NEWS Xavier Coates: why I chose the Storm over the Broncos

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
I agree with a lot of this. I admit I am salty and biased against Coates for his actions but he is also not this amazing player people try to make out.

No matter whether he gets better or not I never want him back here. The fact that he left his teammates when they needed him most shows him how truly low his character is. People can say what a nice guy he is but his actions show the kind of weak individual he is and is the exactly the kind of person we have been working hard to rid the club of.

I don't even know how it can be possible that Melbourne were able to recruit from the wooden spooners, they got one from us and Canterbury

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
The issue with Cobbo was positioning. He was too far in-field which meant he had to run further to get to the line. Had the Broncos used the width of the field properly he could have run a sharper angle and given Paulo less time to come across.

Coates made his assignment easier, but it was already easy considering Nofoaluma had come in-field to stop Papenhuyzen. It left Roberts marking three players so Coates had an open line, the dive was really unnecessary.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
I am one of the salty ones.

I was more devastated when Fifita left but was angrier when Coates left.

With Fifita at least he thought about staying until the Titans ultimately kept upping their offer and gave him a offer he couldn’t refuse. $300k more a year than we could offer would be bloody tough to turn down in the modern era.

Coates meanwhile obviously sought out Melbourne and Bellamy because we were struggling on the field and he thought he’d take the easy option and develop in their system with better players and reportedly took less money to do it. This was a huge slap in the face to Kevvy at the time when you consider the absolute shambles Kevvy was trying to deal with post Seibold and before help arrived in the form of Donaghey and Ikin.

If he had of at least been a bit more patient, he may have seen the light at the end of the tunnel and decided to stay with his mates and try and get us back to the glory times considering how much the club supposedly meant to him.

He seems like a nice and polite guy. Do I wish him all the best at The Storm though? **** no. I hope he drops 3 balls a game and lets in 3 tries and contributes to them losing games.

When he has a QLD jersey on though I will support him and wish him all the best then and only then.
100% this.

Turncoates can get fucked, that worm should never have the honour of slipping on a Broncos jersey again.

“I wanted to be that first person to put my hand up and be like ‘right boys, jump on board, let’s fight’,” he said.
“I’m hugely honoured to be at this club. It was such a powerhouse in my younger years growing up and I want to make that happen again in the next couple of years,” he said.

“One of (the things Te’o and Glenn mentioned) was actually loyalty, a loyalty to the club. "For me, I’m huge on being a loyal person. If you give me a chance, I won’t let you down. I like to play like that.

“Last year was very difficult for us but I’m willing to knuckle down and do everything I can for this club, for the fans, for the members and just all the people who help out behind the scenes,” he said.

“I really think we need to put this club back on the map again and make it a massive powerhouse.

Contrast the difference, both players brought through to first grade by the Broncos.

One signs on with no hesitation, willing to do the tough yards to make us a powerhouse again, the other bails at the first chance and says he wants to be a Bronco for life while he was already in the cooling down period with Melbourne.

I hope he fails and hard, I'm never going to wish success for anyone in that shit stain cheating club.

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
doubtful.

his manager is sacrificing money with a Storm move
Melbourne is a much more expensive city to live in, away from his family and friends and Melbourne storm were busted for rorting the salary cap by millions for years..

Doubtful indeed

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
100% this.

Turncoates can get fucked, that worm should never have the honour of slipping on a Broncos jersey again.

Contrast the difference, both players brought through to first grade by the Broncos.

One signs on with no hesitation, willing to do the tough yards to make us a powerhouse again, the other bails at the first chance and says he wants to be a Bronco for life while he was already in the cooling down period with Melbourne.

I hope he fails and hard, I'm never going to wish success for anyone in that shit stain cheating club.

Amen. I'm pretty much at the stage where anyone that signs with Melbourne is automatically a ****. If they weren't a **** when they entered that system, they sure as hell will be when they leave it.

I've said this before and I'll happily say it again: I don't give a shit how successful it makes them, I do not want that culture at my club.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Amen. I'm pretty much at the stage where anyone that signs with Melbourne is automatically a ****. If they weren't a **** when they entered that system, they sure as hell will be when they leave it.

I've said this before and I'll happily say it again: I don't give a shit how successful it makes them, I do not want that culture at my club.
Take that, Billy Walters and Brenko Lee!

BooKhaki

BooKhaki

NRL Player
Sep 16, 2020

What culture exactly? A winning one? Or did the players in the squad now help them cheat the cap over a decade ago?

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Cobbo has everything over Coates, even a better name.

Let's do a deep dive here:

Selwyn - ****, that is a sexy AF name. No doubt named after the early 2000s world famous Aussie popstar with multiple no.1 hits such as Rich Girl and Way Love's Supposed To Be.
Cobbo - basically the word 'cobber', which is a dinky di cool as **** Aussie word.

Xavier - absolute wank name, reeks of entitlement and private schooling.
Coates - lol, who wants to be named after something you put on when you're cold? Off you trot m8.

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013

Selwyn - ****, that is a sexy AF name. No doubt named after the early 2000s world famous Aussie popstar with multiple no.1 hits such as Rich Girl and Way Love's Supposed To Be.
Cobbo - basically the word 'cobber', which is a dinky di cool as **** Aussie word.
Couple of bangers there. Selwyn went alright.

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018

Coates - lol, who wants to be named after something you put on when you're cold? Off you trot m8.
I agree. I mean who spells the start of their name with an 'X' and then lamely pronounces it as a "Z'? So frikkin pretentious!

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
doubtful.

his manager is sacrificing money with a Storm move

Melbourne is a much more expensive city to live in, away from his family and friends and Melbourne storm were busted for rorting the salary cap by millions for years..

Doubtful indeed

What do you both mean.......?

Are you saying Coates moved to Melbourne to play for less money than he would have got at Brisbane....?

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013

I love the way your mind works.

something

something

QCup Player
Jun 6, 2015
Man some of y'all are too salty.

I'd take Xavier back, he's going to be a great winger one day, and truthfully I think a few years under Bellyache will give him the smarts that he is obviously lacking right now. But, that being said, I also don't give a shit if he never comes back either.

As someone said earlier, he seems like a Titan lol

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
What do you both mean.......?

Are you saying Coates moved to Melbourne to play for less money than he would have got at Brisbane....?

that's exactly what we mean ... at least on the "official books"

Active Now

• Harry Sack
  • Sproj
  • Xzei
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Ondi
  • kiwibronco
  • Bucking Beads
  • Robboi_321
  • mitch222
  • Foordy
  • Allo
  • Jedhead
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.