where will barba play??

L

lukepl13

Oct 8, 2014
Ben barbas dally m season revolved around a few things, agility skill and most of all in my opinion acceleration, two of those i believe where greatly diminished by his ankle injury, the third, skill, diminished by the confidence he lost from losing the first two. I dont believe he will ever play how he played that year again, but i do think he can still be a fantastic player. I hope he improves his defense and they play him as a replacement for andrew McCullough off the bench.

The fact Barba had his personal demons, had just moved to a new city, a new team, his ankle injuries (remember that in pre season training he wasn't able to do the same drills as the rest of the team, instead spent a lot of time on his own) and Griffins weight tactics all corroded his confidence and therefore his form dropped. Things that used to work for him no longer did. He had lost agility, speed and footwork and had no confidence in his ability.

For me, Barba's at his best when he runs first, passes second. This year, with his issues and due to our lack of a five-eighth options, he was forced to pass first, run second. That coupled with all the other dramas and issues crippled his best form.

Barba is at his most dangerous when he has space between himself and his opposition, something the Bulldogs built their gameplan around, while we didn't. The Dogs always stood deep and were able to supply him quick, early ball, with plenty of space between Barba and the opposition defence, which gave him the time and space to single-handedly destroy oppositions with agility, footwork and speed.

On the other hand, at the Broncos, I can't recall many times, if at all we were able to set a deep attacking formation to get Barba into space. Not once could we provide Barba the time and space to weave his magic. Instead we tried to turn him into a ballplayer.

I also don't like the idea of Barba playing hooker. I think that'll take away from his running game. Barba's better when others create space for him, rather than him creating space for them.

Ideally, since he'll most likely start from the Bench, I'd like him to come on and play some fullback in attack. That way he'll regain his confidence and produce some magic. If he regains form I'd prefer if he got starting fullback with Boyd to shift out to the centres or wing. But that probably won't happen...

I'm not at all unhappy with Barba at hooker, in fact I've called for it before. I know McCullough has his fans and rightfully so but really, he is not in the elite class at this time. I'm not saying he couldn't be but just not now. Milford at 5/8, Hunt at half with Barba who could very well be premier class at hooker and dependable Boyd at the rear. Maybe even swap Boyd and Barba as both are Dally M fullbacks. I'd certainly use the trials and even the first ten rounds to test some combinations. We may even end up with Boyd on the wing and a classy Barba at fullback. Exciting times ahead I think....

As always my attention will be on the forwards and looking forward to Garbutt becoming an NRL regular.

Didnt once get any space? He did play full back you know. A kick return with a broken defensive line. Cant ask for much more room to work ya magic there. I am a massive fan of barba, even if he dosent play well again hell still be one of my all time favorite players. I just think his acceleration is gone through injury and with that his unique abilitie. And i would rather see him play well at full back then play off the bench at hooker. But we all know Darius boyd will play fullback..
Also. Hunt, milford and Boyd could all have season ending injuries (god forbid) . Anyways. I cant wait for next season

I don't think Barba is out of the race to play fullback, I mean he has the whole pre season to show bennet what he can do. I know what Bennet has said about Boyd. However if Barba comes out firing in the Auckland Nines, All stars, Uk trials and trials and is obviously the better player....what can Bennet do?? I believe Barba can build up excellent form next year, he started to look more confident, faster and dangerous with the Football. But I have a feeling no matter how well Barba is playing, he will be overlooked....Barba will thrive under the pressure he puts on himself to gain a starting spot.

An idea for Bennet is that he could play Boyd onvthe wing and give him a roving comission whilst we are in the op 20 (like we did for hodges). One of the best aspects of barba's game was his line defence, he saved so many tries over
The line.

Boyd will get first crack at Fullback regardless of how amazing Barba is in the pre-season / trials / 9's.

I personally think he'd be better off playing 80 minutes at Fullback for the Jets than 20 minutes off the bench for us, but that's up to Wayne.

I hope he plays for another team, as I'd rather see Barba playing fullback fulltime at any other club than playing off the bench for 15 minutes a game at the Broncos.

Yep. The fact Wayne sees Boyd is a better FB is laughable. It should be a massive, massive conflict of interest.

I also don't like the idea of Barba playing hooker. I think that'll take away from his running game. Barba's better when others create space for him, rather than him creating space for them.

Ideally, since he'll most likely start from the Bench, I'd like him to come on and play some fullback in attack. That way he'll regain his confidence and produce some magic. If he regains form I'd prefer if he got starting fullback with Boyd to shift out to the centres or wing. But that probably won't happen...

Playing hooker he will be following the player running the ball closer than anyone else. It's the perfect position for others to create space for him.

Boyd will get first crack at Fullback regardless of how amazing Barba is in the pre-season / trials / 9's.

I personally think he'd be better off playing 80 minutes at Fullback for the Jets than 20 minutes off the bench for us, but that's up to Wayne.

A marqee signing like Barba ... sorry, swag signing, playing for the Jets? yeah right.

I'd rather see him play for another club and run rings around Boyd on his way to score a try.

The sad fact is that Boyd will be FB and Bennett will keep him there irrespective of his form, which is Bennett's form when he was here last - he plays his favourites ... and we ought not complain like we did with Griffin about favourites ever again

Yep. The fact Wayne sees Boyd is a better FB is laughable. It should be a massive, massive conflict of interest.

I don't see how its laughable. Boyd has been far more consistent than barba.

I'd rather see him play for another club and run rings around Boyd on his way to score a try.

Did you watch him this year? He couldn't run rings around the rosie.

Barba's days at the Broncos are numbered, if he doesn't get released by the mid season deadline, then i suspect he will ask for (and be granted) a release from his 2016 contract (and possible we can add another player that we have to pay to play against us). he won't stay to play on the bench (or in the ISC)

and losing him will come back to haunt us, IMO.

yes he had a poor 2014 season due to carrying an injury, Griffin and his psychological issues (the reason Boyd is being excused for his poor form in 2014). But 2015 could have been his year. slimed back down to his ideal playing weight, free of his injuries and with a player that actually has a clue in the 6 jersey.

Ben Barbas biggest strength was undoubtedly his speed and accleration. Yes his ankle injury affected this but griffin also bulked him up for some reason. There were plenty of times this season where barba beat a guy with his step but couldn't accelerate to notch up a line break. If he can recapture that speed he'll be deadly again

I honestly believe that Barba may possibly find himself out of first grade next year. Boyd will play fullback regardless of how well he is playing and Milford and Hunt will be the halves if they aren't Bennett is just plain stupid. He may be used of the bench as a utility player running at a tired defence in the closing stages of each half.

Active Now

• NSW stables
  • Totally Unr3al
  • Old Mate
  • Fitzy
  • BruiserMk1
  • bb_gun
  • Sproj
  • Big Del
  • Robboi_321
  • Mr Fourex
  • Allo
  • Kev_Guz
  • sooticus
  • phoenix
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.