Worst Buys of 2017

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
There's no need for a poll to 'celebrate' this mob. We're talking about the players who pissed their fans off and made others feel as if they had dodged a bullet. It's the 2017 Worst Buys of 2017.

When the Penrith Panthers signed North Queensland Cowboys premiership hero James Tamou, there was plenty of fans who felt he could take the Panthers to the holy grail. Unfortunately those pundits weren't listening to Cowboys supporters who would often criticise Tamou for his inconsistent form and laziness around the ruck. Panthers fans had to learn about Tamou's patchy form the hard way and despite signing a 4-year deal worth 3 million, Tamou failed to cement himself as one of the premier props of the game. In fact by season's end, he was well and truly outplayed by his front row partner Reagan Campbell-Gillard.

It's still early days for the only New South Welshmen to come out of Palmerston, but if he continues on his current trajectory, he could go down as one of the worst buys in Penrith history.

Last edited:
Tamou to the Pennies is easily right up there, he is a hack of the highest order. I would also put in an argument for Korbin Sims. He started off well but now just seems like he's going through the motions.

I'll go with Foran for the Warriors. He could have reshaped that club if he committed himself to the task, but instead, he went with the paid holiday that the majority of his team mates enjoyed.

Yeah surely Foran. Even before you factor in the dollars, he was hardly on the field and when he was, he was, well, just another Warriors player. He was supposed to bring professionalism and a hard edge, acting as a leader for a club that desparately needed one. Instead either the Warriors culture chewed him up, or he just never took it seriously to begin with. When you do factor in his price tag? Ouch.

I would go with Kieran Foran based on how much hype there was surrounding his signing.

It didn't turn out to be a particularly good deal for the Warriors. What value did he add? How was the team better this season with Foran in the side compared with any of their previous dismal campaigns without him?

All Foran did was delay the development of whoever the Warriors bring in to replace him.

From a pure value for money standpoint, it's gotta be Tony Williams right?.. He played 1 game and then suffered a season ending injury.

If we're excluding injury, then it's Foran.

Hayne was signed in 2016.

But he played less than eight games didn't he, so technically according to most awards, he is still eligible?

So the list so far:

Hayne
Farah
Tamou
Foran
Sims
Mead
Myles
Williams

But he played less than eight games didn't he, so technically according to most awards, he is still eligible?

So the list so far:

Hayne
Farah
Tamou

Foran
Sims
Mead
Myles
Williams

The bolded have been horrifically underwhelming

I'm with Freaky.

Hayne signed on and played last year. While he would be a contender for biggest disappointment of 2017, he doesn't fit into this category.

Active Now

• Manofoneway
  • Morkel
  • Browny
  • broncsgoat
  • BroncosAlways
  • Tim K
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Galah
  • Foordy
  • Broncosgirl
  • Stix
  • broncoscope
  • Jazza
  • Xzei
  • NSW stables
  • Behind enemy lines
  • KateBroncos1812
  • johnny plath
  • Battler
  • matthewransom34@ic
... and 14 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.