What are your cooked NRL ideas?

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Post all your questionable or controversial poorly thought out NRL ideas.

- Sunday morning game time slot. How good would it be to watch a game of footy at 10am on Sunday morning

- Kick offs that go out on the full should only result in a tap at halfway and not a kick for touch or shot at goal.

- The 18th man should be available to use as a 5th sub during any game with the caveat that they can only replace an outside back (1,2,3,4 or 5). Though I could see Bellamy naming NAS at centre and Olam at 12 just to take advantage so that would need to be accounted for.

- if a player is unable to get up and play the ball due to being hurt, they should have to stand on the sideline for 3 minutes to be properly assessed to ensure their safety and well-being (aka stop taking dives)

- penalty goals should be worth 1 point unless they are beyond the 40m line, same as field goals

- if you hit an upright off a kick off you earn an additional captains challenge but only if you have already lost your original challenge

Point 2 is good, I'm probably a little biased as I'm extremely scarred from isaako consistently kicking it on the full. It just seems to drastic a punishment

After 30 minutes you should be allowed to swap your 18th man with anyone on the field. That swapped player then becomes the new 18th man. This will allow coaches to hook players who are off form or alternatively start your rookie and swap him with your 18th man after 30 to allow them to get a taste of NRL.

I'd also like to see players who are laying down trying to milk the penalty be made to stand on the sideline for two minutes and be checked by an independent doctor - no replacement allowed!

combined ESL/NRL comp and a longer season

Add a 18th team in Brisbane and develop a conference system where we can have some sort of evenness with the schedule.

Also, in case of golden point, give the losing team 1 point eg. NHL. Cut the interchanges to six. Abolish the Captain's Challenge Rule.

A short kick off or drop out can be touched by the receiving team regardless of how far it’s travelled. Would shift the balance back towards the team that’s earned the restart by increasing the stakes of getting wrong. Don’t penalise the kicking team if it’s touched before it goes 10m but the receiving team could attack the ball or catch it without contest if the kicking team gets it wrong.

- Kick offs that go out on the full should only result in a tap at halfway and not a kick for touch or shot at goal.

Nah, just make it a seven tackle set from the twenty I reckon.

Add a 18th team in Brisbane and develop a conference system where we can have some sort of evenness with the schedule.

Yes! I've said this for ages. If an eighteenth team is added you could split them into three conferences of six teams. You play everyone once, and the teams in your conference twice, for a twenty-two game season stretched out with complete breaks for Origin/rep games in the middle. The conferences could be set along rivalry lines or they could be seeded from the previous season.

Abolish the Captain's Challenge Rule.

I actually like the captains challenge, but I think the ten second rule is stupid - you should have until the restart of play. Also have one available each half.

I was thinking that as well, but I think you run the potential of turning it into NFL style where teams will kick it dead on purpose and concede the 20m... not sure if there's enough of a deterrent to pushing the limits as much as possible and only having to worry about a 20m tap.

Teams getting a 7 tackle set should be enough of an advantage to stop it, but feel like there's some sort of tactical advantage to it that would be worked out and become the meta.

It might just be that kickers can put more pressure on the receiving team by aiming it for the back corners, etc. Is that a good thing or a bad thing?? I'm not sure...

NFL have lost kick returns from their game, which used to be a super exciting component of their game, but is now rarity

Seven tackle sets. **** them off. Worst rule in the book.

I wouldn't get rid of them entirely ... but i would alter the rule.

If the ball is kicked from outside the 40m line and goes dead = 7 tackle set, restart from 20m

field go attempts or ball kicked from inside the 40m line = 6 tackle set, restart from the 20m line

Post all your questionable or controversial poorly thought out NRL ideas.

- Sunday morning game time slot. How good would it be to watch a game of footy at 10am on Sunday morning

- The 18th man should be available to use as a 5th sub during any game with the caveat that they can only replace an outside back (1,2,3,4 or 5). Though I could see Bellamy naming NAS at centre and Olam at 12 just to take advantage so that would need to be accounted for.

- if a player is unable to get up and play the ball due to being hurt, they should have to stand on the sideline for 3 minutes to be properly assessed to ensure their safety and well-being (aka stop taking dives)

- penalty goals should be worth 1 point unless they are beyond the 40m line, same as field goals

- if you hit an upright off a kick off you earn an additional captains challenge but only if you have already lost your original challenge

That last one is fantastic. The penalty goals being worth only 1 point is actually pretty interesting, it would certainly put a new spin on things.
After 30 minutes you should be allowed to swap your 18th man with anyone on the field. That swapped player then becomes the new 18th man. This will allow coaches to hook players who are off form or alternatively start your rookie and swap him with your 18th man after 30 to allow them to get a taste of NRL.

I'd also like to see players who are laying down trying to milk the penalty be made to stand on the sideline for two minutes and be checked by an independent doctor - no replacement allowed!

I dig it.

I wouldn't get rid of them entirely ... but i would alter the rule.

If the ball is kicked from outside the 40m line and goes dead = 7 tackle set, restart from 20m

field go attempts or ball kicked from inside the 40m line = 6 tackle set, restart from the 20m line

I think most people, even commentators have been calling for this since its introduction. Makes far too much sense.

Change the rule when a kick off goes out on the full IMO. I've never understood why it's a penalty. Give the other team a tap on half way...make it a 7 tackle set even.

Yes! I've said this for ages. If an eighteenth team is added you could split them into three conferences of six teams. You play everyone once, and the teams in your conference twice, for a twenty-two game season stretched out with complete breaks for Origin/rep games in the middle. The conferences could be set along rivalry lines or they could be seeded from the previous season.

I actually like the captains challenge, but I think the ten second rule is stupid - you should have until the restart of play. Also have one available each half.
The issue with allowing the long for a captains challenge is it means they can’t show a replay of any incident or the players will see it on the screen

The issue with allowing the long for a captains challenge is it means they can’t show a replay of any incident or the players will see it on the screen

Is that a bad thing? If they see it's fruitless they don't challenge and the game carries on, and we avoid a stoppage. If they see it could have been a bad call they challenge and the call is corrected. The issue could be time wasting waiting for a replay of course....

7 tackle sets should only be awarded to kicks from outside the 30 & should never be awarded for knock-ons in goal.

If a player is making a genuine attempt at a tackle and touches the ball after a player passes the ball it should not be called as ‘played at’.

Penalty kicks should be worth 3 points

Active Now

• Sanjit Joseph
  • Mr Fourex
  • MrMoore
  • Bucking Beads
  • Broncosgirl
  • Jazza
  • Mister Wright
  • bert_lifts
  • RolledOates
  • winslow_wong
  • ChewThePhatt
  • LittleDavey
  • GCBRONCO
  • The True King
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Aldo
  • broncotville
  • Old Mate
  • the_next
  • BruiserMk1
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.