Why was Dane Gagai never given the same support?

M

Matey

Banned User
Feb 25, 2013
Reading all the stuff happening with the Ben Barba it makes me wonder why wasn't Dane Gagai given the same support from the club? Why did we just release him without trying our best to hold on to our best back over the next 10 years?
Sam Thaiday, Darrius Boyd, and Karmichael Hunt all did far worst. From what I have read Dane Gagai didn't assault anyone, didn't have a drinking or drug problem. If his biggest crime was being lazy at training or missing training then the club as a lot to answer for IMO.
I wonder if Wayne Bennett was still at the club if things may have been different.
Let's just hope when our next superstar comes alone we don't get rid of him for minor issues and let another team benefit from all the time and money we pour into the player.

Last edited by a moderator:
Going by what we were told he did realizing him seems rough. I think it would take a very naive person to believe the only reason he was released was because he was late to a few training sessions and had a bad attitude. The facts are:

The club was grooming him to take hodges centre spot when he retires

Gagai was not p***ed about getting the boot and had only great things to say about the broncs etc.

Stinks to me of him seriously f***ing up and to save their image the sack him but get him to sign a confidentiality cause, meaning they don't release the real reason and he p***es off quietly

Bloody good point. Our squad is crying out for Dane Gagai right now.

The Gagai incident was a really odd one. There surely has to be more to it?

Because Gagai wasn't one of the best players in the comp'.

I can't say I'm happy with how the situation turned out, the Knights benefiting from our hard work a few weeks later while we struggle big time for good backs. It's fucking frustrating.

i guess i never really agreed with gagai's release.

If his biggest crime was being lazy at training or missing training then the club as a lot to answer for IMO.

I disagree on that. If that was the reason he was let go, then it must have been a ongoing thing. No club is going to sack a player for isolated training issues.

You can have all the talent in the world, but if you don't have the commitment, you're going to go nowhere.

He was given plenty of chances and plenty of support, at one stage he was living with a Broncos official and still having issues. Apparently a few years ago he was nearly sacked for similar incidents. As painful as it is to see him at another club, the Broncos had done everything they could.

It was the Gagai -Uate show tonite. Best thing that ever happened to Dane was getting shafted by the Broncos, his career has skyrocketed ever since.

i reckon it was more of a problem between griffin and gagai than a general discipline problem. same goes for gagai's mate hoffman who was shafted for turning up late to training around the same time.

Seeing Gagai rip it up for Newcastle is hard to watch!

Hahaha. I can't say I agree but I lol'd anyway.

He looks lethal with every touch. The trouble started when Copley was prefered over him when Jharal got hurt, pretty sure Dane thought he was next in line, his attitude disentigrated after that. Things have now worked out amazingly for him and he is just another good player who the Broncos let slip away.

He looks lethal with every touch. The trouble started when Copley was prefered over him when Jharal got hurt, pretty sure Dane thought he was next in line, his attitude disentigrated after that. Things have now worked out amazingly for him and he is just another good player who the Broncos let slip away.
it happened before that and earlier in his career he was nearly sacked only to get a reprieve last minute.

I think if the current drug scandal and the storm cap scandal teaches anything its that character and integrity of the club should never be compromised for performance. I'm not saying Gagai's dramas were as bad as any of that but club culture should always come first, it's a slippery slope otherwise and you may never be able to restore it.

I want Bennett back. What a coaching genius, Newcastle going from average to top of the table.

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • GCBRONCO
  • Broncorob
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Volvo Driver
  • Old Mate
  • Culhwch
  • lynx000
  • Battler
  • Tmac
  • barker
  • Financeguy
  • Skyblues87
  • kiwibronco
  • ChewThePhatt
  • jd87
  • Midean
  • bb_gun
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.