Support Play
/ Set Completion /
Penalties (Conceded)
Set Restarts
Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

I think that's the best team we can make with the players we have. Hodges at 6 can do the same as Milford at 6, with hodges having a slightly better passing game at this stage. Neither offers much of a kicking game, but it does allow Milford to get more space. Kahu wasn't that impressive at fullback today, and from what I read he was pretty bad in the trials.

I totally disagree, I liked what I saw in the spine and I think they will play a lot better in dry conditions and will continue to build combinations.

Was so impressed by Blair. Ran hard, tackled hard and lead from the front.

Pretty pleased overall. Wasn't perfect by any stretch, but was as close as we'll get to a real match simulation, and in pretty unforgiving conditions.

General ruminations :

- Liked what I saw from Kahu. Considering his previous issues and lack of game time, he did really well. Highly involved and didn't shie away from the physicality of the contest. Will do wonders for his confidence.

- You can argue whether Milford is better at 6 or 1, but he played to his strengths, found his feet in the second half, and didn't too badly defending in the front line. On a dry track, his two breaks would likely have yielded points. Room for improvement, but some good signs early.

- Hodges looked sharp, as he did at All Stars. Shown up by Burgess, but we all know the mileage in his legs, and Vidot left him covering too much. Hopefully we see him chime in at the back throughout the season.

- Forward pack went well in general. Some more so than others, but I'm really glad we're not carrying absolute spuds like Anderson and Lui these days. Can't say I was overly impressed by Dodds or Blair (save for that offload), but others seem to be, so perhaps my focus was elsewhere.

- Special mention to Glenn. Circa 2011/12 he was a dynamic hole runner, and despite a disappointing 2013 he turned things around in 2014 with a less fancy, workhorse style approach. I think today we saw the product of both. Not afraid to do the hard yakka but running good lines again. I'd have him starting over Thaiday or Gillett.

Flip side, our kicking game is still our Achilles heel, and we did look a little flat in attack. The latter should be mitigated by the return of Copley, Oates and Gillett, but we really need to work on the former.

I thin Glenn was outstanding all night. Ran good angles and ran hard all night.

I think we Gillett and Oates not having played a game before round 1 our starting pack will be the same as this mornings game.

Round 1:
1. Kahu
2. Vidot
3. Copley
4. Hodges
5. Maranta
6. Milford
7. Hunt
8. McGuire
9. McCollough
10. Blair
11. Glenn
12. Thaiday
12. Parker

14. Gillett
15. Oates
16. Gavet
17. Ofa or Garbutt

Since Milford is no chance of being fullback, I think Hodges should play there in attack. Kahu can be there in defence, and centre in attack.

Hodges is pretty slow now, but his passing and ball playing has improved out of sight.

As for Glenn, using a hole runner to run holes for like the first time since 2012... I wonder why he looked better.

Two more random thoughts escaping my semi-conscious brain:

Whitchurch was fine TBH. A couple of dropped balls which, let's be fair, didn't just happened to him. But he was excellent in defence, certainly Reed-like. He ran hard too, which is all he can really do with such limited room and grip, and was very helpful with forward-relieving hit ups, particularly towards the end. He's in no way a starting player, but great to have if we have a Centre-crisis a-la 2013.

And Bowen. poor Matty Bowen. I don't know if I should feel sorry for him, now that he is as slow as a Shane Tronc line-break, or the Wigan fans.

I actually missed extra time, because i recorded the game to watch and the recording ended as extra time was just kicking off.

but from the regulation time. my thoughts are this.

Milford: Poor kicking all night, was fairly quiet in the first half, mainly just shoveling the ball on. In the second half however, he was very good. picking up offloads, making breaks and positioning himself well for kicks, and that is exactly why at this stage, myself and some others think he would be best off playing fullback for the immediate future.

Glenn: One of the best on ground. ran good lines, ran hard and tackled hard ... everything you want from a backrower

McGuire: once again had a good game, clearly our best prop.

Blair: I have been critical of his signing, but he showed some good things this morning, I'll reserve my judgement until i see some more if him.

Maranta: Was solid tonight ... I be everyone was surprised he didn't bomb a regulation wingers try that we have come to know as SOP for him :laugh:

Hodges: Was good tonight, and the determination that he showed to save that try was impressive.

the most pleasing thing about this game was our defence.

BTW, was McCullough captain?

Last edited:
It may be worth noting that the only people talking in the huddle going in to golden point were Hodges & Parker.. Thaiday and McCullough were just standing there from what I saw.

Hodges (c)
Parker (vc)

I actually missed extra time, because i recorded the game to watch and the recording ended as extra time was just kicking off.

but from the regulation time. my thoughts are this.

Milford: Poor kicking all night, was fairly quiet in the first half, mainly just shoveling the ball on. In the second half however, he was very good. picking up offloads, making breaks and positioning himself well for kicks, and that is exactly why at this stage, myself and some others think he would be best off playing fullback for the immediate future.

Glenn: One of the best on ground. ran good lines, ran hard and tackled hard ... everything you want from a backrower

McGuire: once again had a good game, clearly our best prop.

Blair: I have been critical of his signing, but he showed some good things this morning, I'll reserve my judgement until i see some more if him.

Maranta: Was solid tonight ... I be everyone was surprised he didn't bomb a regulation wingers try that we have come to know as SOP for him :laugh:

Hodges: Was good tonight, and the determination that he showed to save that try was impressive.

the most pleasing thing about this game was our defence.

BTW, was McCullough captain?

Give Milford time, remember even Lockyer took a little while to get used to five-eight duties.

For the record, based on his current skill set, I think Milf would be more effective at fullback. However, if he is to be our long term 6, I think we're better off leaving him there for his long term benefit.

Based upon tonight, I think Kahu and Hodges can fill the vacancy at 1 until Darius returns.

Last edited:
For the record, based on his current skill set, I think Milf would be more effective at fullback. However, if he is to be our long term 6, I think we're better off leaving him there for his long term benefit.

Based upon tonight, I think Kahu and Hodges can fill our needs at 1.

There's also room for a rotation basis as it is anyway with the three, Kahu there in defence who after a disappointing effort under the high ball (otherwise I hear he had a good game)in his first trial under the high ball then handled terrible conditions very well today and managed to get through the match unscathed, an encouraging sign, Hodges is best suited in the centres with the option of moving into fullback into attack in the oppositions half, I wouldn't change that and I wouldn't move him to 5/8th either, I much prefer Hodges and Copley in the centres, with Oates and Vidot on the wings.

Last edited:
Keep Hodges where he is.

Give Milford time, remember even Lockyer took a little while to get used to five-eight duties.

That's true, but then Locky was FB more or less from the word go and swapped years later. It's really academic of course since Milford has been selected specifically as our starting 5/8. Pity about that,but it's history now.

On a side note, it would be hilarious if Souths got caned tomorrow,after both us and Dragons bank a win.

I don't expect them to, but it'd still start my week on a happy note.

The biggest thing I got from that game is that I actually felt like I was watching a broncos game. A rare experience the last few years.

yeah i agree. i said to my mate at the end of the game that it felt like we have a footy team again.

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • Jazza
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Old Mate
  • winslow_wong
  • mrslong
  • Bish
  • theshed
  • Xzei
  • Foordy
  • Wolfie
  • Footy Fanatic
  • davidp
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Fatboy
  • I bleed Maroon
  • GCBRONCO
  • Fitzy
  • BroncsNBundy
... and 21 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.