Your QLD team

Over time, I've warmed to the idea of playing a utility off the bench.

Dex makes a fair point in regards to the concussion ruling. I expect to see that creep up in the Origin period and I'm sure it will have tongues wagging and both sides sweating as they come up with viable alternatives to get them through.

If the Maroons brought in a Dylan Napa, how much time would he get?

Mal rarely went to his bench in last year's final game. Cherry-Evans (34) and Te'o (39) received about as much game-time as you'd expect a bench player would but the likes of Gillett (23) and Taylor (13) barely made it onto the field. With the likes of McGuire and Lillyman on the bench, I believe the Maroons are well versed and if Napa is to break into the side it's for one of the props already listed.

While I find it odd that Michael Morgan dislodged Ben Hunt who was cover for DCE previously, I shouldn't be so shocked. He was 19th man for the final game last year and I'm sure he took a lot of experience out of that camp.

I'm sure we'll see him towards the end of the first half when the defensive line is stretched and the physicality of the contest has died down. His role will be to go searching for passes around the ruck and to push up in support when a break is made. It shouldn't be too foreign to the role he plays at the Cowboys and if he can transfer the form he showed against the Broncos and make that extra metre it may just be the difference between series victory and defeat.

Morgan's pace would be very useful of the bench and could provide the Maroons with a lot of pace against the NSW forwards if he is used at the right time. If I was a Queenslander I would be quite happy with this selection.

Morgan is so ****ing over-rated. This is such a NSW style selection, picking a player with a few weeks worth of form over players that can actually offer something.

**** I hate this selection

I agree that he is overrated a bit but to say he has only is being picked on the back of a few weeks of form isn't true. He had a great season last year exceeding all expectations, he was in the Queensland squad last year and has been playing very well recently.

If Slater is out, GI to fullback and I hope upon hope they bring in Oates!

As for Morgan, he'll go well. I am probably one of the few who rates what he can bring to the team and think not having DCE there is actually good for the team at this point in time.

Actually you're not the only one who rates what he can bring to the team; the selectors agree with you too. I would also think that they would move Boyd to his favoured fullback position, leave Inglis and Hodges in the centres and Gagai to the wing. There would be more options to swap a combination of those players around than if Slater did play.

While I find it odd that Michael Morgan dislodged Ben Hunt who was cover for DCE previously, I shouldn't be so shocked. He was 19th man for the final game last year and I'm sure he took a lot of experience out of that camp.

I'm sure we'll see him towards the end of the first half when the defensive line is stretched and the physicality of the contest has died down. His role will be to go searching for passes around the ruck and to push up in support when a break is made. It shouldn't be too foreign to the role he plays at the Cowboys and if he can transfer the form he showed against the Broncos and make that extra metre it may just be the difference between series victory and defeat.

Terrific point, Big Pete. The truth is Hunt probably deserves to get the nod ahead of Morgan but at this point in time I think Morgan offers more. I can't believe the bagging he's copped in this thread. I know he took a spot off one of 'our' players but there are still some major flaws in Ben Hunt's game and Morgan has the running at the moment.

The other point about a utility is that it's such a gamble. When JT went down that time, Cronk slotted straight in and Mal was a genius. When coaches don't have a specific plan on how they use their utility player, they look a bit silly. I tend to agree with other posters that say Morgan can cover more backline positions than Hunt so that's why he was preferred.

Think about it - if Slater goes down, GI or Boyd can go to the back and Morgan can fill the outside back position better than Hunt could. He can also play in the halves if Cronk or Thurston need cover.

I think Hunt is more beneficial in the forwards. If Smith can't go the full 80 then Hunt could take a spell there or have a role in the back row like Cronk and DCE used to. Smith is tough though and shouldn't need it. Hence, we go with Morgan.

To clarify, my issues with Morgans selection have nothing to do with him taking hunts spot.

Personally I would prefer to have 4 forwards for this game, but nevertheless my issue with selecting Morgan as a utility is that he isn't a utility. Being able to play 6 & 1 is not a utility, especially when we can cover 1 easily with the current backline, meaning we are essentially carrying a half on the bench.

I also think it is a stupid selection based on a few weeks of good form, it is the kind of selection that NSW would have done in the past and we would have laughed at. Morgan has had everyone jizzing their pants and calling for his selection based on a few tries where the cows managed to isolate guys like milford one on one at the tryline, Morgan won't be afforded that luxury in origin.

It isn't being based just on recent form though.

Morgan earned a spot in the extended squad last year and has been pushing since then.

It isn't being based just on recent form though.

Morgan earned a spot in the extended squad last year and has been pushing since then.

I understand that, but IMHO if he hadn't had the last few games he isn't in contention for the utility spot. Definitely in future plans to play in the halves or fullback but his inclusion as a utility we he offers very little utility value smacks of 'this kid is so good we have to get him in anywhere'

He was already in consideration for that role in Game III.

I only remembered that when I wrote up my post which is why I've warmed to it. Like you, I thought they just went for the flavour of the month but that isn't the case at all.

He was already in consideration for that role in Game III.

I only remembered that when I wrote up my post which is why I've warmed to it. Like you, I thought they just went for the flavour of the month but that isn't the case at all.

I wasn't aware that he was in consideration for the utility last year, so I take back the flavour of the month thoughts.

I still think it's a bad selection. I don't see what the selectors and many fans see in Morgan and I truly believe he will be found out.

we will see I guess

I wasn't aware that he was in consideration for the utility last year, so I take back the flavour of the month thoughts.

I still think it's a bad selection. I don't see what the selectors and many fans see in Morgan and I truly believe he will be found out.

we will see I guess
Agree. Not so much about him being picked this time, as he is in a bit of a purple patch, which could be handy, but I'm worried he will be found out in the Origin arena.

I would've preferred Hunt, because he has shown time and time again how he can turn a game on its head, and that is exactly what I would expect from a utility on the bench.

I can't see him having much of a future in Origin with DCE, Hunt and Milford in the picture, besides the idea that he could cover for more positions in the backline is nonsense as Gillett or even Guerra can cover the 3/4 line if necessary, while Inglis goes to FB.

Hunt on the other hand can cover halves and hooker at a pinch, and is a tougher defender in the ruck.

I really have no idea how Morgan is going to be used. I'd be fine with not using him if there are no injuries - 3 forwards is more than enough on the bench, but that's not going to happen. I doubt he'll be defending in the middle, so he'll have to replace one of the backs? Seems strange.

Active Now

• Aldo
  • Jedhead
  • The Don
  • broncos4life
  • Cavalo
  • Maroon4life
  • sooticus
  • ettybay
  • Brotherdu
  • marw
  • Midean
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Browny
  • GCBRONCO
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.