13/14 Football Thread

Porthoz

International Captain
Staff
Third Rock from the Sun
Re: 11/12 Football Thread

What a highly embarrassing episode of events today. Farcical penalty to decide the championship and then they give the MOTM medal to the wrong player! I think NSWRL has their next administration team.
It's a penalty, the defender hit the stand leg. Whether Berisha made a meal of it or not, is irrelevant!
Who did you think was more deserving of the MOTM?

Ari Gold

Master Baiter

It's a penalty, the defender hit the stand leg. Whether Berisha made a meal of it or not, is irrelevant!
Who did you think was more deserving of the MOTM?
When I say they gave the medal to the wrong player, I don't mean it as a statement that I think they should have chosen somebody else. I mean they literally gave the medal to a player whom the panel didn't decide was the MOTM.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-04-22/burns-belatedly-receives-award/3965434?section=sport

Porthoz

International Captain
Staff
Third Rock from the Sun

When I say they gave the medal to the wrong player, I don't mean it as a statement that I think they should have chosen somebody else. I mean they literally gave the medal to a player whom the panel didn't decide was the MOTM.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-04-22/burns-belatedly-receives-award/3965434?section=sport
Oh wow... Didn't know about that. That is really f'd up! :shake:

FTR, I do agree that Burns deserved the medal, but since they normally always give it to a player from the winning team, I thought they were going to give to Berisha, but was happy with Broich.

We complain about how League is run, and sure, there is plenty to improve, but soccer is so much worse nowadays, especially since that idiot Blatter is in charge, and the FFA is just following suit it seems...

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Peñíscola

So... Roy Hodgson appointed as England's new manager.

Classic move from the FA. Get rid of one of the best managers in the world in Capello, and replace him with Roy Hodgson. :lol:

I hope he fails miserably.

Ari Gold

Master Baiter

What an absolutely amazing finish to the season!!!

And it couldn't have taken the title away from a nicer team either!

Porthoz

International Captain
Staff
Third Rock from the Sun

I hate chequebook footy, so the winners can FOAD alongside Chelski. Not that Manure is much better, but at least they develop some players through their system and their squad is not exlusively comprised of mercenaries... :rolleyes:

Ari Gold

Master Baiter

Also, how big of a cat is Joey Barton? Incredible that he keeps getting a chance. 10 game ban is a joke, for someone like him it should be 10 years.

Porthoz

International Captain
Staff
Third Rock from the Sun

This is how you celebrate a championship ladies and gents. FC Porto 2012 Champions party with Coldplay:

Last edited:

pennywisealfie

State of Origin Captain

congrats on the title mate, but gotta say, coldplay playing would be enough for me to celebrate the title at home :P

I'm up watching UCL final. chelsea is doing to drop back shit again, playing very deep. lame. Hope Bayern score soon!

Porthoz

International Captain
Staff
Third Rock from the Sun

congrats on the title mate, but gotta say, coldplay playing would be enough for me to celebrate the title at home :P

I'm up watching UCL final. chelsea is doing to drop back shit again, playing very deep. lame. Hope Bayern score soon!
Yeah, they went and pinched AVB from us, only to fire his ass because they couldn't play his football style and he was upsetting the established players, who clearly dug his grave.

They went back to their usual negative football, and I really hate that they won the CL. But then again, I hate Bayern as well... :sigh:

The Brizz

Deactivated

Ning.....

Different coach, same result?

I admittedly watched Arsenal's match instead (which was very uninspiring) but imagine Pool were awful. I did see Downing is in the side still which is puzzlingin itself, he is deadset crap!

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Peñíscola

Not quite.

We did well until Agger got sent off.

WBA's first goal was an absolute belter from Gera - not much you can do about those. They missed a penalty which Agger was sent off for, then they got another penalty which they scored. After that, due to the extra man they had on the pitch, they pretty much dominated us and scored once more.

It's going to take a while for the players to adjust to Rogers' system of football, and we'll probably need to make another couple of signings as we only really have two or three decent attacking players.

Last season was ****ing horrible, so it's going to take a while to get back in the groove. I've got the utmost faith in Rodgers and what he's trying to achieve. I've seen glimpses of what we can be capable of in our pre-season friendlies and Europa League qualifiers, so I'm still confident.

Losing on the first day of the season is such a shit feeling though! :laugh:

Black Philip

State of Origin Captain
North Brisbane

Liverpool and Sunderland are both apparently in the running for Adam Johnson, Spurs as well.

Family ties aside, we will obviously be at the bottom of that list but geez he would be a fantastic signing. Liverpool are still after Sahin and Tello on loan as far as I'm aware but I read somewhere that Rodgers told the press over the weekend that he has no money for more signings? In any case it's disheartening to see Liverpool mentioned next to us as we're almost certain to come off second best. Clint Dempsey is another player both clubs have been linked to, however that may well be bollocks (being linked to us) as I would have thought this is Dempseys last big chance to head to a big club.

Reports this morning are also that we are set to sign Stephen Fletcher. I rate him, but not to the tune of 15 millions pounds. For that money we could have surely nabbed a couple of good signings from the continent, it's not like we're struggling to fill our home grown quota.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michel nguyen

Twitter