. Plus he said this at the end of 2021. He gave the players a chance to prove themselves and recognized we needed a fullback but by that time the hookers were all signed up.

But when it comes to actively going on the market for a hooker, everything I'm seeing says they didn't talk to anyone.

Let's look at the market. The following dummy halves ended up leaving their club:

Api Koroisau
Reed Mahoney
Brandon Smith
Josh Hodgson
Sam Verrills
Jeremy Marshall-King
Jacob Liddle
Harrison Graham

I'm not sure about you guys, but I can accept the Broncos were never in the race for the Top 3. Smith was supposedly offered more money from his very own club and still chose to go to the Roosters. The Tigers exploited their link with Maguire to lure Koroisau on big coin. Similarly, Reed Mahoney came through the Bulldogs junior development system and the Bulldogs were willing to spend big money to push their 'Penrith 2.0' they've got going.

The rest were all available.

Now there are a few caveats. In some cases, the Broncos may not have been able to afford them and may have required Selwyn Cobbo's salary to sign them. However when this conversation inevitably comes up next season that should be kept in mind.

As far as the Broncos dummy half situation goes it's been an issue since 2017. The Broncos re-signed McCullough to a long term deal under the impression he was getting better with age. Then he suffered injury setback after injury setback and became a shadow of himself. Seibold couldn't wait to move him on and was in for a rude awakening when Turpin couldn't keep fit forcing him to sign Issac Luke as a stopgap.

The plan around that time was to develop Paix as a 9, with a view that him and Dearden would have a Smith-Cronk combination. However Paix never showed any aptitude for the position, it was just a case of a good junior being pigeonholed into a position. Then COVID absolutely messed with his development and he's really struggled to live up to expectations. I think he showed signs, but outside of the Bulldogs game where he made a big impact I can't recall any starring performances. Then he got injured against the Raiders in the last play of the game and struggled with it ever since.

It's worth noting that Paix finished the year in the rehab group with a knee brace on, so it's fair to say he wasn't available for the Dragons clash.

As it currently stands, the 9 position is open. Walters will likely find himself at 14, but I think the club is keeping it open until Mozer is ready to step up and he's considered the long term prospect. The Broncos have a much bigger rap on him than I do. I agree that he's one of the best dummy halves coming through and I think he has an aptitude for the position but I don't think he's this generational talent like Ponga, Cleary or Latrell.

Let's look at the market. The following dummy halves ended up leaving their club:

Api Koroisau
Reed Mahoney
Brandon Smith
Josh Hodgson
Sam Verrills
Jeremy Marshall-King
Jacob Liddle
Harrison Graham

I'm not sure about you guys, but I can accept the Broncos were never in the race for the Top 3. Smith was supposedly offered more money from his very own club and still chose to go to the Roosters. The Tigers exploited their link with Maguire to lure Koroisau on big coin. Similarly, Reed Mahoney came through the Bulldogs junior development system and the Bulldogs were willing to spend big money to push their 'Penrith 2.0' they've got going.

The rest were all available.

Now there are a few caveats. In some cases, the Broncos may not have been able to afford them and may have required Selwyn Cobbo's salary to sign them. However when this conversation inevitably comes up next season that should be kept in mind.

As far as the Broncos dummy half situation goes it's been an issue since 2017. The Broncos re-signed McCullough to a long term deal under the impression he was getting better with age. Then he suffered injury setback after injury setback and became a shadow of himself. Seibold couldn't wait to move him on and was in for a rude awakening when Turpin couldn't keep fit forcing him to sign Issac Luke as a stopgap.

The plan around that time was to develop Paix as a 9, with a view that him and Dearden would have a Smith-Cronk combination. However Paix never showed any aptitude for the position, it was just a case of a good junior being pigeonholed into a position. Then COVID absolutely messed with his development and he's really struggled to live up to expectations. I think he showed signs, but outside of the Bulldogs game where he made a big impact I can't recall any starring performances. Then he got injured against the Raiders in the last play of the game and struggled with it ever since.

It's worth noting that Paix finished the year in the rehab group with a knee brace on, so it's fair to say he wasn't available for the Dragons clash.

As it currently stands, the 9 position is open. Walters will likely find himself at 14, but I think the club is keeping it open until Mozer is ready to step up and he's considered the long term prospect. The Broncos have a much bigger rap on him than I do. I agree that he's one of the best dummy halves coming through and I think he has an aptitude for the position but I don't think he's this generational talent like Ponga, Cleary or Latrell.

well summed up.

p.s. i don't count 15 there 😝

of the ones in that list that may have been available to us:

Josh Hodgson - is on the wrong side of 30 and has been injury prone for 2 years (wasn't there also a rumour about us trying to get him last year, just never eventuated)

Harrison Graham - didn't we have him on our books, but he left to go to the The (not sure the reason for that

out of Verrills, JMK and Liddle ... Verrills is the only one I would have considered, would be interested to know if we talked to him or not

well summed up.

p.s. i don't count 15 there 😝

of the ones in that list that may have been available to us:

Josh Hodgson - is on the wrong side of 30 and has been injury prone for 2 years (wasn't there also a rumour about us trying to get him last year, just never eventuated)

Harrison Graham - didn't we have him on our books, but he left to go to the The (not sure the reason for that

out of Verrills, JMK and Liddle ... Verrills is the only one I would have considered, would be interested to know if we talked to him or not
To be fair, theshed did say since Kevie took over, so since 21. I just chose this off-season since it's the first one where Donaghy/Ikin were available and Reynolds was clearly the priority signing of 21.

Graham was on a train and trial but the Dolphins announced him on a development deal. I believe he had a serious injury set-back towards the end of the year so he may not see that much football in '23. If he kills it in '24 though.

Here's a list of dummy halves there were available for 2022.

Josh Cook
Jayden Berrell
Aaron Booth
Tyran Wishart
Temple Kalepo
Brendan Hands
Mitch Rein
Moses Mbye
Connor Watson

And a few dummy half into backrow converts:
Cameron McInness
Karl Lawton
Siliva Havili

You'd have to say Connor is the only full-time hooker who had a better season than Billy. Even then, he pulled a Brandon Smith to go to the Roosters...

Would be hard to imagine walters being on much more than min wage to turn him into king or verrills would have been pushing the cap you would think liddle im not to sure on what he may have signed for.
If walters is with us next year id expect impovement i dont think players coming back from ACL injuries are 100% for a bit after it happens.

I get there is angst and anxiety around Walters being in the squad due to his dad being the coach, but let's be real here, if Walters wasn't his last name there's no way anyone on this forum would be saying he didn't do his job and justify his place as a 1-2 year hooker/14 stop gap.
What needs to be decided, and none of us on here will know, will be whether having him in the squad is good for team dynamics and whether he will impede a young (mozer) or better hooker being in the 17 or our squad. That's a judgement ikin needs to make tbh, he needs to take it out of Walters hands.
There's no doubt paix, and likely smoothy, are better hookers than Walters but billy deserved his spot this year. If kevvie has had a tough chat with his son (eg. Don't expect as many games this year) then I'm all for him bcos he's a very handy squad player, very handy. But again, just like gamble, he isn't worth destroying team harmony and dynamics for, as well as altering team selections for.

Well Billy played more minutes at hooker than anyone else in the team this year. So if he is re-signed it will be "his position to lose". (I hope I'm wrong)

To be fair, theshed did say since Kevie took over, so since 21. I just chose this off-season since it's the first one where Donaghy/Ikin were available and Reynolds was clearly the priority signing of 21.

Graham was on a train and trial but the Dolphins announced him on a development deal. I believe he had a serious injury set-back towards the end of the year so he may not see that much football in '23. If he kills it in '24 though.

Here's a list of dummy halves there were available for 2022.

Josh Cook
Jayden Berrell
Aaron Booth
Tyran Wishart
Temple Kalepo
Brendan Hands
Mitch Rein
Moses Mbye
Connor Watson

And a few dummy half into backrow converts:
Cameron McInness
Karl Lawton
Siliva Havili

You'd have to say Connor is the only full-time hooker who had a better season than Billy. Even then, he pulled a Brandon Smith to go to the Roosters...

Graham wasn't ACL, he will be back for pre-season- it's already been seven weeks.

Active Now

• Hoof Hearted
  • Financeguy
  • Hurrijo
  • Old Mate
  • Bucking Beads
  • Wolfie
  • Broncosgirl
  • FaceOfMutiny
  • Dash
  • broncos4life
  • Bongo
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Foordy
  • Strop
  • Broncorob
  • Sproj
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.