NEWS Xavier Coates: why I chose the Storm over the Broncos

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Xavier Coates reckons the Melbourne Storm will be more his speed:

“I will definitely leave with a heavy heart. The Broncos gave me my debut and they developed me through the system, but ultimately I had to make a choice and I’m just glad I did it and it’s out of the way now. It was such a tough decision, it wasn’t easy telling the guys I was going."

“I have all my family here in Brisbane and I have good mates at the Broncos, so there were a few things I had to weigh up. There is some relief, I am glad the decision has been made and I can focus on playing football now. I don’t have to worry anymore about where I’m going, my main focus is to play good footy for the Broncos and it’s important I finish on a good note with the club.”

Screen2d9b0d018f34e7ea717289e3633a8168

Let's hope he lands on his feet this time

"Being coached by Craig was an attraction. In saying that the NRL has a lot of good coaches. ‘Kevvie’ has been good for me, but I’m looking forward to getting better as a player at the Storm. A big thing with the Storm is they get the best out of players."

“I do love the Broncos a lot and they gave me a chance, but when it came down to the final call, I am comfortable in choosing Melbourne. The Storm have a specific recruitment formula they use when identifying players of interest. Like an NRL version of Moneyball, it is a formula that stands the test of time for the Storm, who pride themselves on turning good players into great ones."

Melbourne recruitment chief Paul Bunn:

“It’s a wonderful result for us. Every report we got said Xavier is an outstanding young man. We knew about him through Matty Geyer, he coached him as a kid on the Gold Coast and he has been promoting him since Xavier was 14. We needed to replace (Josh) Addo-Carr and Xavier was the best option on the market in our eyes.”

Totally not the Broncos captain Tevita Pangai Jnr:

“It was a blow losing ‘X’, but I can understand why he would leave to play at a club like Melbourne,” he said. Being coached by Craig Bellamy is an attraction and I understand that, but it‘s pretty sad because we have lost some great kids like David Fifita, Reece Walsh and Xavier. But he is still a Bronco until October and Xavier wants to show why a club like the Storm is willing to sign him.”

Walters said when asked if Coates chose Melbourne because of their system:

“That’s something you have to ask Xavier. He has a big task against Addo-Carr. Xavier is up for the challenge, he likes the big occasion and in our last meeting in round four in Melbourne, he gave a good account of himself so we expect something similar from him. Xavier is one of our key players.”

McHunt

Nothing new.

I like Xavier, seems like a good dude and I'd take him back if he ever wanted. He is absolutely right in trying to be the best footy player he can be. Just sucks for us

The whole 'loyal for life' thing is what an emotionally charged teenager would say, I don't hold any ill-feeling toward him for that. Young people can think in absolutes.

Right now he is a one trick pony. Hopefully the storm make him an Aus rep winger and then he decides to come back to the Bronx in a few years.

Just a gut feeling but I reckon he’s paying a $1.05 to get homesick

Sounds like the type of kid that’ll get pretty homesick.

I moved to Melbourne from Brisbane for work in 2019. And as vibrant and exciting the city is on the weekends, I’d never have thought how much I could miss a city. From avoiding syringes on my walk from Flinders to Collins, to the smell of Elizabeth street.

Brisbane is F***ing glorious. He will work that out.

Props to him, but for us, I hope he fixes that defence, runs riot for QLD and comes back a complete player.

I moved to Melbourne from Brisbane for work in 2019. And as vibrant and exciting the city is on the weekends, I’d never have thought how much I could miss a city. From avoiding syringes on my walk from Flinders to Collins, to the smell of Elizabeth street.

Props to him, but for us, I hope he fixes that defence, runs riot for QLD and comes back a complete player.
What's your best fact mate?

Melbourne is the tits if you’re there for a boys weekend or whatever, living there would be aids tho

I would as well if I were an Ostrich farmed in fucking Canada, I would be thinking what the **** am I doing in this icy freezing country full of rocks, trees and water (and moose).
It would be a lot higher than 1/8 if they knew they were about to be turned into a burger

Someone edit that indian ‘friendship ended with old mate, now other fella is my best friend’ meme to be about Coates and Hynes

edit:

Attachments

• AF1CBE4E-5927-41D1-B39D-1A408F29263A.jpeg
    AF1CBE4E-5927-41D1-B39D-1A408F29263A.jpeg
    61.7 KB · Views: 119

Active Now

• Culhwch
  • Swordfish
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Fozz
  • Santa
  • Kev_Guz
  • broncsgoat
  • johnny plath
  • Harry Sack
  • Browny
  • Clintos
  • Midean
  • broncoscope
  • Fitzy
  • leon.bott
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.