2014 Halves Pairing

Occasionally, but I wasn't referring to my judgment as I'm not an expert and Toyota Cup form can be misleading for halves given how cheaply points are conceded. Every fan group rates their own guys, so I was going more off the opinions of other teams' supporters. Before their debuts there were fans from multiple clubs saying 'we should sign DCE/Reynolds' or 'we should have gone after Shaun Johnson/Albert Kelly when he was off contract'. Now I hear opposition supporters talking up Keary/Brooks/Austin/Langi/Cornish/Mbye/Hazard/Hampton/Walker/Moses/Ahearn/Bird but nobody outside of Bronco fans talks about our guys. Now I haven't seen half those guys play so I can't say with confidence who's better, but the conclusion that I'm drawing is that outside of Brisbane, nobody seems to rate our guys particularly highly (Ashley Taylor may be the exception but that's all academic for this year because of his injury).

I guarantee that when Cullen or Strasser are off contract they will have clubs chasing them. Who spoke about wanting Corey Norman before he played first grade? Now he's on huge money at the Eels with a starting halves spot waiting for him. Exactly, every fan group rates their own. Luke Brookes is sooo overrated by Tigers fans at the moment you almost feel sorry for him. All those players are rated mostly by fans of the clubs they're at because everyone wants them to be the next big thing and bring their teams premiership glory. And from what I've found, there are a lot more fans of other clubs on social media talking about how great their players are than there are Broncos supporters because I rarely hear a positive thing from Broncos fans lately.

Ashley Taylor was offered more money than we gave him to go to the Storm. He chose to stay with us because he was a Broncos fan growing up.
i think we gave him about $300000 over 3 years so Storm must see something in him.
I think that if you don't watch the young guys then it is probably best to say nothing rather than show your ignorance

BTW Luke Brooke's does look to be a class above at present and will not be the worst halfback in the NRL this year

Hook needs to craft a gameplan for whoever slots in at 6 that entails significantly reduced responsibility.

Please don't pick Barba there. God. It will destroy any good left in him.

Put Strasser there. Put Parker on his left and Thaiday on his right in defence and just give him a shot.

Hook needs to craft a gameplan for whoever slots in at 6 that entails significantly reduced responsibility.

Please don't pick Barba there. God. It will destroy any good left in him.

Put Strasser there. Put Parker on his left and Thaiday on his right in defence and just give him a shot.

well the way i see it, barba is one of the best supporting players in the game - so he HAS to be fullback to allow him to roam around and follow the ball. parker and gillett can offload at will and you want him there to take advantage of that. we all know hoffman doesnt seem to be good at that stuff.

i think alot of attack will come from short passes from hunt to gillett on the left with barba hanging off him. similar situation on the right with thaiday.

copley and vidot could have good seasons just be taking advantage of the space that sort of stuff will create. and their size and speed to beat defenders one on one

theres no real need to re-invent the wheel with such a new combination of players.

Last edited:
Barba is crucial at fullback for us,

His support play is second to none

His kick return is more lethel than any other, how many tries did the bulldogs score on kick returns is uncanny

Griffins only play is the sweeping fullback so if he must insist on that then we might as well have one who can really suit that play and make good decisions. When hoffman got the ball the ran out of the line and wrapped him up easily let them try that with Barba he will go thank you for the opening

Hoffman is not a good fullback his game is way too limited.

After seeing the Auckland nines team I'd say Nikorima has the inside running for the spot

Ashley Taylor was offered more money than we gave him to go to the Storm. He chose to stay with us because he was a Broncos fan growing up.
i think we gave him about $300000 over 3 years so Storm must see something in him.
I think that if you don't watch the young guys then it is probably best to say nothing rather than show your ignorance

That's interesting I didn't know Storm were chasing him, kinda builds my confidence in him now

They signed Ben Roberts... they just want depth.

I do believe there is a difference from signing a fringe first grader who needs a job, that is depth and signing an untried 18 year old on 100,000+ that is potential

I do believe there is a difference from signing a fringe first grader who needs a job, that is depth and signing an untried 18 year old on 100,000+ that is potential

Agreed they are looking at life after the spine moves on, Ben Roberts maybe good for depth, but longterm they would pay more for the real prospects.

I really hope that Griffin sees sense and keeps Barba at fullback. If he moves him then I will have completely lost faith, though frankly, it's not like I have any to begin with.

Yep. The offered him more than 100k a year for depth... Right.

Minimum wage is 80k these days.. what's a bit more if they actually wanted him to play during the origin period.

Plus they've had Hampton in their system for a while and signed Walker last year who they rate better than Strasser (didn't see Taylor mentioned in this article at all)

Will be interesting to see Strasser (provided we pick him) and Walker face off when we play the Storm.

Last edited:
Minimum wage is 80k these days.. what's a bit more if they actually wanted him to play during the origin period.

Plus they've had Hampton in their system for a while and signed Walker last year who they rate better than Strasser (didn't see Taylor mentioned in this article at all)

Will be interesting to see Strasser (provided we pick him) and Walker face off when we play the Storm.

Taylor re-signed with the Broncos well before that article was written ... in June actually

Mate you believe what you want but we have heard it several times that Melbourne offered more than us and you don't sign teenagers for depth.

But you believe what I you want believe

They didn't play each other last year, Walker was out one game and Strasser was out the other.

Active Now

• Allo
  • IceWorks
  • Cavalo
  • broncos4life
  • Lurker
  • Waynesaurus
  • Fozz
  • Kev_Guz
  • Foordy
  • davidp
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Financeguy
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • Harry Sack
  • Howie
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • LittleDavey
  • Broncosgirl
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.