where will barba play??

Barba's days at the Broncos are numbered, if he doesn't get released by the mid season deadline, then i suspect he will ask for (and be granted) a release from his 2016 contract (and possible we can add another player that we have to pay to play against us). he won't stay to play on the bench (or in the ISC)

and losing him will come back to haunt us, IMO.

yes he had a poor 2014 season due to carrying an injury, Griffin and his psychological issues (the reason Boyd is being excused for his poor form in 2014). But 2015 could have been his year. slimed back down to his ideal playing weight, free of his injuries and with a player that actually has a clue in the 6 jersey.

He will when we're winning premierships

Yep. The fact Wayne sees Boyd is a better FB is laughable. It should be a massive, massive conflict of interest.

A conflict of interest picking his own football team.. right.

A conflict of interest picking his own football team.. right.

I'm pro-Bennett, but if Wayne Pearce was the NSW coach or selector and he chose Mitchell at halfback, I'd consider that a conflict of interest. This is no different, even though the connection is not biological.

I still would not be surprised to see him go before next season

I don't think we can keep both Boyd and Barba. Now that we've signed Boyd, Barba has to be let go. Maybe not in 2015 when he's still fairly cheap, but definitely before 2016.

Frankly it will all come down to ego. The reality is that Boyd has been signed to the Broncos because Wayne has belief in his talent at fullback. At this stage it would be ok to assume that Wayne may either not have faith in Barba at the back or believes him to be right for an impact bench player. Someone who can fit a few positions and inject a bit of electricity into the attack, from hooker, fullback, wing or as a half if needed. Barba in my opinion has these qualities, speed, elusiveness, acceleration and some ball playing and kicking skill, perfect for coming into the game at the backend of matches to sniff around the ruck and injecting into the play in the backline, given a roaming mission to cause havoc for short periods when teams are tired. but like I said it comes down to ego. Does Barba believe he is a fullback (the fullback) or does he see himself as a tool for the coach to utilise, which every player is in fact like a chess piece ready to be deployed by the coach on the board we call the footy field. I for one cant wait to see what Wayne can do with his pieces.

People always say griffin bulked him up, what about. He knows himself his ankle wont ever be what it was and wont be as fast so he bulked up to be able to defend in the halves. I just hope he proves everyone wrong and becomes a star again. Hopefully for us.

Frankly it will all come down to ego. The reality is that Boyd has been signed to the Broncos because Wayne has belief in his talent at fullback. At this stage it would be ok to assume that Wayne may either not have faith in Barba at the back or believes him to be right for an impact bench player. Someone who can fit a few positions and inject a bit of electricity into the attack, from hooker, fullback, wing or as a half if needed. Barba in my opinion has these qualities, speed, elusiveness, acceleration and some ball playing and kicking skill, perfect for coming into the game at the backend of matches to sniff around the ruck and injecting into the play in the backline, given a roaming mission to cause havoc for short periods when teams are tired. but like I said it comes down to ego. Does Barba believe he is a fullback (the fullback) or does he see himself as a tool for the coach to utilise, which every player is in fact like a chess piece ready to be deployed by the coach on the board we call the footy field. I for one cant wait to see what Wayne can do with his pieces.

You know what, I think that could work. Makes sense to me anyway

This thread is focussed on where and how Barba will be utilised by WB. Another Boyd vs. Barba argument will not be tolerated, and thread bans will be handed quickly. You have been warned!

It will certainly be an interesting time for Barba next season.

Hopefully he can regain a bit of confidence/form and Wayne can find a permanent spot in the 17 for him, as i still feel he has a lot to offer us.

I think the pre-season trials are going to carry a lot more importance than they usually do. We have a lot of decent players to only fill so many spots. Competition for starting numbers will be at fever pitch.

Mark my words, Ben Barba will be our fullback in at least one of our trial matches this year. Bennett will give him a chance to prove he is returning to form, and is at least capable of offering as much or more to the team than Boyd does. Bennett may play favorites with Boyd, but if he keeps Boyd in the 1 while Barba is clearly playing better footy, the media will be all over Bennett and Boyd like shit on velcro.

Bennett has already said that Boyd is the best fullback out of all of them and that he will play fullback....not really sure why people are thinking its still up in the air lol.

We still seem short of one quality wing option. Either we have Copley there (in which case the mediocrity is at left centre) or Maranta on the right (who is improved but still not high quality). In an overall sense having Boyd outside of Hodges to finish tries and Barba at fullback makes for the best all round team. That said, we all know that isn't happening.

Frankly I kinda hope Barba just gets released to join the Cowboys or something. He might be a dangerous bench option like he was when he first broke into the NRL but honestly, we could shove one of the Nikorimas to come on off the bench and run the ball a lot and try and just be dangerous. It's a role designed for those young, cheap players, not people of Barba's abilities and more importantly salary. I don't feel long term Barba has a future with the Broncos as a #14, so I'd rather see the #14 be somebody who does have a future with us. Plus we could use the money to buy a decent winger, maybe WB can secure Nightingale or something. He'd be awesome outside Hodges.

But to answer the question, off the bench, where he'll be a pretty dangerous player that we'll never, ever get the most from either as an individual or in a team sense.

Last edited:
Barba will in all likelihood be the aforementioned impact player however WB will consider injuries so Barba would likely be in his plans. Some might not believe it but I'm certain if the situation warrants it Boyd may switch to the wing and Barba into fullback although he didn't do a lot this year to warrant the position. Something WB said earlier about inheriting a team and going with what we've got makes me think he wants to hit 2016 hard so perhaps Barba may only last next year unless he has a really good season.

Maybe WB has a plan to rest Hodges at times to make sure he can last the season, bring Hodges off either the final 20 of a game when it looks decided or the final 15 of each half and allow Barba to roam in his place.

Would be a huge risk, however we saw with Berrigan/Hodges in 2006 that WB is willing to try something new once in awhile.

Maybe WB has a plan to rest Hodges at times to make sure he can last the season, bring Hodges off either the final 20 of a game when it looks decided or the final 15 of each half and allow Barba to roam in his place.

Would be a huge risk, however we saw with Berrigan/Hodges in 2006 that WB is willing to try something new once in awhile.

Boyd centre in attack?

I'm not sure if it's just rumor but it was mentioned on Radio by a Bronco's old boy that now has a coaching job
that they are looking at Barba as a centre and Reid will move to the back row with Parker moving permanently to
prop. I do feel No6 was the position for him though and it was the position he played all his life until senior footy.

If Reed moves to "the back row", he's never getting a run, Thaiday Glenn Gillett & Oates all poop on him.

I'd really hate to see Barba's defence in the centres as well.. would need a LOT of work, and probably a couple more KG's of muscle.

Active Now

• winslow_wong
  • Yellowfella
  • FACTHUNT
  • IceWorks
  • Justwin
  • Cavalo
  • bb_gun
  • Harry Sack
  • Lurker
  • Xzei
  • Battler
  • Allo
  • Browny
  • mrtij
  • Scdeac
  • Foordy
  • Waynesaurus
  • Kev_Guz
  • Santa
  • Skyblues87
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.