NEWS Xavier Coates: why I chose the Storm over the Broncos

I think he will be one of the best wingers in the NRL but it's hard to see him being able to be more than that, you wouldn't have him at fullback or anything like that

I think he will be one of the best wingers in the NRL but it's hard to see him being able to be more than that, you wouldn't have him at fullback or anything like that
I legitimately don’t think he is smart enough to be elite.

No doubt a nice kid, but he’s got huge Isaako vibes about him.

That was Hodges though, an absolute legend of the game. Coates could be good, maybe even great, but I very much doubt he'll be another Hodgo.

That was Hodges though, an absolute legend of the game. Coates could be good, maybe even great, but I very much doubt he'll be another Hodgo.

Hodges wasn’t an absolute legend of the game at the time

Hodges wasn’t an absolute legend of the game at the time
Hodgo didn't bail on the club while it was in the middle of its worst period in its history either though.
Right when we needed good players to stick with the club, certain individuals abandoned ship. Fifita, Coates etc etc.

Its one thing to leave a club while its a powerhouse and making the 8 every season, and more often than not the top 4, as opposed to leaving the club after it gets the spoon for the first time.

maybe not but very similar situations

I think a few in here are a bit salty about it, bit like the ex-gf situation that has been spoken about

He’s a fantastic player, I would love to pretend he’s rubbish and won’t ammount to anything because he’s one of the ones that got away that we would have liked to keep but that’s not reality

I think a few in here are a bit salty about it, bit like the ex-gf situation that has been spoken about

He’s a fantastic player, I would love to pretend he’s rubbish and won’t ammount to anything because he’s one of the ones that got away that we would have liked to keep but that’s not reality
Thats me, im the salty ex haha.

I also agree he is a "good" player, not fantastic, and not any better than some of the other talented wingers in the game.

My disdain for him comes due to his defection to our most hated rival, when we were struggling the most.
I dont ever want to see him in a Broncos jersey again, even if he wins the Dally M for the next 4 years straight.

Thats me, im the salty ex haha.

I also agree he is a "good" player, not fantastic, and not any better than some of the other talented wingers in the game.

My disdain for him comes due to his defection to our most hated rival, when we were struggling the most.
I dont ever want to see him in a Broncos jersey again, even if he wins the Dally M for the next 4 years straight.

I look at it based on the try he scored, our own Cobbo was in a similar position and he ended up putting a foot into touch where as Xavier Coates for Melbourne.. there was no way he was going into touch, not trying to compare the 2 either. Cobbo has bigger fish to fry as he’s not going to spend his career on the wing

Coates will be one of the elite wingers for a good while I will suggest but as I said earlier in this thread, I am not sure if he will be anything other than a winger and how much do you pay for a bloke like that? Wingers aren’t that hard to replace and I suspect that’s what they were thinking when they didn’t splurge out huge dollars to keep him

I look at it based on the try he scored, our own Cobbo was in a similar position and he ended up putting a foot into touch where as Xavier Coates for Melbourne.. there was no way he was going into touch, not trying to compare the 2 either. Cobbo has bigger fish to fry as he’s not going to spend his career on the wing

Coates will be one of the elite wingers for a good while I will suggest but as I said earlier in this thread, I am not sure if he will be anything other than a winger and how much do you pay for a bloke like that? Wingers aren’t that hard to replace and I suspect that’s what they were thinking when they didn’t splurge out huge dollars to keep him
I think the tries were different Coates had fresh air in front of him and barely any cover defence... Cobbo had to deal with cover defence.

I think a more similar representation was the Nofo try... he gets it with cover screaming across at him, but he recognises the inside defence is coming too hard, so he slams on the brakes to send the defender flying past him and strolls over for an easy try.

Just because Coates did the big front flip with zero pressure on him doesnt make it a spectacular try... he did the exact same thing in round 1 last year and almost broke his neck.

Coates has the makings of a good outside back, but he has a lot of things to iron out first... most notably his game awareness

If any team can fix his shortcomings it's Melbourne.

I'm not all that salty about him leaving because I think right now Cobbo is already better and i think we would've overspent trying to keep Coates... possibly costing us Cobbo.

I dont think Coates comes back to us... to me it seems more likely that he heads to GC. He seems more of a Coast kid than other kids that have come from PBC or Keebra Park

It wasn’t a similar position, Cobbo had a defender pushing his legs down over the line where Coates didn’t, very different.

I am one of the salty ones.

I was more devastated when Fifita left but was angrier when Coates left.

With Fifita at least he thought about staying until the Titans ultimately kept upping their offer and gave him a offer he couldn’t refuse. $300k more a year than we could offer would be bloody tough to turn down in the modern era.

Coates meanwhile obviously sought out Melbourne and Bellamy because we were struggling on the field and he thought he’d take the easy option and develop in their system with better players and reportedly took less money to do it. This was a huge slap in the face to Kevvy at the time when you consider the absolute shambles Kevvy was trying to deal with post Seibold and before help arrived in the form of Donaghey and Ikin.

If he had of at least been a bit more patient, he may have seen the light at the end of the tunnel and decided to stay with his mates and try and get us back to the glory times considering how much the club supposedly meant to him.

He seems like a nice and polite guy. Do I wish him all the best at The Storm though? **** no. I hope he drops 3 balls a game and lets in 3 tries and contributes to them losing games.

When he has a QLD jersey on though I will support him and wish him all the best then and only then.

I am one of the salty ones.

I was more devastated when Fifita left but was angrier when Coates left.

With Fifita at least he thought about staying until the Titans ultimately kept upping their offer and gave him a offer he couldn’t refuse. $300k more a year than we could offer would be bloody tough to turn down in the modern era.

Coates meanwhile obviously sought out Melbourne and Bellamy because we were struggling on the field and he thought he’d take the easy option and develop in their system with better players and reportedly took less money to do it. This was a huge slap in the face to Kevvy at the time when you consider the absolute shambles Kevvy was trying to deal with post Seibold and before help arrived in the form of Donaghey and Ikin.

If he had of at least been a bit more patient, he may have seen the light at the end of the tunnel and decided to stay with his mates and try and get us back to the glory times considering how much the club supposedly meant to him.

He seems like a nice and polite guy. Do I wish him all the best at The Storm though? **** no. I hope he drops 3 balls a game and lets in 3 tries and contributes to them losing games.

When he has a QLD jersey on though I will support him and wish him all the best then and only then.
I agree with a lot of this. I admit I am salty and biased against Coates for his actions but he is also not this amazing player people try to make out.

No matter whether he gets better or not I never want him back here. The fact that he left his teammates when they needed him most shows him how truly low his character is. People can say what a nice guy he is but his actions show the kind of weak individual he is and is the exactly the kind of person we have been working hard to rid the club of.

Thats a hard line. I bet his manager played a pretty big part in the move.

Unread

Active Now

• winslow_wong
  • Lazza
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.