Young broncs in feeder clubs

THE Broncos’ next wave of talent has been recognised with eight of the club’s contracted players to represent the Queensland under-18s team.
The Maroons’ 18s will take on their NSW counterparts in the annual clash as a curtain raiser to next Wednesday’s State of Origin match at Suncorp Stadium.
Outside backs Tesi Nui and Xavier Coates, who both trialed with the Broncos’ NRL squad against the Souths Logan Magpies in Warwick back in February, are in the team.

Coates’ teammates Reece Walsh and Brendan Piakura are also from the Tweed Heads Seagulls club that won the national under-18s final over NSW champions Illlawarra.
Ipswich Jets pair Jack Martin (prop) and half Sam Walker will represent Queensland as well.
Norths Devils’ halfback Josh James and Wynnum Seagulls’ hooker Jake Simpkins round out the list of Broncos’ contracted players in the State team.
Broncos’ NRL assistant coach Kurt Richards will coach the side and try to reverse their 16-10 loss last year by a team that included current Broncos’ NRL players Tom Dearden and David Fifita.

QUEENSLAND UNDER-18 TEAM
Xavier Coates – Tweed Seagulls

Juwan Compain – Tweed Seagulls
Harrison Graham – Wynnum Manly Seagulls
Reece Hoffman – Wynnum Manly Seagulls
Jack Howarth – Easts Tigers
Joshua James – Norths Devils
Alofiana Khan-Pereira – Burleigh Bears
Trent Loiero – Sunshine Coast Falcons
Jack Martin – Ipswich Jets
Fanitesi Niu – Souths Logan Magpies
Brendan Piakura – Tweed Seagulls

Tristan Powell – Burleigh Bears
Jake Simpkin – Wynnum Manly Seagulls
Hamiso Tabuai–Fidow – Townsville Blackhawks
Carsil Vaikai – Tweed Seagulls
Sam Walker – Ipswich Jets
Reece Walsh – Tweed Seagulls

18th man: Toby Sexton – Tweed Seagulls
Coach: Kurt Richards
Yea Simpkin not a bronco for long has signed a 3 year deal with west tigers for next season

Imagine in 5 years
1. Walker
6. TBoyd
7. Dearden
9. Paix

hee hee..its not Pokemon you know...gotta collect them all..!

If Walker was 18 years old, chances are he would have replaced Kodi ahead of Dearden but hey ho...

The smart thing for us to do is hedge our bets; Dearden will probably need 80-100 NRL games before we can definitely say he is the guy who can lead this forward pack for the next 10 years. It makes sense to have a depth chart behind him if this isn't the case...

In the meanwhile, some of these kids are gunna have their heads turned and move elsewhere...so be it. As long as the decisions that are within the clubs hands to make are made, then ill be satisfied.

Fact is; a lot of these kids won't make the grade...

Walker as a fullback...mmm...the comparison to Ponga is inevitable I guess, but I do remember Ponga was a string bean when he first broke through with the Cowboys, would a pathway to the Broncos no1 be the right move for us, and would Walker agree he sees a future there by staying?

Last edited:
Imagine in 5 years
1. Walker
6. TBoyd
7. Dearden
9. Paix
Boyd is the odd one out there. I'd be very surprised if he gets anywhere near milford level considering he got dropped from ISC this year and at the same age milford was player of the year for the Canberra raiders playing Predominantly in a new position. Milford a also grown this year from what I've seen.
Also, I get Sam walker is getting a lot of attention but don't we have reece Walsh coming through as well who is a fullback and is meant to be really good as well? Who do people think would be a better fullback? And jake simpkin in hooker is meant to be good too.
We have some options. And I get people are excited about walker but dearden has proven himself, if walker wants to be a number 7 and that's it well then goodluck to him. These young guys are talented, especially in attack, but there's a 1000 players who have been talented in the junior grades and not made the jump (not saying that will happen to Sam walker but still), but Deardens attitude, defence and communication are amazing for his age and that's why I think he will go very very very far in this game

Boyd is the odd one out there. I'd be very surprised if he gets anywhere near milford level considering he got dropped from ISC this year and at the same age milford was player of the year for the Canberra raiders playing Predominantly in a new position. Milford a also grown this year from what I've seen.
Also, I get Sam walker is getting a lot of attention but don't we have reece Walsh coming through as well who is a fullback and is meant to be really good as well? Who do people think would be a better fullback? And jake simpkin in hooker is meant to be good too.
We have some options. And I get people are excited about walker but dearden has proven himself, if walker wants to be a number 7 and that's it well then goodluck to him. These young guys are talented, especially in attack, but there's a 1000 players who have been talented in the junior grades and not made the jump (not saying that will happen to Sam walker but still), but Deardens attitude, defence and communication are amazing for his age and that's why I think he will go very very very far in this game

I think we just lost Jake Simpkin to the Tigers.

In Boyd’s defence, Milford was playing NRL at fullback in an ok team. Boyd is playing organising half in a struggling reserve grade team where the forward pack is struggling big time it’s probably best he got dropped as to not hinder his development

There seems to be an obsession to turn Paix into a hooker when by all accounts he doesnt want to do it.

Mark my word, after 2022 Turpin will never play NRL again
Do you think he'll get poached by the Reds and ultimately the Wallabies? Big call.

Last edited:
I think we just lost Jake Simpkin to the Tigers.
Lol... We seriously had a player pinched by the tigers? Haha they aren't exactly renowned for their development system, maybe he wasn't in demand or highly rated?

Lol... We seriously had a player pinched by the tigers? Haha they aren't exactly renowned for their development system, maybe he wasn't in demand or highly rated?

more likely he sees a easier path to first grade ... I don't think they have much in the way at hooker outside of Farah ... and he won't be going on much longer

He will mentored by Benji marshall and robbie farrah what have the broncos got to match that , plus a decent coach I dont blame him for going

He will mentored by Benji marshall and robbie farrah what have the broncos got to match that , plus a decent coach I dont blame him for going
Is being mentored by Farah an endorsement? He has a history of being headstrong. That's one of the reasons why Siebs moved him on.

Ye true, the broncos coach only helped Damien cook turn from a bench in-and-out of the team hooker to an Australian dally m 80 minute hooker... Whereas farah and Marshall helped develop.... Sorry, can you remind me who what dummy halves they have developed?.. And we're Marshall and farah the last 2 great players the tigers have developed in their system? When did they debut, 2002 or 2003? 15 years ago is that?

Ye true, the broncos coach only helped Damien cook turn from a bench in-and-out of the team hooker to an Australian dally m 80 minute hooker... Whereas farah and Marshall helped develop.... Sorry, can you remind me who what dummy halves they have developed?.. And we're Marshall and farah the last 2 great players the tigers have developed in their system? When did they debut, 2002 or 2003? 15 years ago is that?
To be honest, the Tiggers developed some fantastic players. They just let some of their most talented go, like Tedesco, Woods, Fifita etc.

To be honest, the Tiggers developed some fantastic players. They just let some of their most talented go, like Tedesco, Woods, Fifita etc.
Fifita was talented at the tigers but it would be a very safe bet to say that he wouldnt have become what he has had he stayed there. They didn't put up a fight to keep him. Tedesco fair enough.. And Woods hahaha... So 1 in 15 years then? And its not as if they don't have a great district to get them from. The Campbelltown/Camden area is amazing for talent, look who they missed out on over the years. Folau and hayne are just 2 of the most obvious that spring to mind but there would be plenty over the years.

Active Now

• Allo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.