2014 Halves Pairing

I wonder why Strasser wasn't given a run in the 9's to show what he has to offer. Considering the fact that he was part of the 9's squad, I wish we actually trialled him alongside Hunt, Barba and McCullough. Given his touch football background, he could've proved what he is capable of and what he can actually offer as our possible five-eighth.

Either way well done to Nikorima for making the most of his opportunity to shine. From all accounts he is incredibly talented. The Broncos considered Kodi Nikorima to be a superior player to Anthony Milford and hence chose to hold on to him. Lets hope he can deliver if chosen as our five-eighth.

He played last night for Reddy in a proper game.

Defended well.

We would have a better chance of signing Thurston or Cronk.

Nikorima may be defensive liability and loves the hero plays but we need that we need flair in attack, taking risks is what we have been lacking. I think he has the 5/8th role down right now

Did anyone read this this morning?

He's been waiting five years to make the Broncos' No.7 jersey his own but Brisbane halfback Ben Hunt says that he will be happy to start the season at five-eighth in order to solve the problematic halves pairing.
Jordan Kahu and Zach Strasser had been vying to wear the famous No.6 jersey but a serious knee injury to Kahu and an underwhelming showing from Strasser in a trial against the Cowboys two weeks ago left coach Anthony Griffin searching for solutions.
Prized recruit Ben Barba has been touted as a possible solution but the sparking performances of young Kodi Nikorima in the trial and throughout the Auckland Nines is quickly elevating his chances of making his NRL debut against the Bulldogs in Round 1.
Although not due to turn 20 until April 3 – and thus eligible for another season in the Holden Cup – the way Nikorima has handled the step up in class has impressed many, including Hunt.
"Yeah definitely, I'd be happy to play with him," Hunt said when asked if he'd be prepared to play five-eighth. "We've got a few options at the club and I'd be happy with any of them but Kodi has really shown what he can do and I think he's really putting his hand up to say that he can play there.
"He's a real talent Kodi, very zippy, good on his feet and got a good short kicking game. He's really turning it on for us, keeping us in the comp I think," Hunt said as the Broncos qualified for the Auckland Nines semi-finals.
Settling on a halves combination remains Griffin's most pressing issue as the Broncos finalise their preparations with a trial against the Warriors in Dunedin on Saturday afternoon.
When Kahu was left clutching at his knee in the dying seconds of the trial against North Queensland initial fears were that he had ruptured his anterior cruciate ligament for a third time in four years but subsequent scans showed that it was a torn medial cruciate ligament injury. He is due to have surgery within the next week and from there it is an expected eight-week recovery period before he can take his place in the side.

Did anyone read this this morning?

He's been waiting five years to make the Broncos' No.7 jersey his own but Brisbane halfback Ben Hunt says that he will be happy to start the season at five-eighth in order to solve the problematic halves pairing.
Jordan Kahu and Zach Strasser had been vying to wear the famous No.6 jersey but a serious knee injury to Kahu and an underwhelming showing from Strasser in a trial against the Cowboys two weeks ago left coach Anthony Griffin searching for solutions.
Prized recruit Ben Barba has been touted as a possible solution but the sparking performances of young Kodi Nikorima in the trial and throughout the Auckland Nines is quickly elevating his chances of making his NRL debut against the Bulldogs in Round 1.
Although not due to turn 20 until April 3 – and thus eligible for another season in the Holden Cup – the way Nikorima has handled the step up in class has impressed many, including Hunt.
"Yeah definitely, I'd be happy to play with him," Hunt said when asked if he'd be prepared to play five-eighth. "We've got a few options at the club and I'd be happy with any of them but Kodi has really shown what he can do and I think he's really putting his hand up to say that he can play there.
"He's a real talent Kodi, very zippy, good on his feet and got a good short kicking game. He's really turning it on for us, keeping us in the comp I think," Hunt said as the Broncos qualified for the Auckland Nines semi-finals.
Settling on a halves combination remains Griffin's most pressing issue as the Broncos finalise their preparations with a trial against the Warriors in Dunedin on Saturday afternoon.
When Kahu was left clutching at his knee in the dying seconds of the trial against North Queensland initial fears were that he had ruptured his anterior cruciate ligament for a third time in four years but subsequent scans showed that it was a torn medial cruciate ligament injury. He is due to have surgery within the next week and from there it is an expected eight-week recovery period before he can take his place in the side.

Yeah I did and I found it a bit confusing. Why would hunt have to move to 6 for nikorima to be in the team, Nikorima seems like a natural 6

Nikorima may be defensive liability and loves the hero plays but we need that we need flair in attack, taking risks is what we have been lacking. I think he has the 5/8th role down right now

people are making too much of the hero plays. he's young and you kind of want to see that from young blokes. with time he'll learn when to pick his moments.

Yeah I did and I found it a bit confusing. Why would hunt have to move to 6 for nikorima to be in the team, Nikorima seems like a natural 6

its really just a number on their back if one plays on the left and other plays on the right.

as long as there is communication between the two so we dont have meltdowns on the 5th tackle/etc.

Jesus those articles are stupid. It's not going to change anything.

Josh McGuire usually plays 8, but he'd move to 10 to make way for Kennedy or whatever.

Besides, Nikorima seems more like a classic running 5/8th anyway.

It was the dumbest article i've heard what crap was that because he played one trial at 7

people are making too much of the hero plays. he's young and you kind of want to see that from young blokes. with time he'll learn when to pick his moments.

Exactly he just needs to learn timing, they all do. I saw taylor in the u20's put on a stupid hero play in his own half while we lead by 2 with 3 mintues to go and they got the ball, we won but we really risked it. Just another lesson for a young half

Kodi Nikorima

I believe Kodi Nikorima should be 5/8 round 1.

What does everyone else think?

Re: Kodi Nikorima

Agreed, he has out done his peers thus far and can give us some great attacking ability which we dearly need. Yes to nikorima

Re: Kodi Nikorima

I believe Kodi Nikorima should be 5/8 round 1.

What does everyone else think?
You already opened this thread to discuss who should be the halves this season. Don't open a new thread about something that is already widely being discussed in existing threads.

Last edited:
Josh McGuire usually plays 8, but he'd move to 10 to make way for Kennedy or whatever.

Pretty sure Kennedy will be coming off the bench, won't he? Unless Hannant is getting demoted.

Edit: I know you were just using that as an example, but was just curious as to whether you think we'll have Kennedy starting.

Active Now

• Ghost of Vlansys
  • Brocko
  • Lurker
  • Allo
  • barker
  • Waynesaurus
  • Dash
  • FACTHUNT
  • Aldo
  • Galah
  • phoenix
  • Wolfie
  • broncos4life
  • Jazza
  • winslow_wong
  • NYCDB
  • Nerd
  • Harry Sack
  • GCBRONCO
  • Skyblues87
... and 12 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.