What is happening at the Broncos?

NRL Captain
Contributor
Sep 22, 2016
We should not be worried about Bird. He will be worth his money by back end of season.

We should however be worried about leadership and halves ( i wont expand on kodi). We have Gillet, Bird, Macca, Milf and Boyd - who are potentially the most mature of the group, yet we are flat and in a horrible rut. Something is not right in personality dynamics department and i think that Sammi carrying on like hes apart of cirque de solei is not helping. These guys are probably the most serious, and potentially the most focused of the team, but its not washing off onto other players.

No idea how wayne is dealing with what is happening on the field :/ if i was the coach or one of the players in the shed and heard Sammis interview after the game, i would be dirty to the point i wouldn't want to play next to the guy....Nor would i be motivated with a coach who lets it happen.

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
We should not be worried about Bird. He will be worth his money by back end of season.

We should however be worried about leadership and halves ( i wont expand on kodi). We have Gillet, Bird, Macca, Milf and Boyd - who are potentially the most mature of the group, yet we are flat and in a horrible rut. Something is not right in personality dynamics department and i think that Sammi carrying on like hes apart of cirque de solei is not helping. These guys are probably the most serious, and potentially the most focused of the team, but its not washing off onto other players.

No idea how wayne is dealing with what is happening on the field :/ if i was the coach or one of the players in the shed and heard Sammis interview after the game, i would be dirty to the point i wouldn't want to play next to the guy....Nor would i be motivated with a coach who lets it happen.

Wayne should not have said Thaiday will be safe regardless of how he performs. Thaiday would definitely take the piss hearing that and obviously feels like he deserves it because he had a good season 6 years ago. In reality he should have been given the same treatment as origin last year. Perform or perish.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
I think Thaiday's comment is and was taken way way out of context. He didn't say winning wasn't important ,I'm sure he was meaning that improving every week was. Winning takes care of itself with weekly improvement. I believe he is totally correct, I just think people are not hearing nuance because they are angry. Brandy Alexander is a prime example of speaking without thinking things through.

B

Broncs_Fan

NRL Player
Jun 5, 2015
Bird is coming in off surgery and spending summer at a buffet...

Bit early to write him off.

I agree he'll come good. But how unprofessional was it not to watch his weight whilst he was injured. And joking about it is indicates he is not that bright.

roo-ted

roo-ted

NRL Player
Oct 8, 2017
Wayne should not have said Thaiday will be safe regardless of how he performs. Thaiday would definitely take the piss hearing that and obviously feels like he deserves it because he had a good season 6 years ago. In reality he should have been given the same treatment as origin last year. Perform or perish.
Hit the nail on the head

mrslong

mrslong

International Rep
Mar 25, 2008
The thing I can’t get my head around is how can Hodgo and Cozza get the tap on the shoulder when they were still playing bloody good footy and not Sammy? I’m not saying it was the wrong decision to let those guys go, but this is definitely damaging Sammy’s reputation.

Strop

Strop

NRL Player
Contributor
Feb 28, 2015
The thing I can’t get my head around is how can Hodgo and Cozza get the tap on the shoulder when they were still playing bloody good footy and not Sammy? I’m not saying it was the wrong decision to let those guys go, but this is definitely damaging Sammy’s reputation.

I don't think anyone was more surprised than Parker was, going by his press conference.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
I think Thaiday's comment is and was taken way way out of context. He didn't say winning wasn't important ,I'm sure he was meaning that improving every week was. Winning takes care of itself with weekly improvement. I believe he is totally correct, I just think people are not hearing nuance because they are angry. Brandy Alexander is a prime example of speaking without thinking things through.

This.

I also think people need to look a bit harder as to why Bennett is saying these things. Milford and Kodi are confidence players. If anyone thinks they're not already under immense pressure then they're dreaming. What good would it be for them if Bennett publicly said that they've got X games before they're cut? Publicly backing them gives them the confidence and the patience to work on their games, not just go out there and throw hail-mary passes and stupid low-percentage stuff in the hope of something coming off and maybe saving their own arses. Once again, Bennett is taking on the criticism himself in order to protect his players.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
Not fucking wrong there. Worlds most expensive centre. I wonder if he tucks them into bed at night and tells them they are special

How many times does it need to be stated that he is not on a million dollars!!

K

Kyall

NRL Player
Oct 4, 2016
I really don’t understand why we had to pay so much for Boyd when he wouldn’t even get any offers from another club. Roosters would never of made that mistake and that’s why they can afford their squad.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
I'm pretty sure the fact that Sammy is retiring at the end of the year is the tap. He had signed a contract extension at the end of 2015 (when he was in decent form) and then early 2016 decided to hang up the boots after losing his starting spot, origin spot and relegated to a bit part player off the bench... tap tap

It's up to Sammy to pull the pin early now. He's only a bit part player at the moment so the damage is self inflicted

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
There is a article on nrl.com about how certain teams (titans , warriors, dragons) are having there halves play on the same side of the feild. Like they say in the article it creates more for the players around them .

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
I think you're doing the same thing The broncos coaching and recruitment staff do. You're basing this on everyone at their peak...
Yes, correct. It's the only way to evaluate players individual quality, because form is temporary, unless you're at the end of your career.

You're judging them on current form, and my view is that their performance level at the moment, is not due to their lack of quality, or being over the hill. With the exception of Thaiday and perhaps Boyd, none of the players you mention fall under that category.

We're simply not even close to getting the best out of our players, positionally, skills and attitude wise, and that is primarily a coaching and leadership issue.
The biggest problem is not whether the coach can do it, because he has the runs on the board to prove he can. The problem is he doesn't seem willing to... whether it's because of ego, favouritism, stubbornness, a combination of those, or something else, is very much the question.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
It's amazing that we are paying 1 million for a centre (atm) some halves struggle to demand 1 million a year ffs

we are not paying 1 million for a center ...

the initial report was 750k (reported in a tweet).

not depending on the article, his contract is worth anywhere from 750k a season to 1.2 million

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
There is a article on nrl.com about how certain teams (titans , warriors, dragons) are having there halves play on the same side of the feild. Like they say in the article it creates more for the players around them .

Seems so basic and logical. It's been common practice since under 7s. When and why did this ever stop in the first place...

Active Now

• marw
  • Galco
  • Morepudding
  • Fatboy
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • RolledOates
  • Manofoneway
  • levikaden
  • Turks85
  • Seibs
  • MrTickyMcG
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.