Yow Yeh retires

I'm a bit surprised to see him retire I thought he was going to get back on at some point as when I spoke to him about it he seemed pretty hopeful about it.

Not at all surprising but still very sad to hear. Hopefully he's at an okay place mentally -- to have put in the work he has and to not get what he deserves from his talent must be tremendously disappointing. Morkel said it best, this kind of shit deserves to happen to assholes like Ferguson, not champs like Yow Yeh.

I am hoping that maybe once the dust has settled he'll go into coaching. Guys like Bellamy never made a mark as a player but will have great legacies as coaches, so I'd like to think that maybe Jharal hasn't finished having an impact at NRL level.

Not unexpected but stop That's left me bloody shattered, someone so humble and so determined, if only we could of had a team of him.

Real loss to rugby league and the broncos, his will power should be an example to all

He will be remembered as a true great and not just by us for what he achieved on the field and even more for off the field

Not at all surprising but still very sad to hear. Hopefully he's at an okay place mentally -- to have put in the work he has and to not get what he deserves from his talent must be tremendously disappointing. Morkel said it best, this kind of shit deserves to happen to assholes like Ferguson, not champs like Yow Yeh.

I am hoping that maybe once the dust has settled he'll go into coaching. Guys like Bellamy never made a mark as a player but will have great legacies as coaches, so I'd like to think that maybe Jharal hasn't finished having an impact at NRL level.

It seems the good guys almost always lose these days..

Tributes have begun to flood social media sites following the announcement that Jharal Yow Yeh has retired from rugby league. Here are just some of the hundreds on Twitter from prominent figures within rugby league.

Robbie Farah: Wishing @Jharalyowyeh all the best. Congrats on everything you achieved. Hope the @NRL look after him and he's not lost to our game.

Josh Reynolds: Sad to hear you had to retire @Jharalyowyeh I wish you all the best in the future mate.

Gareth Widdop: Shame to see @Jharalyowyeh have to retire from footy all the best for the future!

Phil Gould: Best wishes to Bronco Jharal Yow Yeh for his future. Always sad to see young players forced to retire due to injury. It happens to many.

Steve Turner: Rugby League can be a cruel sport. Sad to see @Jharalyowyeh call it a day due to injury. Hope he stays involved in the game.

Michael Witt: Very sad to hear that Jharal Yow Yeh has had to retire. Great talent. Good luck in the next chapter mate.

Brad Fittler: @Jharalyowyeh tough decision. I'm sure you won't be lost to the game. Have too much to offer. Good luck.

Jordan Rankin: Jharal Yow Yeh announces his retirement. The courage u have shown over the years is amazing, always ALWAYS will be a role model in my eyes.

Dean Widders: Best of luck in next episode of your life bra @Jharalyowyeh #ThanksJharal

Mat Head: Shame to hear Jharal Yow Yeh announce his retirement from rugby league today. He could play.

Quentin Hull: Jharal Yow Yeh will be remembered as a polite young man cut down in his footballing prime. A reminder of how cruel sport can be.

Tributes flow for retiring Yow Yeh - NRL.com

Truly devastated for the kid.

Cruel fucking life punishing a remarkable young man and leaving the stains of society untouched... :censored:

Best of luck to you Jharal, and thank you for all the magic moments with the Broncos, Qld and Australian jerseys.

Pride and respect! :respect:

Absolutely gutted. The whole situation is just so sad.

I'm with @Morkel and @Ari Gold, it's fucking bullshit that a good egg like Jharal has to end his career prematurely, whilst there's germs out there still running around after countless offences.

I feel like we should all individually write a few words to Jharal and print it on a poster or something and send it his way? Anyone reckon this would be a good idea? Just to let him know how much we love him and his courage and determination to get back to where he has. He is a champion.

Last edited:
Damn shame, he was a great footballer.

but hey, let's get some perspective: he is alive, he is healthy (no really) he is young and has his life in front of him. He can still do great things in the game and his community.

This really sucks. We never got to see him at the prime of his career. He couldve been one of the best wingers QLD ever had. As many have said, it was probably inevitable that the injury would force him to retire, but now he has, it really hits home at what a career he could have had.

Is that not the best highlights reel for a winger or what

Absolutely gutted. The whole situation is just so sad.

I'm with @Morkel and @Ari Gold, it's fucking bullshit that a good egg like Jharal has to end his career prematurely, whilst there's germs out there still running around after countless offences.

I feel like we should all individually write a few words to Jharal and print it on a poster or something and send it his way? Anyone reckon this would be a good idea? Just to let him know how much we love him and his courage and determination to get back to where he has. He is a champion.

Stop giving me work to do. Now that I'm back in the office you don't think I already have a month-long backlog ?!?!? ;)

Any volunteers to take BHQ's JYY banner to the game?

God, I completely forgot just how bloody good the kid was, so fast, so strong, so skilled. The best part of that video was the chase down on Hayne at 3:35. This video actually made me more depressed than what I was, how could we lose that from our game :(

p.s - This video also reminded me how pin point accurate Lockyer's kicking game was ._.

Last edited by a moderator:

Active Now

• Brocko
  • Fitzy
  • Broncorob
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.