2014 Halves Pairing

The problem is, Hook will have to pretty much put his career on the line for a rookie who most likely won't make it.

As much as I'd like to see Strasser given a go, that aspect needs to be considered.

Either way I'm happy Barba to 5/8 for only 4 weeks instead of a whole year.

Exactly what I was saying yesterday. Give Strasser a go FFS. If he's not up to it Kahu comes in round 5. 4 games is a fair gauge of he's ready to stay the whole season.

It is also an oportunity to test Barba at 5/8 for 4 rounds. and if he is not up to it, he goes back to full back and Kahu/Strasser comes in for the season.

Don't be surprised to see Hoffman with the 6 on his back if Kahu is out.....
Thaiday at 13 playing on an edge
Parker at Prop playing middle third
Gillett playing on an edge

Gillette and Thaidays role will be to purely tip on to the centre or Barba out the back. Hoffman operating on the opposite side of the field as a ball runner. Limited options but thats what I have heard

What are you smokin joe, Hoffman can't see a game from fullback let alone standing at 6 with less time. If Hook puts him at 6 that will confirm my worst fears about the coach.

I don't think it's fair to say whoever plays best in the trials will get the spot and then to not give it to them. Would like to see Granville given a shot at 6. Ex-fullback and could swap with McCullough every once in a while so Macca can play 6. Can also fill in at 1 in injuries occur. And would give Oates a shot to come off the bench and play whatever position they eventually want him to play.

What are you smokin joe, Hoffman can't see a game from fullback let alone standing at 6 with less time. If Hook puts him at 6 that will confirm my worst fears about the coach.
Probably 6 fora defence and fullback in attack

Lockyer was able to cut it in the halves despite being debated heavily at the time from memory. I've watched a fair few games of Lockyer as a fullback and can remember it a little and he is skilfully sucking in defenders and creating chances for his men while running the ball back hard and making some strong tackles. Barba relies mainly on speed and evasion at fullback and I haven't really seen him do anything Lockyer was doing as a fullback.

He had 20 try assists at fullback in 2012, he has a good short kicking game and knows how to create a chance and when to pass but the problem is you'll be taking away his running game in a big way at 6.

Not giving players a go in favour of "experience" is how we were stuck with a terrible Wallace for such a long time. It's really frustrating as a fan seeing coaches prefer the experienced player, even if they don't fit the position.

Not giving players a go in favour of "experience" is how we were stuck with a terrible Wallace for such a long time. It's really frustrating as a fan seeing coaches prefer the experienced player, even if they don't fit the position.

yeah ffs. its like we're the only team who's scared to start a youngster in an important position. its tiring.

even though hunts not a seasoned 7 in the NRL, ive faith in him to be solid, and barbas ability to come into the backline from fb will take a hell of a lot of pressure off whoever wears the 6.

Lockyer was able to cut it in the halves despite being debated heavily at the time from memory. I've watched a fair few games of Lockyer as a fullback and can remember it a little and he is skilfully sucking in defenders and creating chances for his men while running the ball back hard and making some strong tackles. Barba relies mainly on speed and evasion at fullback and I haven't really seen him do anything Lockyer was doing as a fullback.

Yeah, I kinda agree with that. As I said earlier in this thread, I think Barba's ball playing is very limited, it's just that he's able to create opportunities with his speed.

If he plays in the halves, I don't think his game would change much (minus the lack of kick returns, and plus defending in the front line). He'd still mostly be a support player. The problem would be that he'd take the place of a genuine ball player, and be replaced with Hoffman.

It's the safe option in terms of experience, but I think it's wrong. Storm wouldn't put Slater in the halves if Cronk left, Manly wouldn't put Stewart there if DCE/Foran left, and Souffs wouldn't put Inglis there if Reynolds was gone either.

They'd probably try out a bunch of different rookies and hope to find one that works. We'd probably put Gillett in the halves again rather than trying the same thing as other clubs.

Yeah, I kinda agree with that. As I said earlier in this thread, I think Barba's ball playing is very limited, it's just that he's able to create opportunities with his speed.

If he plays in the halves, I don't think his game would change much (minus the lack of kick returns, and plus defending in the front line). He'd still mostly be a support player. The problem would be that he'd take the place of a genuine ball player, and be replaced with Hoffman.

It's the safe option in terms of experience, but I think it's wrong. Storm wouldn't put Slater in the halves if Cronk left, Manly wouldn't put Stewart there if DCE/Foran left, and Souffs wouldn't put Inglis there if Reynolds was gone either.

They'd probably try out a bunch of different rookies and hope to find one that works. We'd probably put Gillett in the halves again rather than trying the same thing as other clubs.
Not the best comparisons - the Storm have moved the greatest hooker in the game to the halves on multiple occasions to cover for Cronk. They also played Inglis at 5/8th for at least a full season and won the comp, with Inglis winning the Clive Churchill medal. Brett Stewart wouldn't be moved to the halves because they would move Lyon to 6. Souths convert players all the time. Sutton to lock, Tyrell from back row to centre to prop, Walker from five-eighth to centre, Clark from lock/hooker to prop, Picker from back row to prop, McQueen to everywhere. Inglis moving to fullback despite being the best centre would be have a lot of striking similarities to Barba moving to 6, only Inglis spent more time than Barba away from the position he converted back to.

I'm really torn on the Barba to 6 move. My intuition is if we do what we have always done, we'll get what we have always gotten. But then, Barba is a rung above, and it is possible that it could be a master stroke... Or a complete failure. I'm damn glad I'm not Griffin, that's for sure.
I'd be more inclined to give a younger guy a shot if there was somebody with the potential to be something special in the halves, but realistically our crop of young halves isn't exactly the most sought after bunch and if Milford had been released for 2014 I doubt many here would give a care about Strasser, Nikorima and Cullen. If you were making a list of the best prospects for the halves yet to debut I think we'd be lucky to have a Bronco in the top 20.

Top 20?

C'mon, you can be a little bit more generous than that - surely Taylor would make the Top 15? :001_tt2:

I'd be more inclined to give a younger guy a shot if there was somebody with the potential to be something special in the halves, but realistically our crop of young halves isn't exactly the most sought after bunch and if Milford had been released for 2014 I doubt many here would give a care about Strasser, Nikorima and Cullen. If you were making a list of the best prospects for the halves yet to debut I think we'd be lucky to have a Bronco in the top 20.

Have you seen any of these guys play?

Have you seen any of these guys play?
Occasionally, but I wasn't referring to my judgment as I'm not an expert and Toyota Cup form can be misleading for halves given how cheaply points are conceded. Every fan group rates their own guys, so I was going more off the opinions of other teams' supporters. Before their debuts there were fans from multiple clubs saying 'we should sign DCE/Reynolds' or 'we should have gone after Shaun Johnson/Albert Kelly when he was off contract'. Now I hear opposition supporters talking up Keary/Brooks/Austin/Langi/Cornish/Mbye/Hazard/Hampton/Walker/Moses/Ahearn/Bird but nobody outside of Bronco fans talks about our guys. Now I haven't seen half those guys play so I can't say with confidence who's better, but the conclusion that I'm drawing is that outside of Brisbane, nobody seems to rate our guys particularly highly (Ashley Taylor may be the exception but that's all academic for this year because of his injury).

Active Now

• Santa
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • Yellowfella
  • Browny
  • Scorchie
  • Cavalo
  • Harry Sack
  • Waynesaurus
  • winslow_wong
  • FACTHUNT
  • IceWorks
  • Justwin
  • bb_gun
  • Lurker
  • Xzei
  • Battler
  • Allo
  • mrtij
  • Scdeac
  • Foordy
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.