2014 Halves Pairing

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
I have this irrational hope (but then since when is hope rational) that Taylor impresses enough in the trials to get the job despite the seriously rational arguments against it.

In terms of which of our existing players with 1st grade experience we have to play 5/8, I can't honestly believe any of them has what it takes to do the job.

Maybe Kahu will prove a surprise packet - he's the only one I can see with any potential, but then does he have a decent kicking game. Oh, and does Hoffman? A good kicking game is so important for our 5/8

Last edited:
Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013
Hoffman doesn't have the kicking or passing game required but Kahu's position in under 20's for the broncos was five-eight.

Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013
He was an outside back not 5/8 in the 20s. You are thinking of his brother Jared

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013
No he is a five-eight/fullback I have been reading some articles about it.

Marty Deutschmann

Marty Deutschmann

NRL Captain
Oct 23, 2013
man...I'm so upset that Norman spat the dummy! If he had remained patient and upheld a team attitude....I guarantee he would have been given the five-eigth role again this year when Hook did the massive reshuffle.

It was a case of extremely unlucky timing for Norman with the Broncos. He had a great 2012! It was Wallace that dropped off second half of the year which caused Norman's confidence drop, and he became the casualty of the "we can't score points" fiasco that we all engaged in at the end of the year. Oh wow, we made the finals didn't we?? Scott Prince seemed like a logical idea in the off season and I have to admit, I hailed it. :( ..... I advocated for Norman to play a sweeping fullback role and everything. Griffin also had that plan in mind....but it didn't work. By the time we realised it, Norman had already jumped ship. So bloody sad.

Now we are stuck for a five-eigth. Norman, paired with Hunt would have been a master class. McCollough also played his best footy with Norman at in the 6. Just look at the highlights! McCollough was looking the future Cam Smith and the future Origin hooker. We were on the top of the ladder for the first half of the season. Origin killed our vibe. We were all on our haunches about the end of season fade out yeah? Poor Norman. AHHH if he hadn't sooked and left. haha I can also understand their decision to persevere with Wallace in the 7 at the start of the year. Experience we all cried, experience with Prince and Wallace! That's our answer. Ba-Bahmp! Wrong! Youth, creativity. Look at Manly halves. Break out year of DCE & Foran. Blew it away. We need the same in 2014.

Just look at this footage of 2012. Now imagine Hunt in 7! Look at how much Glenn was involved in scoring tries (top 2nd row try scorer of 2012) when Norman was calling the shots. Now, he's a bench player at best. He wasn't worked into the game plan this year at all. Another unfortunate casualty...but please, imagine 2014 if Norman stayed (Braba & Hunt in the spine):

Corey Norman 2012 - YouTube

Like i have said a few times now. So unfortunate haha

Marty Deutschmann

Marty Deutschmann

NRL Captain
Oct 23, 2013
For what? Saying ok? Didn't realise that was offensive. How about alrighty or absolutamentay?
HAHA it was the sarcasm and attempt to completely dismiss my comments as mental. which who knows, maybe they were the ramblings of a mad man??! but at least use a constructive argument :P that's what I like to engage in. Debates with factual substance. ENGAGE!

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
People seem to be overlooking the fact that Taylor is still recovering from his shoulder op which kept him out for nearly the whole year.

It's a mighty big call to think that a young guy is going to pull up from his second serious injury in two years, do the whole off-season, impress, play trials and play NRL round 1.

All on the back of half a dozen 20's games.

Russell Coight

Russell Coight

QCup Player
Jul 10, 2013
man...I'm so upset that Norman spat the dummy! If he had remained patient and upheld a team attitude....I guarantee he would have been given the five-eigth role again this year when Hook did the massive reshuffle.

It was a case of extremely unlucky timing for Norman with the Broncos. He had a great 2012! It was Wallace that dropped off second half of the year which caused Norman's confidence drop, and he became the casualty of the "we can't score points" fiasco that we all engaged in at the end of the year. Oh wow, we made the finals didn't we?? Scott Prince seemed like a logical idea in the off season and I have to admit, I hailed it. :( ..... I advocated for Norman to play a sweeping fullback role and everything. Griffin also had that plan in mind....but it didn't work. By the time we realised it, Norman had already jumped ship. So bloody sad.

Now we are stuck for a five-eigth. Norman, paired with Hunt would have been a master class. McCollough also played his best footy with Norman at in the 6. Just look at the highlights! McCollough was looking the future Cam Smith and the future Origin hooker. We were on the top of the ladder for the first half of the season. Origin killed our vibe. We were all on our haunches about the end of season fade out yeah? Poor Norman. AHHH if he hadn't sooked and left. haha I can also understand their decision to persevere with Wallace in the 7 at the start of the year. Experience we all cried, experience with Prince and Wallace! That's our answer. Ba-Bahmp! Wrong! Youth, creativity. Look at Manly halves. Break out year of DCE & Foran. Blew it away. We need the same in 2014.

Just look at this footage of 2012. Now imagine Hunt in 7! Look at how much Glenn was involved in scoring tries (top 2nd row try scorer of 2012) when Norman was calling the shots. Now, he's a bench player at best. He wasn't worked into the game plan this year at all. Another unfortunate casualty...but please, imagine 2014 if Norman stayed (Braba & Hunt in the spine):

Corey Norman 2012 - YouTube

Like i have said a few times now. So unfortunate haha

You like a drink, dont you?

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Whether you guys agree with Marty or not, at least try and reply with some substance rather than one liners which do absolutely nothing to promote discussion.

Marty Deutschmann

Marty Deutschmann

NRL Captain
Oct 23, 2013
Whether you guys agree with Marty or not, at least try and reply with some substance rather than one liners which do absolutely nothing to promote discussion.
yeah exactly...I don't take it personally, just its not what a forum is for. Discussion, opinions and knowledgeable arguments.

Marty Deutschmann

Marty Deutschmann

NRL Captain
Oct 23, 2013
but guys, look at the attached highlights package....McCollough was playing such better footy with Norman calling shots to his left. He was actually kicking and engaging in plays! Dunno where all the confidence went...but I think it was stripping Norman of the 6 role.

Marty Deutschmann

Marty Deutschmann

NRL Captain
Oct 23, 2013
We just looked so much more dangerous and unpredictable compared to 2013. Players were playing with far greater intensity and effort. imo

Unread

Active Now

• Wolfie
  • Sproj
  • Allo
  • Bucking Beads
  • Mister Wright
  • the_next
  • Brocko
  • Manofoneway
  • Santa
  • Howie
  • Painin the Haas
  • Stix
  • leon.bott
  • TimWhatley
  • Skathen
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.