Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
Hunts kicking hasn't improved although it is a smaller in goal but he didn't adjust at all. Ah well broncos never look that flash in trials

broncsgoat

broncsgoat

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Oct 28, 2013
Replay about to start on Fox Sports

Marty Deutschmann

Marty Deutschmann

NRL Captain
Oct 23, 2013
Without seeing the stats I think some of you guys are being a bit harsh on Jo Offa. He made a couple of errors but his involvement was good. He's a certainty to be in the team for round 1.
All the outside backs were poor and both halves were diabolical.
Macca was good and Gillette, Glenn and Thaiday were ok for this stage of the season. McGuire isn't a lock yet but can be forgiven one bad game because we know he's a quality player.
The young forwards weren't terrible but if the team gets off to a bad start then we clearly can't rely on them to get us back into the game. For that reason I would start with Jo and bring Sims and Glenn off the bench to keep the experience level up across the 80 minutes.
The refereeing was abysmal.
Apart from some very poor individual performances there was also some things we were very bad at as a team.
Getting Blair back will hopefully put a lot more pressure on their kicker but our kick chase needs to step up dramatically or NRL quality fullbacks will slaughter us.
We need much faster play the balls and to slow theirs down. Arrow seems to be the only one consistently putting players on their back.
All in all a disappointing performance but I'm not panicking yet.
Stats aren't everything. No stat for attitude

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
well lets look at creativity then and the ability to create something from dummy half. everyone know that it all starts from dummy half!
ennis
smith
friend
luke/korasau
fien
even if you want to push back further, farah, priddis, berrigan.
to be honest macca wouldnt hold a candle to any of these guys in regards to attack
Ennis and smith have been a step above every hooker over the last few years. Jake friend is on par with McCullough in my opinion. He isn't a creative hooker and gets away with more forward passes than anyone in the NRL. Luke has done nothing over the last few years and Koroisau is not better that McCullough. Fien? Stop.

T

talanoa

NRL Player
Jan 16, 2014
Ennis and smith have been a step above every hooker over the last few years. Jake friend is on par with McCullough in my opinion. He isn't a creative hooker and gets away with more forward passes than anyone in the NRL. Luke has done nothing over the last few years and Koroisau is not better that McCullough. Fien? Stop.

friend would leave macca for dead, luke has been in and out the past few years but i am measuring on creativity here.
i didnt like fien but he is far more creative than macca.
macca is a better defender than koroisau but appy cuts macca to shreds in attack.
macca does not get his forwards on the front foot and its a glaring problem each year.
why would bennett hook him today?? the ball seemed to move better and a better roll through the middle when he got benched

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
Blair and Sims wouldn't even do slightly better than Ofahengaue and Ese'ese? We really are screwed this season then. I listed players who don't deserve guaranteed spots and said a few players need to spend time in Q Cup. Not all of them. But to say any of them have been our best players since at least round 10 last year would make you off your head, mate.

Yeah ok mate !

holdzy

holdzy

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
May 5, 2016
Hunts kicking hasn't improved although it is a smaller in goal but he didn't adjust at all. Ah well broncos never look that flash in trials

The usual suspects have defended Hunt's kicking by saying the defence was off side and rushing. Above average players adapt - they don't just go through with the kick. Just getting tackled 10-20 out from the opposition's try line would have been a better result than many of his kicks.

Those 'football' fields are shit though.

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
He is Mr Wright, enough said.

I also learnt pizza boxes are an inexpensive source of cheese.

Last edited:
P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
We looked good finally when we were going STRAIGHT! TPJ in the second half and Fai were doing it. Hard runs. Straight up and busting defenders one on one. When McGuire was at hooker he did the same thing! Just ran hard and straight. We rolled up the field that set of 6.

The rest of the game, our props were running sideways! Getting mowed down for 6,7,8m runs. Very poor output from our starters and McGuire. Too much lateral movement!

I read somewhere in the live thread someone say, "we need to go sideways more and give it to the backs " are you freakin kidding me??! That's all we looked like we were doing! We need to start coming up with some structured moves that go forward and not sideways. Our props are being taught bad habbits and aren't using their frames to run hard at all.

We are playing with poor shape and little depth. Our halves never got in the game because they were focussing too much on "improving" certain aspects of their game and I get that they need to.. but as soon as we start losing, they start playing irratic! Stick to what type out there to practise if you're going to waste your time trying to improve yourselves. It is after all a trial! Trial the things you've been practising all preseason now! Cause now you've only got two weeks to sort your shit out before you're again, treading water trying to keep up.

People are talking up Offa but I doubt you watched his defense... abysmal. He doesn't show any urgency or angst at marker. He's far too passive! He needs to learn controlled aggression and learn how to play in the team.

TPJ looked good as an impact prop. Glenn came on and fixed some of our defensive issues but i feel like he'd be best starting.. Thaiday as good as he's been in the back row might add more as a bench player.

All in all. Very disappointing. Our halves just can't be superior mentally. They play the scoreboard far too much. They let the opposition dictate their game plan too much.

We need a tactician. And fast

Im guessing you talking about me ! How do you go straight when the opposition is in your face when you receive the ball. I wasn't talking about running sideways, i was saying to pass it to the edges and turning it back in to create space. If you don't understand then i apologize!

Horseheadsup

Horseheadsup

NRL Player
Mar 21, 2016
Warrington were the better team.
But at least back in Australia we use the sin bin for a free punch.

@ Super Freak is so right though, we always get the dirty end of the stick.
Just a beacon for the slightest incursion outside the rules.
Yet other teams seem to do as they please and lay all over us. Only time we got a free pass was during the Titans game last year and even then everyone screamed blue murder.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
The one thing i learned was that people are reading way to much into this game .

Marty Deutschmann

Marty Deutschmann

NRL Captain
Oct 23, 2013
Im guessing you talking about me ! How do you go straight when the opposition is in your face when you receive the ball. I wasn't talking about running sideways, i was saying to pass it to the edges and turning it back in to create space. If you don't understand then i apologize!
I'm honestly not sure who it was and i get your point about the defense..

But we did finally start to roll through them with faster play the balls and hard straight running.. not receiving the ball flat footed and starting your run AFTER receiving the pass

K-Style

K-Style

NRL Player
Jun 1, 2014
Yeah ok mate !
Blair and Sims were very difficult for Wynnum to handle last night. Yet Wynnum were able to handle Offa,EseEse and even TPJ last year (They all played for South's Logan against Wynnum). Wynnums forwards weren't all that great last year either. TPJ has impact but not sure of his endurance as Bennett only plays him for 5mins in super extra time.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
The usual suspects have defended Hunt's kicking by saying the defence was off side and rushing. Above average players adapt - they don't just go through with the kick. Just getting tackled 10-20 out from the opposition's try line would have been a better result than many of his kicks.

Those 'football' fields are shit though.
Nobody is defending Hunts kicking game. We are attacking the ref for not being able to control one side and giving them the opportunity to be in our faces by the time we receive the ball. They weren't back 10 all night.

P

Pushkin

QCup Player
May 27, 2016
During the game in second half Bennett looked worried.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
friend would leave macca for dead, luke has been in and out the past few years but i am measuring on creativity here.
i didnt like fien but he is far more creative than macca.
macca is a better defender than koroisau but appy cuts macca to shreds in attack.
macca does not get his forwards on the front foot and its a glaring problem each year.
why would bennett hook him today?? the ball seemed to move better and a better roll through the middle when he got benched
Friend would, but hasn't. He is average. Luke hasn't been creative and he has the whole NZ team to play with.

The forwards not getting on the front foot is because they're small and getting overpowered by stronger opposition, not because of McCullough. Talk about scapegoats. Macca was our best player today.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
I'm honestly not sure who it was and i get your point about the defense..

But we did finally start to roll through them with faster play the balls and hard straight running.. not receiving the ball flat footed and starting your run AFTER receiving the pass

Yeah we did but im still not going to judge anyone on that performance because that was just ridiculous . I agree we didn't adapt well bit the way the ref let them get of there line was just disgusting.

Active Now

• Maroon4life
  • GCBRONCO
  • Dexter
  • Strop
  • Allo
  • Bucking Beads
  • Culhwch
  • Dash
  • bazza
  • Manofoneway
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.