NEWS Xavier Coates: why I chose the Storm over the Broncos

The one thing about Coates that I have noticed (especially when compared with Cobbo), Coates gets dominated in tackles when rucking it back, I didn't see a lot of Cobbo given the limited time he has but he did seem to be a real handful to bring to ground. I didn't see that with Coates.

Interesting to see how Melbourne change him in that regard, it's a really important part of the game now for wingers, you can't get bent backwards on play 1 when your forwards are still running back, he will have to be better there.
Ado Carr is no better but they’ll bulk Coates up which will help but they’ll also teach him how to use his speed on kick returns and find the ground before being carried backwards. He hits the line too upright for his strength level.

The one thing about Coates that I have noticed (especially when compared with Cobbo), Coates gets dominated in tackles when rucking it back, I didn't see a lot of Cobbo given the limited time he has but he did seem to be a real handful to bring to ground. I didn't see that with Coates.

Interesting to see how Melbourne change him in that regard, it's a really important part of the game now for wingers, you can't get bent backwards on play 1 when your forwards are still running back, he will have to be better there.
Melbourne will prob just go after Cobbo if the Coates experiment doesn't work.

I see Melb are on the verge of signing some NZ Rugby 7's winger. Similar dimensions to Coates.

Cobbo is a tackle breaking freak, he was breaking them for fun in Q Cup and gave a glimpse of it at centre for the Broncs late in the year. He is going to be an Aussie rep for a decade.

Thread >>> NRL general chat

Quote from Cooper Cronk on Coates to the Storm:

“Melbourne Storm have a history of finding players, particularly on the wing”.

Fantastic scouting skills by the Storm, finding such an unknown player, pretty much plucking him from obscurity…

really goes to show what he thinks of the QLD State of Origin side, lol

Coates scored one and conceded one last night.

He won’t want to be caught in field off his wing too often or Bellamy will bite his head off.

He won’t want to be caught in field off his wing too often or Bellamy will bite his head off.
Also got folded plenty and a nice dropped high ball. The magic dust hasn't kicked in yet. Of course the commentators made out like he's the upgraded version of Addo-Carr

Hats off to Melbourne! What talent finders and developers. They've already improved this bloke! Normally he concedes 3 and scores 1!

Coates looked really happy last night and seems to be coming out of his shell. I’m happy for the young fella. Hope he kills it.

Coates looked really happy last night and seems to be coming out of his shell. I’m happy for the young fella. Hope he kills it.
I kinda don’t wish him any bad vibes either…seems like a good kid.
I do think he is a tad overrated in his output vs. hype though

Unread

Active Now

• winslow_wong
  • Lazza
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.