Where does the club go to from here...?

I wouldn't go after Friend ... but i'd love Hodgson, i think he is the second best hooker in the comp (behind Smith)
I would so take Friend for a couple of years. We really need some experience / leaders in this team and I think he'd be perfect. Someone who is a winner, and could lead the boys on. I don't actually think he's an outstanding player but we need someone in the spine who is a veteran and isn't a choker.

Hodgson is awesome but he's unfortunately signed until 2022, and I reckon there's less than 0 chance Raiders release him.

If Smith decides to play on next year, Brandon Smith/Harry Grant apparently go on the market all of a sudden, I'd love to make a play for either of them too.

Mahoney/Friend are currently off contract.

So being realistic, the only options that are actually available are Mahoney/Friend, with a small chance of Smith/Grant becoming available. The Roosters can cover the loss of Friend so I reckon they wouldn't fight too hard. Mahoney might need huge money, I wouldn't pay top dollar but I'd give pretty good money for a 2 year contract.

I would take any one of those 4 over Turpin.

Last edited:
I’d trade Milf and Bird for Hodgeson in a heart beat. I’d chuck in an Oates, Boyd, and Offa if they wanted too.
I would too but would the Raiders take the bait?

The way milf playing I would bench him and he can cover the 9

So being realistic, the only options that are actually available are Mahoney/Friend, with a small chance of Smith/Grant becoming available. The Roosters can cover the loss of Friend so I reckon they wouldn't fight too hard. Mahoney might need huge money, I wouldn't pay top dollar but I'd give pretty good money for a 2 year contract.
IIRC Mahoney has said he absolutely hates the Broncos so I wouldn't be holding out too much hope for him.

IIRC Mahoney has said he absolutely hates the Broncos so I wouldn't be holding out too much hope for him.
I'd fall in love with Melbourne for a half million salary though so you never know 😛

Where to from now?

I would look into this one area: Player contracts, specifically the player options. Who is responsible for the negotiations at this club? I would fix that asap, restore the scenario where the club is the powerful side of negotiations first and last.

The player options is a crazy system which benefits the players, exclusively it seems. They are just another version of back-ending contracts and salting the earth, sacrificing long term success for short term gain.

Who is responsible for this? Player managers with too much control? Coaches and clubs who know what they are doing but go ahead anyway? Player options without the ability of the club to lower wages to market value or below are insane.

I’ve said for years we need Jake friend. He’s won premierships, he’s a fantastic player. He can do what Cronk did for the broncos. A local boy too. Mahoney would be fantastic too, but we still need that old head In the spine.

The only Dummy Half that is elite level talented or 'potentially' elite level talented that we're even a remote chance of getting a crack at (along with half the clubs in the NRL mind you) is Harry Grant if Cam Smith plays on in 2021.

Turps needs time to develop further and show his skills in a settled team. I don't think he is a problem for us.

For mine, a real problem is the club's apparent failure to have a competent back-up hooker, or someone with the skills and experience to take on that role especially after the release of Macca

Turps needs time to develop further and show his skills in a settled team. I don't think he is a problem for us.

For mine, a real problem is the club's apparent failure to have a competent back-up hooker, or someone with the skills and experience to take on that role especially after the release of Macca
To be fair, Paix was the work in progress answer to that and if he'd been playing Queensland Cup in that role under normal circumstances this season things would have been different.

That said, Turpin isn't by any means our biggest issue, but Dummy Half is easily the most critical position on the field now and it's no secret that the elite teams all have elite standard Dummy Halves. Turpin is handy but I don't know if he'll be enough to take us to that next level long term.

To be fair, Paix was the work in progress answer to that and if he'd been playing Queensland Cup in that role under normal circumstances this season things would have been different.

That said, Turpin isn't by any means our biggest issue, but Dummy Half is easily the most critical position on the field now and it's no secret that the elite teams all have elite standard Dummy Halves. Turpin is handy but I don't know if he'll be enough to take us to that next level long term.

Points taken.

Nevertheless, in my view, Turps needs time to develop, especially given our new spine.

As I see it, there are 2 connected or integrated elements to a good spine: individual skills but more so, the "working relationship" of all 4 players in action, between all 4 players in driving the game plan, individually and as a unit. Each takes time to develop. And having said that, the game plan is central to any spine doing a good job. At the moment, I don't really know what our game plan is. I hope Seibold does.

Croft is new, Isaako is relatively new as is Turps as hooker, and for mine that means it is way too early to judge their individual contributions to, and our spine as a unit.

If you put Hodgson into our side as it is now I somehow doubt all that much would change other than what he would contribute based as a highly talented individual.

We need to wait until the side is all there and has played a good number of games working together.

I always like Sam Verrills, but he's in the same position this year that Turps was last year...and being groomed to take Friends position I cant see him being a realistic option.

Brandon Smith is intriguing; id wager he'd want assurances of being the clubs top hooker and play 80 mins or something close before signing. That would be a difficult negotiation hurdle to overcome. Plus ive not actually seen him play a extended run at the 9, so there's a element of risk just laying the red carpet for those type of demands if asked...

We could take the unconventional route and refuse to sign anyone who is represented by someone with a last name beginning with a M. Isn't he the one who got all these players options that are killing us in the recruitment and retention of better talent? Its nice that you can change agents when your current contract is up, just saying.

I’ve said for years we need Jake friend. He’s won premierships, he’s a fantastic player. He can do what Cronk did for the broncos. A local boy too. Mahoney would be fantastic too, but we still need that old head In the spine.

I’ve never rated Friend.

He’s just that guy for me

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • Bucking Beads
  • TimWhatley
  • Bronco bob
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Sproj
  • phoenix
  • Broncosgirl
  • ozzball
  • bazza
  • mitch222
  • Bongo
  • thenry
  • barker
  • Maroon4life
  • Wolfie
  • Skathen
  • Culhwch
  • Fozz
  • kiwibronco
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.