where will barba play??

Its not that @broncospwn doesn't consider him a fullback, its that Wayne Bennett has already come out and said that Milford will definitely be starting the season at 5/8.

So there is really no point talking about him in any other position.

Yeah but it doesn't matter what he came out and said. What matters is how they fare in pre season. If things don't work out smoothly with the players playing in the position "Bennett has come out and said" that they would, there's nothing stopping Bennett from changing his original plans. We could very well see Barba, Milford and Boyd playing in different positions to what we expected. I'm not saying that's the case, I'm just saying no position has been finalised yet. We have a long way before round 1, anything could happen during that time...

Yeah but it doesn't matter what he came out and said. What matters is how they fare in pre season. If things don't work out smoothly with the players playing in the position "Bennett has come out and said" that they would, there's nothing stopping Bennett from changing his original plans. We could very well see Barba, Milford and Boyd playing in different positions to what we expected. I'm not saying that's the case, I'm just saying no position has been finalised yet. We have a long way before round 1, anything could happen during that time...
Milford won't change from 5/8.
WB said something along the lines of Milford will stay at 5/8 and we are prepared to go through short term pain for long term gain in his case

I personally believe that a Hunt/Milford combo is better than a Hunt/Barba combo in the halves, I see Barba as a fullback. I even think in the future that the Hunt/Milford combo could be used for Queensland and Australia.

Milford is a better half than Barba purely because he has more potential. Barba is a complete nuffy there...doesn't even play like one.
Both are definitely 100% fullbacks (in attack) though. Milford might develop the skills for a half, but just because he's a deadly runner doesn't mean he's going to be a real organiser or creator or whatever. But he's easily more talented than Barba, so we'll see.

Milford is a better half than Barba purely because he has more potential. Barba is a complete nuffy there...doesn't even play like one.
Both are definitely 100% fullbacks (in attack) though. Milford might develop the skills for a half, but just because he's a deadly runner doesn't mean he's going to be a real organiser or creator or whatever. But he's easily more talented than Barba, so we'll see.

I have seen Milford create, he already has a good passing and kicking game.

Completely agree, I see Milford more of a half than Barba, but I feel Milford is potentially more dangerous when playing fullback compared to five-eighth due to his running game. But hopefully he can still use his deadly running game from five-eighth and be just as lethal, which I'm sure he will. I'm actually excited about Milford. Its the first time we'll have a player with such flair and attacking brilliance. We've never really had a Benji Marshall or Shaun Johnson type player in our halves.

Since both Barba and Milford are dangerous ball runners is the reason I would prefer both Barba and Milford in the spine. That way they can both swap and change between five-eighth and fullback, which in my opinion would be a dangerous proposition form any opposition defence.

I also see milford as a better half than ben barba, but to say he has way nore talent... how many daly m's has milford won? Barba is in a form slump. Milford is not. Compare ben barbas 2012 to milfords 2014 and tell me which is better??

I also see milford as a better half than ben barba, but to say he has way nore talent... how many daly m's has milford won? Barba is in a form slump. Milford is not. Compare ben barbas 2012 to milfords 2014 and tell me which is better??

Lockyer has never won a Dally M either, you know.

A slump that's now two years and counting...

in 2013 he still scored 10 tries in 15 games for the Bulldogs, not a bad form slump, especially considering the problems he had throughout the year

Very true. Good point. In fact, I think he scored in his comeback game against the Rabbitohs, I think it was.

I agree Barba is in a form slump, and the exciting thing is when he finds he's way out of this little rut, he will be dangerous. When he's confident, he's deadly and has the talent to be a star once again. One does simply not play as well as he has by fluke. It is all talent, good coaching and confidence... Once he regains that - lookout.

Sort of off topic, but I find it strange how Lockyer didn't win a Dally M Medal. How can one be the worlds best on two occasions and win the golden boot, but not be the competitions best? in 2003 there was no award that year and Lockyer won the golden boot, but apparently Craig Gower was going to win. Likewise in 2006 Darren Lockyer won the golden boot, but Cameron Smith won the Dally M. Its strange how the voting occurs.

Last edited:
I agree Barba is in a form slump, and the exciting thing is when he finds he's way out of this little rut, he will be dangerous. When he's confident, he's deadly and has the talent to be a star once again. One does simply not play as well as he has by fluke. It is all talent, good coaching and confidence... Once he regains that - lookout.

Sort of off topic, but I find it strange how Lockyer didn't win a Dally M Medal. How can one be the worlds best on two occasions and win the golden boot, but not be the competitions best? in 2003 there was no award that year and Lockyer won the golden boot, but apparently Craig Gower was going to win. Likewise in 2006 Darren Lockyer won the golden boot, but Cameron Smith won the Dally M. Its strange how the voting occurs.

Sydney Media Awards. They don't mean anything.

Sydney Media Awards. They don't mean anything.

true, if they want them to actually mean something, they should take the voting away from the media and do it similar to the AFL's brownlow medal

Dally Ms only mean something when it comes to Barba, apparently.

Dally M medal aside, you can't deny that Barba was electrifying to say the least. He was one of the best players in the competition in 2012, if not the best. He had a remarkable year, and in my opinion had a better season than many other players have ever produced.

Even that dimwit Stuart worked out Milford had to go 5/8
I think he put him there in a last ditch effort to make him stay - hoping it would show us that he's not the man for the 5/8th position lol. He was a shadow of himself at 5/8th.

In Barbas case it was clear that he was the best player all year though, so it does actually mean something. His 2012 was up there with the best years most of us will probably ever see from a player.

Last edited:
I think he put him there in a last ditch effort to make him stay - hoping it would show us that he's not the man for the 5/8th position lol. He was a shadow of himself at 5/8th.

In Barbas case it was clear that he was the best player all year though, so it does actually mean something. His 2012 was up there with the best years most of us will probably ever see from a player.

So Wait, Ricky Stuart played Milford at 6 in the hope that we'd see he was no good in that position, and somehow that would convince him to stay at the Raiders. That's Pure Gold!!

Active Now

• Fitzy
  • NSW stables
  • Totally Unr3al
  • Old Mate
  • BruiserMk1
  • bb_gun
  • Sproj
  • Big Del
  • Robboi_321
  • Mr Fourex
  • Allo
  • Kev_Guz
  • sooticus
  • phoenix
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.