2009 Lineup

Bull Shark

Bull Shark

State of Origin Rep
Jun 4, 2008
BroncoMatt said:
Bull_Shark said:
Clintos said:
I'd unleash Wapau at some point next season.

Not fit enough for NRL first grade imo ... just not quite equipped with the tools to make it at the top level ...
I cant agree with that. True, he isnt fit enough for NRL at the present time, but he will be training with the Broncos full time next year, and his fitness will only continue to improve like it has in his last 2 seasons with Redcliffe. He is one of the most skilful big men Ive seen.

What else do you feel he is lacking? I'd be interested what I'm missing through my red & white glases

My career has allowed me to see a lot of Palmer's football, from the time he started in the Cairns & District RL after moving down from Weipa ... You're right, he's a very skillful guy and that allowed him to play quite a few positions in the CDRL ... He had a terrific game at five-eighth for Innisfail in the 2006 grand final, which they won.

But I just find it hard to see Palmer, at 25, making the massive step up to the highest level ... If Palmer Wapau were around say 15-20 years ago, he'd be a big chance, because back then players who were able to thrive and survive on their pure football skills rather than the raw athleticism and extreme fitness levels that are required to make it in NRL circa 2008 ... I just don't see a body type like Palmer's keeping up with the furious pace of NRL .. unfortunately ...

As I mentioned, and as you did too, he does have a lot to offer because he's got those natural skills that a lot of indigenous footballers possess ... Maybe if they bring back the 5m rule one day, Palmer might fit the bill as a first grader .. [icon_wink

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Guys, Is arron gorell an 80 minute hooker?

Black Philip

Black Philip

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
I'm hoping with the Broncos new trainer Palmer will be fit enough for the NRL, and I'm really hoping he is as damaging as people say.

mrslong

mrslong

International Rep
Mar 25, 2008
Scotty said:
I'm hoping with the Broncos new trainer Palmer will be fit enough for the NRL, and I'm really hoping he is as damaging as people say.
From what I've seen of him he's pretty freakin sensational when he's on his game!!! He does have off games though.

Black Philip

Black Philip

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Something I'd like to see next year is teams really fearing our forward pack. Thats another reason why I wouldn't mind trading Sims for a decent prop to replace Hannant.

mrslong

mrslong

International Rep
Mar 25, 2008
Scotty said:
Something I'd like to see next year is teams really fearing our forward pack. Thats another reason why I wouldn't mind trading Sims for a decent prop to replace Hannant.
There don't seem to be too many decent props around in the mould of the golden oldies like Price and Civa.

Remember a few years ago when Myles was on the market. Wish we could've picked him up, he's the Roosters best player imo.

Culhwch

Culhwch

NRL Captain
Mar 28, 2008
kyle93 said:
13- Stagg. Not too much point starting a workhorse from the bench IMO.

----

15- Taylor. Must be given a permanent bench spot this year. Hopefully can produce some of his outstanding 07 form.

Agreed on both counts. Stagg has no problem playing eighty so play him for eighty. He's not a gifted ball player but he's not a bad gap-runner. And that policy of bringing Taylor up and sending him back 'for his own good' frustrated the life out of me. Give him a bench spot and see what he can do with it over an entire season, or at least a good stretch of ten, fifteen games. He's had two seasons of back and forth now, it's time.

Jargernaut said:
Im looking forward to a different coaches perspective and how the Broncos will play next season, no disrespect to WB at all.

Absolutely. I'm very excited by the prospect. One era comes to an end, another begins.

M

mal

QCup Player
Mar 4, 2008
I'd like to see Hunt hitting the weights in the off-season and this team..

1. Josh Hoffman
2. Israel Folau
3. Justin Hodges
4. Steve Michaels
5. Jharal Yow Yeh
6. Darren Lockyer
7. Peter Wallace
8. Nick Kenny
9. PJ Marsh (pushing 80 minutes if Stagg on bench)/Gorrell (if signed)
10. Joel Clinton
11. Sam Thaiday
12. Corey Parker
13. Karmichael Hunt

14. Ben Te’o
15. Lagi Setu
16. Dave Taylor
17. David Stagg/McCullough/Marsh

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Not sure Hunt needs to hit the weights so much as to work with Peter Ryan on his tackling technique.

M

mal

QCup Player
Mar 4, 2008
Coxy said:
Not sure Hunt needs to hit the weights so much as to work with Peter Ryan on his tackling technique.

I was going to put that next to it but thought it was a given :P

M

m1c

NRL Player
Mar 16, 2008
We have the best fullback in the world, so why do we want to move him? I don't understand....

He's the best fullback in the world, not the best lock. He's excelling in his position, just because he does that why do we need to move him somewhere else where chances are he would struggle?

Why mess with a good thing

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
I think Hunt should stay right where he is. we have an abundance of back rowers. leave the best fullback in the world (IMHO) right were he is.

gUt

gUt

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
WTF? When have the Broncos ever been shy about moving the best fullback in the world out of his position if it suited the team? Not saying that it does (yet) but I think Hunt's future is at lock or 5/8.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Yep. Exactly right Rock. And we've got a great halves pairing at the moment, and 3 quality hookers to choose from. Fullback wise we're a bit thin. We have K, and we have Hoffman who has potential, but not much else there now that Kemp is gone.

And nobody suggest Hodges. Please. He can't catch a high ball anymore.

M

m1c

NRL Player
Mar 16, 2008
There is a HUGE difference between lock and fullback, the aspects of play could not be any more different. I can understand a switch to the halves, in todays game the fullback is pretty well the 5/8 of yesteryear anyway. Many fullbacks play as a 5/8 in attack. The only thing that would change is defense. He'd defend 3 in instead of on his own at the back... At Lock he'd defend 4 or 5 in.. huge difference.

I just don't understand why we would want to turn pretty well our best outside back into a forward? Why? He doesn't need to waste his energy making a stupid number of tackles or hitting the ball up out of trouble.

Dumb if you ask me. I've been saying this all along, you won't see Karmichael wearing a number 13 jersey.

If we do it will be in at least 10 years time when he's old and beginning to make way for the next generation.

Jeza23

Jeza23

NRL Player
Mar 10, 2008
Clintos said:
1. Karmichael Hunt
2. Jharal Yow Yeh
3. Isreal Falou
4. Justin Hodges
5. Steve Michaels
6. Darren Lockyer
7. Peter Wallace
8. Nick Kenny
9. Aaron Gorrell
10. Joel Clinton
11. Corey Parker
12. Sam Thaiday
13. Lagi Setu

14. PJ Marsh
15. Ben Te'o
16. Dave Taylor
17. David Stagg

This is what I would start with, however Sims may start on the bench over Te'o or Taylor. Setu, Thaiday and Parker need to be the starting 2nd rowers! Backline is fairly common sense it looks like, just depends on where they want to play Izzy

Black Philip

Black Philip

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Work is depressingly boring today so I'm bumping this thread

1. Hunt
2. Yow Yeh
3. Folau
4. Hodges
5. Michaels
6. Lockyer
7. Wallace
8. Clinton
9. Gorrell
10. Kenny
11. Thaiday
12. Parker
13. Setu

14. Taylor
15. Te'o
16. Sims
17. McCullough/Marsh

If Parker doesn't pull his finger out then I'd give Stagg his place. 80 minute players are good but not when all they seem to do is make up the numbers. I'm still worried about our front row but hopefully Clinton can keep playing with that mongrel in him like the end of last season.

ethos

ethos

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
I'd be happy with that team Scotty.

Sims and Te'o have a lot to prove in my opinion but it's only fair that they get first crack.

Unread

Active Now

• Fozz
  • Bucking Beads
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Brocko
  • johnny plath
  • Swordfish
  • Manofoneway
  • RolledOates
  • BroncosAlways
  • Big Del
  • Stix
  • Santa
  • Maddy
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Aldo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.