Yow Yeh retires

Thanks for some fantastic memories champion.

A sad day indeed :s:

Does this retirement have any salary cap implications?

I'm pretty sure they would have to pay out the rest of his contract. That's about the only thing involving the salary cap I think.

I could be wrong.

Last edited:
Really sad news, don't really know what to say tbh. I think we all knew this was inevitable but that still doesn't make the news any easier to take

Yeah we'll probably just pay out his salary for this season, no salary cap ramifications for next season onwards, I'm kind of glad he did retire now, rather than us having to make the tough decision at years end to not re-sign him.

Hopefully we keep supporting him in some way though, I'd certainly love to have him helping our wingers with their positioning among other things, Vidot / Maranta / Copley could all really benefit from his knowledge.

There's a saying "don't want to die wondering" and he certainly left no option untried, even during his recovery he's been an inspiration, I'll miss his integrity as much as I'll miss his undoubted genius.
Thanks for the memories JYY ... and I'm sure we've not heard the last of you mate.
502590-jharal-yow-yeh.jpg

So sad. A great player cut down by a horrific injury. I wish him well in the future.

Gutted for him. I honestly always thought he was still a chance, even after this most recent ankle injury.

I really hope Jharal takes whatever life has to offer him going forward with both hands, and channel his enthusiasm and energy that he had on the field into his next endeavour in life.

He's got a lot to offer the Rugby League community (not just the Broncos - though selfishly we should hang onto him as long as possible in whatever capacity) so long as it doesn't hurt too much being around the game.

Fuckin Mondays too. Arrgh

Very upset to hear this. He is such a lovely guy and didn't deserve to go out like this but I hope he can look back on his 4 wonderful years at the Broncos with pride.

I wish him the best in his future endeavours

Must be so disheartening to be one of the best in the world at such a young age and have your career gone in a flash. I admire him for a stoic effort and for the ability to be pragmatic enough to realize there is no way he will ever be able to perform at that level. Hopefully the Broncos are aiding him in putting him into uni where he can develop a new career path.

I think with his courage and determination he is likely to succeed in any field. Thought with you JYY.

Well in Jharal, great career.

Despite retiring at the age of 24, he achieved something only the best in the game ever get to, victories at both State + Test level. On top of that, on an individual level, he stepped into that arena with very little problem.

I remember going to the NYC games back in the day and noticing how good the #5 was. I was really caught off guard when I learned it was none other than Yow Yeh - the bloke who I saw in the NRL Season Guide & foolishly wrote off as just one of those juniors with a funny name. His combination with Hunt was deadly, it was almost like a Folau/Tupou situation in that whenever a cross-field kick was put in place, Yow Yeh was always a good chance of finishing it off.

His best play, and still one of my favourites to this day was in the NYC Grand Final where the Broncos were trailing by about 4 with not a lot left to go and it appeared the Raiders had held us out, possibly for good. Somebody should have informed Yow Yeh that, because he came up with this great one on one strip and try that brought us back into the contest. It was fantastic heads up play and I remember that was the play that won him over with a lot of my mates & family.

Rest is really history. Despite fielding so many champion players, there are few that are so universally beloved and Yow Yeh was definitely in that company.

Sad day for the game, but all the best to Yow Yeh in all his future ambitions.

earn-it.jpg

Message to every other young NRL player

EDIT: Terrible Gif

I still remember his try in the '08 U20's grand final. Such a good try.

Re: Bronco's Press Conference today at 10am

I feel gutted for him

Sad, sad day.

Yow Yeh To Retire - Broncos

We love ya, Jharal!

Want to cry for the poor bloke.

Was so glad to see him play at Redcliffe.

He's inspirational.

Reminds me a lot of that Nth Melbourne Kangaroos guy (McCartney?) who got burnt in Bali and who came back for one game and then retired.

He'll be missed, but his legacy will live one.

New Broncos award - The Jharal Yow Yeh Award for the player who shows the most character on and off the field.

Ps I hope every one of the boys is inspired by him.

Let's do it for Jharal.

Want to cry for the poor bloke.

Was so glad to see him play at Redcliffe.

He's inspirational.

Reminds me a lot of that Nth Melbourne Kangaroos guy (McCartney?) who got burnt in Bali and who came back for one game and then retired.

He'll be missed, but his legacy will live one.

New Broncos award - The Jharal Yow Yeh Award for the player who shows the most character on and off the field.

Another award for Parker to win.

Active Now

• Wolfie
  • Kev_Guz
  • Broncorob
  • Fitzy
  • Battler
  • Hurrijo
  • Brocko
  • Gaz
  • Sproj
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Santa
  • something
  • Financeguy
  • Alec
  • Behold
  • Harry Sack
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.