NEWS Why Haas Rejected 6m Offer

Few key points from that.

The real amount for his extension offer was 950k a year.

Haas is on 748k this year, 798k next year, 848k for the 2024 season.

It's pretty obviously not a money issue and a management issue. There won't be any contract talks until his management situation is sorted out, and luckily, there's no rush. We have until November of next year before other clubs can approach him for a deal.

Few key points from that.

The real amount for his extension offer was 950k a year.

Haas is on 748k this year, 798k next year, 848k for the 2024 season.

It's pretty obviously not a money issue and a management issue. There won't be any contract talks until his management situation is sorted out, and luckily, there's no rush. We have until November of next year before other clubs can approach him for a deal.
I really hope we don’t go past that 900k mark. Most teams would be content with Flegler and Patty as their starting front rows.

850k next season is already pushing the limits, no way I’d go above that and it might even be too much given how our other middle forwards are progressing.

Spend that on another quality spine player and we will win more games.

I really hope we don’t go past that 900k mark. Most teams would be content with Flegler and Patty as their starting front rows.
If anyone knows what players are worth, it's DD and Ikin knows his shit too. So I'll trust the club to do what's right for us long term, we no longer have Paul White in charge giving insane contracts.

Finally some no BS factual reporting by a journo.
Only because of information provided in court documents I'd say.

I think $850k-$900k for Haas is reasonable... maybe $900k is a bit overs. But if Fifita is looking at $800k then Haas is worth more than him and I can see additional strings being added to Haas' bow that will make him worth that.

Lolo is on $1m a year and still has no offload... Haas is working on his passing game under Kevvie (he had that awesome try assist last year and they're putting shape around him this year) and he's looking for offloads when the defence gets loose on him.

I'm really loving the way Kevvie is looking to use Haas this year and evolving his game.

Confidence of the current team could very well see Haas explode in form this year... just needs to get his shoulder right and realise the guys around him are contributing so he can focus on other opportunities happening around him.

850k next season is already pushing the limits, no way I’d go above that and it might even be too much given how our other middle forwards are progressing.

Spend that on another quality spine player and we will win more games.
Doesn't really work that way, you need top quality props and you just can't get 1/6 players easily, even if you have the money they just don't come up very often.

If Flegler/Carrigan keep up their form they will field 800k offers and we'll need to pay that to keep them. The only way to work around it is to try to keep finding no namers and hoping they play above their pay packet.

Flegler in particular can sign elsewhere on November 1st, and if he gets the stupid out of his game, he will attract 750k easily.

If we use Melbourne as an example, NAS is on 675k and J Brom is on 660k, that's 1.35m, so you either split it up like that or you go a 900k player next to a 450k player, like a Jensen/Molo who are in that 500k range.

So it's not really a case of is a prop worth 850-900k, it's is Haas worth 200k more than a 700k prop because that's about the base line for 90% of good props that play first grade every week.

Klemmer is on 820, AFB is on 820, JFH is on 900+. Is he in that category? Definitely. Do we want a prop in that category? That's a tougher answer, if you're Melbourne and you can have 4 superstars in your spine (Paps/Hughes/Munster/Grant) so you go a bit lighter elsewhere but they're literally the only club that somehow manages to find one superstar after the next in their spine, every other club is playing with 1-2 spine stars and filling the team elsewhere because you just can't get 4 or even 3 elite spine players.

Personally, I would pull Haas' extension offer and talk about things this time next year, when we'll also have to extend Carrigan. Those two are good mates and if we're flying high there's a good chance they'll both agree to take less and stick together.

The question is can we afford to have three highly paid props when Carrigan and Flegler invariably need pay rises.

Haas on $900k and Patty/Flegler on $700k each is going to ruin our cap (or at least our ability to assemble a premiership capable spine). I think long term we need to settle on two of them and fill out the pack with your Jensen, Palasia, Kennedy types.

it will be a good test of Haas' ego. maybe the last few years he's felt he deserved the 1mill because he was doing the lions share of the work in amongst absolute rabble.

this year might prove that we can have multiple members stepping up to reduce the load - can haas now focus on being part of a team instead of a lone warrior?

Doesn't really work that way, you need top quality props and you just can't get 1/6 players easily, even if you have the money they just don't come up very often.

If Flegler/Carrigan keep up their form they will field 800k offers and we'll need to pay that to keep them. The only way to work around it is to try to keep finding no namers and hoping they play above their pay packet.

Flegler in particular can sign elsewhere on November 1st, and if he gets the stupid out of his game, he will attract 750k easily.

If we use Melbourne as an example, NAS is on 675k and J Brom is on 660k, that's 1.35m, so you either split it up like that or you go a 900k player next to a 450k player, like a Jensen/Molo who are in that 500k range.

So it's not really a case of is a prop worth 850-900k, it's is Haas worth 200k more than a 700k prop because that's about the base line for 90% of good props that play first grade every week.

Klemmer is on 820, AFB is on 820, JFH is on 900+. Is he in that category? Definitely. Do we want a prop in that category? That's a tougher answer, if you're Melbourne and you can have 4 superstars in your spine (Paps/Hughes/Munster/Grant) so you go a bit lighter elsewhere but they're literally the only club that somehow manages to find one superstar after the next in their spine, every other club is playing with 1-2 spine stars and filling the team elsewhere because you just can't get 4 or even 3 elite spine players.

Personally, I would pull Haas' extension offer and talk about things this time next year, when we'll also have to extend Carrigan. Those two are good mates and if we're flying high there's a good chance they'll both agree to take less and stick together.
I'd say Melbourne have it right and the baseline for good props is overvalued elsewhere. Just because sides are paying that money for Klemmer etc doesn't mean it's a good decision. The Rabbits were blowing teams away last year with a front row of Nicholls and Tatola, the Panthers won the GF with Leota and JFH, the Storm are constantly at the top without forking out big money. Just good solid players doing their job. I think the importance of the spine is growing every year, if you want to win a GF it's all that matters.

The longer we keep playing well, the more Payne's value to this side is decreasing - its a bit of a funny one.
I want Payne to be here long-term, but 800k seems about top dollar for him imo, if we are smart..
From reports, Reyno is on 800k a year and there is no way that Payne is more important to this team than Reyno.
Similarly with Herbie, we shouldn't be paying overs for him. I know the Dolphins will likely go well over our offer, but if he cares about winning, hopefully we are showing him the right signs. He'd be signing with a club that he has no idea who the spine will be, so not sure that is a smart decision from a wining perspective.
Hopefully we can lock Cobbo up PRIOR to Nov 1. Otherwise it'll be a big distraction moving forward.

I'd say Melbourne have it right and the baseline for good props is overvalued elsewhere. Just because sides are paying that money for Klemmer etc doesn't mean it's a good decision. The Rabbits were blowing teams away last year with a front row of Nicholls and Tatola, the Panthers won the GF with Leota and JFH, the Storm are constantly at the top without forking out big money. Just good solid players doing their job. I think the importance of the spine is growing every year, if you want to win a GF it's all that matters.
If you can get Grant and Munster I'd dump Carrigan, Haas and Flegler in a second.

But it's unrealistic, they can only get away with cheaper props because their spine is ridiculous but spine players that are quality are near impossible to get in the first place.

Reynolds should have been impossible for us to get, but Souths fucked up. That's not going to happen often

Hey time for us to start doing the dodgy if we are legitimately becoming a good club / destination club again, which we seem to be. Time for us to start getting players to take unders to stay / come. The NRL is allowing it, let's take advantage of it.

I reckon if we offer say 550-600k to both Flegs and Carrigan, they both likely stay if we continue our trajectory and it would be good value, especially with Haas' value to us basically coming down all the time as these other guys go up. I'd love to keep all the kids we've developed and let go of the fringe players / next level down blokes if we have to.

Time to become that club again who don't lose anyone we want to keep unless they do a Latrell and screw us around.

If you can get Grant and Munster I'd dump Carrigan

Baby yoda angry

I hope Payne is noticing his price tag steadily decreasing over the past few weeks.

Just watched Rd1 again and Haas was offloading and getting quick PTBs in the early stages of that game and some later on. I'm not sure why he has reverted to big metres since, but I think he's going to be worth 900k if he's going to compete with what Flegs and Carrigan are doing. It would be immense. Coaching is working very well there, so I think it's only a matter of time.

Gents I’ll throw up this hypothetical for discussion….

Storm need forwards next year. So far they’ve only signed Tariq Sims but are losing NAS, Bromwich x 2 and Brendon Smith after having lost Finucane the year before. They will be even harder to replace because these are middle to top tier forwards who have played above their value level for some time and is a huge chunk of experience to lose in one hit.

They will flat out refuse to release Munster early meaning we will have to wait a year before getting into a shoot out with the Dolphins for his signature for 2024.

However….

We have something that could effectively wipe out the Dolphins even getting to the negotiating table with Munster. Let’s call it a Payne Haas sized ace up our sleeve.

I’m interested to know after recent developments, how many of us on this forum would entertain the idea of offering up Payne Haas to the Storm for 2023 in order for them to release Munster to us a year early?

I believe that would be a hard offer for Melbourne to turn down if they truly believe Munster will leave in 2024 anyway and if this gives them a top tier forward to lead their rebuilding forward pack. Welch has had his 3rd major leg related injury in his career too so there is that unknown cloud hanging over there head which will add to the leverage.

This isn’t a stab at Haas or getting ahead of myself just because we proved there is life without him after our last win but if it came down to giving Payne close a million or bringing in Munster on a million, I’m picking Munster 99 times out of 100.

Signing Reynolds this season and seeing what it has done to our club and the hole it has left South’s proves that top tier playmakers don’t just grow on trees and are worth their weight in gold.

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  • scobie
  • heartly87
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Astro
  • Foordy
  • Allo
  • Spoon
  • winslow_wong
  • Santa
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.