Where to From Here? Let's Plan for 2021

B

bazza

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2013
Are you really asking if a hypothetical Conditioning Coach candidate would take a hypothetical job offer from a guy who only hypothetically has a Head Coaching role at the club and honestly expecting someone to answer with any degree of certainty?
I was looking to see if 1910 knew more about Corvo and his career choices. Maybe Corvo has publicly made it clear he never wants another job in the NRL and wants to be a high school teacher for good. That would all but rule out him as a candidate immediately.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
View attachment 9575View attachment 9576
At what point does this woman come under fire? Our recruitment has been pretty poor for at least 14 years. Why do we not speak of our salary cap manager who earns nearly $200k?
Because she's just the numbers person... her involvement in the actual decision to sign or re-sign a player is along the lines of "Hey Lou... we got $1m in the cap for Milf?"
"Yes"
"Cool let's sign him up then"

She's not there to provide a breakdown on Milford's abilities on the field

Last edited:
rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Head Coach: Kevin Walters
Assistant Coach: Michael Hagan and Todd Payten
Defensive Coach: Stephen Kearney
Defensive Consultant: Peter Ryan
Strength and Conditioning: Alex Corvo
Forwards Coach: Corey Parker
Backs Coach: Justin Hodges
Halves Coach: Darren Lockyer and Alan Langer
Broncos Leadership and Culture Consultants: Shane Webcke and Petero Civoniceva
On field Coach: Cameron Smith

Need some pretty big chook raffles to afford that lot

B

bazza

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2013
Need some pretty big chook raffles to afford that lot
Hahaha yeah. Though maybe some of the old boys won't demand a lot of money to help the club fix the mess.

How does payment of the coaching staff work in the NRL? Does it contribute to the salary cap?

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Hahaha yeah. Though maybe some of the old boys won't demand a lot of money to help the club fix the mess.

How does payment of the coaching staff work in the NRL? Does it contribute to the salary cap?

there is a football department cap that covers the coaches (plus some other spending i think). I don't know what the cap amount is though ... if you spend over the cap you have to give the NRL money (i think the tax is 33% for every dollar spent over the cap)

B

bazza

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2013
there is a football department cap that covers the coaches (plus some other spending i think). I don't know what the cap amount is though ... if you spend over the cap you have to give the NRL money (i think the tax is 33% for every dollar spent over the cap)
So in theory, every team in the NRL would have a coaching staff that costs about the same?

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008

I understand there is a separate cap for coaching staff - as @Foordy just posted before I got the chance above

Last edited:
rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Yeah our defense in 2015 was disgraceful, it would be awful to have that again.

I think the context of your post is what's really important in that one of Seibold's biggest failures was to not appoint a full time defensive coach with runs on the board, particularly given the specific demands on defence given the 6 Again Rule. Seibold admitted to not adapting to that yet did nothing about it

Last edited:
S

Shane Tronc

QCup Player
Apr 7, 2018
Head Coach: Kevin Walters
Assistant Coach: Michael Hagan and Todd Payten
Defensive Coach: Stephen Kearney
Defensive Consultant: Peter Ryan
Strength and Conditioning: Alex Corvo
Forwards Coach: Corey Parker
Backs Coach: Justin Hodges
Halves Coach: Darren Lockyer and Alan Langer
Broncos Leadership and Culture Consultants: Shane Webcke and Petero Civoniceva
On field Coach: Cameron Smith
Big yes to everything except Payten. Has head coach ambitions and could see him whiteanting the head coach

Kooly87

Kooly87

NRL Captain
Jun 2, 2017
@bazza the Cap for operational staff was $5.7 million a season when introduced, with an agreement to increase by 4% over three years to allow for CPI increases in wages. This last part may well be subject to change if it hasn't already with everything going on COVID wise this season.

B

bazza

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2013
Big yes to everything except Payten. Has head coach ambitions and could see him whiteanting the head coach
I guess that could be a possibility. I don't think he is quite ready for a full time head coaching role yet, though he has handled the situation at the Warriors pretty damn well. He has kept the roster happy, united and commited in very testing times. We could do with a bit of that.

Kooly87

Kooly87

NRL Captain
Jun 2, 2017
I guess that could be a possibility. I don't think he is quite ready for a full time head coaching role yet, though he has handled the situation at the Warriors pretty damn well. He has kept the roster happy, united and commited in very testing times. We could do with a bit of that.
I think you'll find that work with the Warriors all but guarantees a club out there will want to snap up his services in a Head Coaching role shortly.

B

bazza

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2013
I think you'll find that work with the Warriors all but guarantees a club out there will want to snap up his services in a Head Coaching role shortly.
Yeah, definitely. He has links to the Cowboys, so they seem like a logical fit. Though if I were him, I'd be very careful with what I do. Its very much a possibility he isn't quite ready, and it hurts his coaching career. I'd rather be an assistant coach a year too long, than be a head coach a year too early.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
I was looking to see if 1910 knew more about Corvo and his career choices. Maybe Corvo has publicly made it clear he never wants another job in the NRL and wants to be a high school teacher for good. That would all but rule out him as a candidate immediately.

No one WANTS to be a high school teacher.

Unread

Active Now

• bert_lifts
  • Dash
  • Browny
  • Wolfie
  • Mr Fourex
  • Fozz
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • ezpz
  • Jazza
  • Harry Sack
  • Santa
  • Alec
  • phoenix
  • Aldo
  • Manofoneway
  • lynx000
  • Galah
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Bucking Beads
  • Waynesaurus
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.