Where does Benji Marshall fit in?

Surely you cannot be serious?

He's got more playmaking ability than what Hodges has shown at fullback, a bit of a step and probably a bit more speed.

Yeah, I'm serious.

Personally can't see it happening.

I think he would do pretty well in attack, but it is his defence that I am worried about.

Roberts, and Kahu to a lesser extent, aren't too crash hot in defence either, but we managed to cover him perfectly fine. I like the idea of having another kicking option somewhere in the side.

He's got more playmaking ability than what Hodges has shown at fullback, a bit of a step and probably a bit more speed.

Yeah, I'm serious.

Hodgo would have him for strength and also accounted for 100m a game coming out of our end. I'd also class Hodgo's step as more effective than the benji/khunt step when talking about centers

So a bloke can't improve his defense over the off season working with a better Coach? Roberts did. While he had a couple of poor games last year, that was more down to off-field issues rather than technique/ attitude.

Benji will be out to prove himself and not let his new team and coach down.

A good preseason can help a lot. Now he has a simple job. Not a complex organisational role which isn't his style. Who was the last player everyone bagged bennett for signing cause he was a numfty but bennett told him to "play simple" and "play your style of footy"... that's right.. Adam Blair

Oates has to move to the forwards in order to fit Benji in the centres.

1. Boyd
2. Mead
3. Marshall
4. Roberts
5. Kahu
6. Milford
7. Hunt
8. McGuire
9. McCullough
10. Blair
11. Oates
12. Gillett
13. Thaiday
-----------------
14. Nikorima
15. Glenn
16. Dodds
17. Pangai Jnr

I'm on the fence in regards to Benji at centre, but if he can improve his defence I am all for it. As many have said he would be an extra kicking option, and a good one, which would help the team overall.

I can't find a place for Benji at center.

Personally i want Kahu to be given an extended run at left center, i believe he will excel in the position.

I also want to see Oates retained on the wing, his favoured position may be backrow, but he is an outstanding winger and easily our best. He just needs some work under the high ball.

I would have Mead and Pearson fight it out for the remaining wing spot during the trials with the best performer given the nod for round 1.

So, i would go with this backline to start 2017.

1. Boyd (c)
2. Oates
3. Kahu
4. Roberts
5. Mead/Pearson
6. Milford
7. Hunt.

Last edited:
The side looks fairly good to me, but I can't see Bennett moving oats from the wing.
No I highly doubt he will ever move Oats from the wing, considering Oats doesn't play for the Broncos, nor any NRL side as far as I know.
He might move Oates though

I can't find a place for Benji at center.

Personally i want Kahu to be given an extended run at left center, i believe he will excel in the position.

I also want to see Oates retained on the wing, his favoured position may be backrow, but he is an outstanding winger and easily our best. He just needs some work under the high ball.

I would have Mead and Pearson fight it out for the remaining wing spot during the trials with the best performer given the nod for round 1.

So, i would go with this backline to start 2017.

1. Boyd (c)
2. Oates
3. Kahu
4. Roberts
5. Mead/Pearson
6. Milford
7. Hunt.

That is a good looking backline.

There is no question that Mead, Kahu, Roberts, Oates are going to be playing in the backline. But, if what Alex Glenn is saying is true then Benji Marshall will force one of them out and the obvious choice is Oates to the forwards. I'm keen to see how it works out but I really don't like the thought of Benji and Milford defending on the same edge. They need some decent protection.

Last edited:
There is no question that Mead, Kahu, Roberts, Oates are going to be playing in the backline. But, if what Alex Glenn is saying is true then Benji Marshall will force one of them out and the obvious choice is Oates to the forwards. I'm keen to see how it works out but I really don't like the thought of Benji and Milford defending on the same edge. They need some decent protection.
I don't think Oates is the obvious choice at all.

Active Now

• Foordy
  • Xzei
  • NSW stables
  • Kev_Guz
  • Santa
  • bert_lifts
  • Johnny92
  • Skathen
  • ezpz
  • winslow_wong
  • Sproj
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.