Your QLD team

I can't see him having much of a future in Origin with DCE, Hunt and Milford in the picture, besides the idea that he could cover for more positions in the backline is nonsense as Gillett or even Guerra can cover the 3/4 line if necessary, while Inglis goes to FB.

Hunt on the other hand can cover halves and hooker at a pinch, and is a tougher defender in the ruck.

I don't get the logic P, if Hunt is on the bench and we lose an outside back and push Gillett or Guearra out then you are down a forward which hurts the rotation and and really puts the other forwards under pressure if such injury happens early or does Hunt come on as the extra forward?

I'm starting to wonder how many Cowboy games have actually been watched by some ppl. Morgan has been playing to a very high standard all year in his new position and hardly put a foot wrong last year at fullback which was also a new position at the time.

I really have no idea how Morgan is going to be used. I'd be fine with not using him if there are no injuries - 3 forwards is more than enough on the bench, but that's not going to happen. I doubt he'll be defending in the middle, so he'll have to replace one of the backs? Seems strange.

I'd guess he will be used last 10 mins of the first half and first 10 of the second half then on an as needs basis.

Agree. Not so much about him being picked this time, as he is in a bit of a purple patch, which could be handy, but I'm worried he will be found out in the Origin arena.

I would've preferred Hunt, because he has shown time and time again how he can turn a game on its head, and that is exactly what I would expect from a utility on the bench.

I can't see him having much of a future in Origin with DCE, Hunt and Milford in the picture, besides the idea that he could cover for more positions in the backline is nonsense as Gillett or even Guerra can cover the 3/4 line if necessary, while Inglis goes to FB.

Hunt on the other hand can cover halves and hooker at a pinch, and is a tougher defender in the ruck.

Totally agree with all of that in particular the comment about turning a game on its head. For mine Morgan dominates on the back of good field position and when the team is going well, I see nothing in his skill set that can turn a game like a DCE or in particular hunt, which is what you need from a bench utility. For Christ sake I have seen more from kikorima in his short NRL career to suggest he would be a better utility than morgan

I don't get the logic P, if Hunt is on the bench and we lose an outside back and push Gillett or Guearra out then you are down a forward which hurts the rotation and and really puts the other forwards under pressure if such injury happens early or does Hunt come on as the extra forward?

I'm starting to wonder how many Cowboy games have actually been watched by some ppl. Morgan has been playing to a very high standard all year in his new position and hardly put a foot wrong last year at fullback which was also a new position at the time.

I watch every Cowboys game. No one is denying that Morgan is playing great footy at the moment and to be honest if he was starting at 6 or 1 it wouldn't actually bother me. Nothing I have ever seen from Morgan suggests he is a utility, and please no one say that playing 6 and 1 is a utility, it's not.

As for a new position he played 6 most of his career so it is hardly new, and as for fullback last year there really isn't that much in the change of positions. I am not taking anything away from the guy but let's be real here.

My recall is he played 7 most of his career and I also remember reading page after page on here about the difficulties of switching between 1 and 6. It's easy to assume some ppl haven't watched many Cows games given the comments.

As far as next week I think he will eat it up we'll see though.

I'm not particularly fussed on Morgan as a player generally, though he's in a purple patch of form right now. Also, I've generally been a proponent of four big boppers on the bench.

That said, the concussion rules as they stand could have a huge bearing on the game. Morgan gives us some options if we lose someone in the halves, centres or fullback. His experience across those positions is likely how he edged out Hunt.

Speaking of concussion, good thing we've got Nate Myles.. Would love to hear the conspiracy theorists if he collects Farah again.

It's rare you get concussions in the back line. I do agree the new rules have a chance of being a factor this year. So I'd rather 4 forwards on the bench.

I'm not particularly fussed on Morgan as a player generally, though he's in a purple patch of form right now. Also, I've generally been a proponent of four big boppers on the bench.

That said, the concussion rules as they stand could have a huge bearing on the game. Morgan gives us some options if we lose someone in the halves, centres or fullback. His experience across those positions is likely how he edged out Hunt.

Speaking of concussion, good thing we've got Nate Myles.. Would love to hear the conspiracy theorists if he collects Farah again.

How many concussions do you get in the backline though? No where near as often as it happens in the forwards. If concussions are your concern you should be carrying four forwards so that your interchange isn't affected should there be a concussion.

I also think people are making far more of the transition from half to 1. IMHO opinion it isn't has had to go from halves to 1 as it is 1 to halves. If your career has been in the halves so you already have playmaking ability and a running game, it's not reinventing the wheel. Look at the way sandow has done it from time to time. Sandow.

I still maintain being able to play 6, 1 and centre at a pinch is not a utility. Fullback and centre are easily, easily covered by a reshuffle in any team, even more so in this qld team, so as far as utility value you goes you are carrying a half on the bench no matter which way you slice it.

For mine a utility is someone that can play in the halves, hooker and the backrow. Meaning you basically have every position covered.

To clarify, my issues with Morgans selection have nothing to do with him taking hunts spot.

Personally I would prefer to have 4 forwards for this game, but nevertheless my issue with selecting Morgan as a utility is that he isn't a utility. Being able to play 6 & 1 is not a utility, especially when we can cover 1 easily with the current backline, meaning we are essentially carrying a half on the bench.

I also think it is a stupid selection based on a few weeks of good form, it is the kind of selection that NSW would have done in the past and we would have laughed at. Morgan has had everyone jizzing their pants and calling for his selection based on a few tries where the cows managed to isolate guys like milford one on one at the tryline, Morgan won't be afforded that luxury in origin.

That's clearly not true, he was fifth last year for try assists (20) and fifth for line break assists- just two less than Jono. 13 line breaks of his own as well.

That's not just based on last week; he was also in the emerging squad since 2013.

I really have no idea how Morgan is going to be used. I'd be fine with not using him if there are no injuries - 3 forwards is more than enough on the bench, but that's not going to happen. I doubt he'll be defending in the middle, so he'll have to replace one of the backs? Seems strange.

Queensland have had this role all through the last 9 years, Slater, Hunt, Cronk and DCE have all filled it. It won't be any different.

He was roaming around yesterday injecting himself. They just went to a swim session- that won't reveal much!

That's clearly not true, he was fifth last year for try assists (20) and fifth for line break assists- just two less than Jono. 13 line breaks of his own as well.

That's not just based on last week; he was also in the emerging squad since 2013.

Yep big Pete already clarified that he was in the emerging squad last year and I already admitted my mistake. But I guess it's good that you got to say it too.

On a funny note.....did anybody see the footy show last night and Big Sammy Thaiday's interviews in the Maroons Camp? P*ssed myself laughing when he quizzed big GI about what he has done with the Boat that he had received from Storm. :rofl:

Mal has said he plans to send gagai home tomorrow. Slater is a certain starter, but Hodges (foot laceration) and Inglis (tonsilitis) still carry some doubt

On a funny note.....did anybody see the footy show last night and Big Sammy Thaiday's interviews in the Maroons Camp? P*ssed myself laughing when he quizzed big GI about what he has done with the Boat that he had received from Storm. :rofl:

It was one of his better ones. What about Michael Morgan's "translator". Milford the turnstile. In contrast, we then had to listed to sourpuss Gallen remind us how he hates all Queenslanders.

The Matty Johns show wasn't too bad either.

What about Hodges losing it over Frank Lowe fall? And poor ol' Gillo was stitched up.

The Blues interview was pretty good too with both Matty and Dugan trading barbs.

What happens if we loose a forward, or worse... Cam Smith?

Of course, losing a forward from the rotation isn't ideal, but I prefer to have someone on the bench that can cover the halves and hooker, as well as being a more capable ruck defender, and has a x-factor about him.

Morgan is very good on the back of a dominant performance by his team, but can he conjure something out of thin air when his team is on the back foot or running out of time? I doubt it.

Besides, do you think Morgan has a future in the Origin squad when we have Hunt, Milford and DCE coming through?

Active Now

• Aldo
  • Brotherdu
  • davidp
  • FaceOfMutiny
  • Broncosgirl
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Big Del
  • Xzei
  • RolledOates
  • Ondi
  • bazza
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Bish
  • Santa
  • Financeguy
  • Culhwch
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.